Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 cj2a no power up hills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 cj2a no power up hills
    Posted: 21 July 2017 at 12:25am
only short runs to work. 1 1/2 miles one way.. didnt pull.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 12:00am
Didn't the jeep pull bad to the left with a brake dragging that bad, burning brake lining has a very distinctive smell too.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:53am
YAY!! Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 12:49am
Can't pull hills w/brakes 1/4 on.. Good on ya for checking other suspect systems..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 12:41am
Good to hear.  Now get out and enjoy it.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 7:26pm
glad you were able to correct some issues. Good luck with it. 

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 4:49pm
Put throttle linkage screw back in center hole. Adjusted throttle linkage rod accordingly (forgot that part yesterday). Returned and set fuel mix for sweet spot. Found front drivers wheel brake dragging bad. Adjusted correctly. Test ride went great. Took hill in second gear that I couldn't make in first yesterday!. Thanks again for all your help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 1:33am
Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna put her up on 4 jack stands and roll each wheel see if anything shows.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 11:17pm
I flat tow my Jeep and I get out about every hour to check things so check every brake drum. I no longer have a parking brake so that is out of the question. I sort of removed the drum on a tree stump years ago.
uncamonkey
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:55pm
Take it for another run and then touch all the brake drums inc handbrake drum, if hot then they are over adjusted....robbing lots of HP that you never had in the first place
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:23pm
Thanks for the reply. When pulling her back up my driveway (a hill) I stopped at the crest and she did not roll backwards. So it seems I may have a brake hanging up somewhere. Will check that out tomorrow. 
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:26pm

this could be at least part of your issue. Look at the pictures above. First one is using the bottom hole, second is using the middle hole. Note that when using the bottom hole the butterfly is not fully open at full throttle. The butterfly is in line with the wide part of the throttle body shaft.

I'm not sure what would cause the fast idle unless you need to back off the idle adjustment screw some. It would need to be set back when changing the screw location. 

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 6:37pm
Moved screw to center hole and now she wants to run at 4000rpms. Put it back to bottom hole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:37pm
at work now but will check tomorrow. Thanks.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:56pm
one issue I have seen more than once is this screw that attaches the throttle linkage to the butterfly. 

It can be making poor contact and cause a partially opened throttle. This is a poor example but one I have on the shelf. The screw should have a pin on the end to fit in the linkage that your foot feed connects to. 

I have found the center hole to be the one to use in all cases so far, others may differ on that.

Mike

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:33pm
2X on JPET suggustion - Have an assistant push down on the accelerator with the choke open.  Check to make sure the throttle plate opens all the way up.  If not adjust the linkage form the accelerator that attaches the carburetor.

Then check to see what you can get on the vacuum gauge at 2,000 RPMs assuming you can were not getting to 2 grand before.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:24pm
No. Will check that tomorrow
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

Ok checked and found throttle linkage was missing a cater pin behind the motor. Ended up drilling hole thru firewall to replace it. Helped some but still not enough power to start out on steep hill......
So now I assume you have checked and the butterfly is opening all the way when the pedal is pushed? ...(not just when you hand pull the linkage).
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>