Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare & jerry can rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare & jerry can rack
    Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:08pm
Been thinking about a rear spare and jerry can rack since we're planning to hit the Rubicon this summer and I need the bed space for camping stuff. Jpet, the renaissance man, help me design it.

Here's the bits of metal I bought.

Here it is welded together and hanging in my paint booth. Please don't look too closely at the welds.

I tried to spoof the patina of Grampa's Jeep. Turned out a little too blue, but some dirt and trail grunge should bring it a little closer.

I still need to get the bottom legs tied into the draw bar. Right now my draw bar is a bit bent and broken so I'm on the hunt for a different one.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:41am
That turned out great
Great addition to a legendary jeep! Blends right in great patina work.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:58am
Looks great, gonna work great!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:37am
That looks really strong.  It should last for years.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:40am
That's a great looking rack. Keep us up to date on the finished product.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:20am
Gorilla welds, ugly but strong.... Mind posting a close up of how the tailgate and the rack come togeather? Share the chain hooks?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Mind posting a close up of how the tailgate and the rack come togeather? Share the chain hooks?

I already pulled it off because the bottom legs aren't anchored yet and I had to do some construction site wheeling today.

It's a pretty simple system. I drilled holes in the end plates that are welded to the cross tubes and tapped them to handle a bolt. I took the tailgate chain hook out of the tailgate tabs and hooked it in the chain. (I don't think I'm going to keep the rack on permanently so I didn't take the chain all the way off.) Then just put the bolt through the tabs and into the newly threaded end plate.

Here's a picture of the bolt and end plate as it sits on the garage floor.
Looking for a good drawbar if anyone has one sitting around taking up valuable space.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:52am
Very cool!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Thorfinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:01pm
My can holder is mounted to a bar that slides into a vertical trailer hitch receiver that the PO welded to a plate and bolted to the draw bar. It's solid and can be slid off to open the tailgate. Not sure how you re going to tie yours in to the draw bar but this is one idea anyway. 

Edited by Thorfinn - 21 May 2017 at 1:03pm
Thorfinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:02pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Thorfinn Thorfinn wrote:

Not sure how you re going to tie yours in to the draw bar but this is one idea anyway. 

My plan is to use some angle iron or steel straps. Drill a couple of holes in the legs and bolt it to the draw bar using the existing holes in the draw bar. Might have to do some thing creative with the draw bar holes since they are so large and I don't really want to use bolts that large. Maybe a stack of washers inside the hole to act as spacers.

Haven't drilled the holes or any thing yet because I want to change out my bent and broken drawbar for a straight one and I want to match measurements to the new part.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:15pm
Good job, Stan! Looks like it's been on grampas jeep for years.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:41am
Stan:  I like your (and Jeff's) fuel can and spare tire rack design and may modify it a bit to fit on my Agrijeep.  What size square tubing did you use?  Thanks, and . . . 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:30am
Fred,
The tubing is 1 1/4 inch 11 gauge square tubing. Jeff actually designed it with perforated tubing, but I could only find galvanized and I didn't want to poison myself welding that stuff so I went with the regular and drilled my own holes. The spare carrier thingy I bought from Walcks. It's the generic one that's cheaper.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:00am
Stan if you look for a 1948 or later draw bar with the holes for a Monroe 3 point lift - they will have two holes drilled in the draw bar on the back angle, in-line with the second hole from the outer ends on the bottom.  All you would have to do is weld a tab to you tube design with a hole for a through bolt.  The advantage is that you will not have bolts sticking out from under the draw bar like you would if you use the bottom holds.  Also it is a correct draw bar for a 1948.

Edited by Stev - 22 May 2017 at 8:54pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:15am
Thank you...
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:43pm
Stan:

Thanks for the tubing specs and spare tire carrier source.  You got my wheels a'turning . . . Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

Stan:

Thanks for the tubing specs and spare tire carrier source.  You got my wheels a'turning . . . Smile

When I ask Jeff to help me, one of my wish list items was "non-intrusive." I know Grampa's Jeep is not stock and definitely not show room stuff, but I didn't want to drill or cut anything that doesn't already have a hole.

I think this thing covers that pretty well. It would work great for a temporary spare carrier on the agri-jeep so you can skinny up when you want to but be able to go back to stock as well.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>