Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare & jerry can rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 10:59am
Reviving this old discussion because it has some great ideas. I've been thinking about making something similar to get my spare and Jerry can off the tailgate.  Its been 3 years since the previous post. Has anyone built a rack since then? Please post pics. Has anyone drawn up plans and a materials list? 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 8:11pm
Looks really good. Can you provide dimension/specs?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 11:02pm
I started on mine today. Went to the local Iron monger after lunch and picked up materials. I got the basic frame pieces cut and started tacking them together. Not sure how much I'll get done tomorrow, but this is a good start.

gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 11:35pm
Looks like it coming along well. When you finish if you can share your dimensions and material list. I would appreciate that. I like that setup. Thanks. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 12:18am
Before I forget. For materials I bought two 10' lengths of 1.25" square tubing, a 6' length of 1.25" angle and a 3/16 steel plate. I only needed a foot of the angle, i'll have plenty left for other projects.  I'll probably have about 5' of extra square tubing too. The tabs I made from stock I had. 

When I'm done, I'll share the dimensions. 
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 12:36am
Thanks 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 10:29pm
After today's feast, rather than crash on the couch, I went out to the shop and made more progress on the rack. I lucked out and came across a very nice, vintage hi-lift jack that I'll be picking up tomorrow.  I think I'll have room to mount it along the bottom of the rack. Have any of you mounted one on the rear rack? I'd like to see how you attached it. Thanks.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 12:04am
Two bolts welded through the rack with wingnuts. (think spare tire mount wingnut)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 12:46am
[QUOTE=rocnroll]Two bolts welded through the rack with wingnuts. (think spare tire mount wingnut)

Roc-I used much the same on a CJ-7 I built many years ago. They were huge wing nuts that held the caps on the air filters of my father-in-laws drilling rig. I haven’t seen any since then, but I imagine they could be sourced from any “big rig” supplier or salvage yard that specializes in large equipment. The CJ 7 is over at a friends awaiting a new motor, I can go get a picture if that would help. They held my high lift securely for a lot of adventures. 
Greg
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 11:39pm
I thought I'd give update. Its all test fitted and welded together. I still need to strip the tire and Jerry can mounts. Then everything will get primed. I left enough room at the bottom to add an ax or shovel. 

mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 2:57am
I’ve been watching these kind of threads for several years while formulating my plan.  I’m thinking about spacing the vertices to align with the holes on the drawbar and welding a bolt to the bottom of the support so you can just drop in the holes and attach a nut/washer.  Then on the top have it use the tailgate chains for that securing.  I also want to accommodate the trail jack. It would be on a CJ5. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2020 at 11:31pm
I worked on the jack mount this afternoon. Not wanting the jack foot to impinge on the departure angle at the drawbar, made a 2.5" raised lower mount. This has a stud welded to it that secures the foot.

The top mount was made from more 1.25" square tubing and flat bar stock. Its only tack welded so far, but feels rock solid. I will make the same style mount for the middle that will weld to the lower crossbar.

Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 2:18am
Thats a super idea. Think I might steal it if you don't mind
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 1:40am
This afternoon a finished the handyman hi lift Jack's 3 point mount to the tire/Jerry can rack.

Next I made a handle keeper for the jack. I wanted something better than bailing wire. I  looked online, but they only make them for later, round handle jacks. So I swiped a poly cutting board from the kitchen. Then traced out what I wanted, then used the mill to cut the openings. It came out pretty well.

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 1:47am
Pretty slick
Mike in AZ
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2020 at 10:06pm
I finished my Jerry can/jack/spare tire rack today. I had to cut and reweld a couple things to squeeze the jack in between the Jerry can and tire. But it all worked out. The tailgate can now breathe a big sigh of relief since all the weight is off it and now carried by the drawbar.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2020 at 12:18am
Nice work and a great idea! Glad to see it all work out!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2020 at 1:07am
Looks perfect. Good job
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345