Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 cj2a no power up hills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 cj2a no power up hills
    Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:22pm
Rebuilt carb under Scoutpilot tutelage. Lapped valves and set lash.new fuel pump,fuel lines,electronic ignition,cap,rotor wires plugs. Timed and got sweet spot. But no power going up a hill in high range. She'll climb all day in first. Shift to second and she looses all power. Down shift to first and has a tough time starting out. I'm missing something here and I can't figure it out. Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:00am
Try a new condensor? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:34am
installed electronic ignition. No points or condenser 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:48am
D'OH!!  I read that and immediately forgot it.  Embarrassed  Is your throttle opening up all the way? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:03am
Yes I'm pretty sure butvi will check
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:13am
My guess is a spark issue. Was this Jeep running before you did all of this work?

Here are the thoughts /questions that come to mind that I would check: 
- Is the firing order correct? Are the plug wires ends attached well?  
- Are the plug wire fully seated on the plugs? 
- When you Ohm out the plug wires do they are give you the same reading (something like 8 Ohms).
- Check for a cracked insulator on the spark plugs.
- Check the gap on the spark plugs.
- Are the weights for the advance free to move or are they stuck in place.
- I would set the engine up on a vacuum gauge not with the timing marks.

Weird question what voltage is this Jeep?  What voltage is the electric ignition? Do they match.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:35am
was running before but had this problem. 12volt all the same. Good compression on all cylinders.  Maybe I'm expecting more from the 134 than I should. Just live in a very hilly area

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:47am
vacuum timed it all should be good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:00am
the only item not replaced yet is the coil. Just picked one up. The original tests out ok though
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

was running before but had this problem. 12volt all the same. Good compression on all cylinders.  Maybe I'm expecting more from the 134 than I should. Just live in a very hilly area

You need to move to somewhere with tiny hills , although with the low gearing I have not had any problems with my one, but there won't be too many steep ones that it will fly over in top.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:45am
OK good info.

What was the max vacumm you on the vacumm at 2,000 rpms?  21 pounds?  

Stev
Stev
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:17am
I have one with a similar issue, it is what I could discribe as weak. Engine vitals are good, 120 on compression, good steady vacuum at 20+. Runs well but weak on hills. Was reading in the manule that the rotor bug should "spring" back if turned. Mine did not, when I checked the advance weights one spring was missing and the other is weak, loose at rest. I put what I had on hand on the missing side and it helped. Still need to replace both to know for sure but I think the advance is at least part of my issue.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:19pm
Ok checked and found throttle linkage was missing a cater pin behind the motor. Ended up drilling hole thru firewall to replace it. Helped some but still not enough power to start out on steep hill. Will replace coil and check the advance to see off it's working. Thanks for all the help so far.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

Ok checked and found throttle linkage was missing a cater pin behind the motor. Ended up drilling hole thru firewall to replace it. Helped some but still not enough power to start out on steep hill......
So now I assume you have checked and the butterfly is opening all the way when the pedal is pushed? ...(not just when you hand pull the linkage).
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:24pm
No. Will check that tomorrow
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:33pm
2X on JPET suggustion - Have an assistant push down on the accelerator with the choke open.  Check to make sure the throttle plate opens all the way up.  If not adjust the linkage form the accelerator that attaches the carburetor.

Then check to see what you can get on the vacuum gauge at 2,000 RPMs assuming you can were not getting to 2 grand before.  
Stev
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:56pm
one issue I have seen more than once is this screw that attaches the throttle linkage to the butterfly. 

It can be making poor contact and cause a partially opened throttle. This is a poor example but one I have on the shelf. The screw should have a pin on the end to fit in the linkage that your foot feed connects to. 

I have found the center hole to be the one to use in all cases so far, others may differ on that.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:37pm
at work now but will check tomorrow. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>