Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your "policy" on clear coat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your "policy" on clear coat?
    Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:40pm
I would like to get some opinions on how often and on what you guys use clear coat.

I have two projects going on right now (see the list below). All require painting stuff. Its a lot of wire wheel, sand blasting, miracle paint, rust barrier, etc. All those paints are not UV-resistant, but a lot of them are not really "body", so... 

What of the following would you clear coat for UV protection:

- CJ2A frame
- CJ2A rear axle
- CJ2A rear axle backing plates
- CJ2A air filter housing (always under the hood, never in sunlight)
- anything else in CJ2A compartment (I already clear coated the block and head because otherwise why would they make clear coat for block and head??? Cool)
you get the idea

and...

- 8N ford tractor air filter housing - mounted on the side of the motor, will get occasional sunlight
- 8N ford battery tray - under the hood, air and rain can get to it but not much UV...
- 8N transmission bellhousing - you sit on it, definitely some sunlight...

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 1:26am
Konstan,

The original stuff was probably painted with enamel and baked. 

The hot rod guys do a thing they call Wetting.  Clean it  to metal, apply an etching primmer, let it get tacky, put down a few coats of black while they are tacky - then spray on clear coat.   If it is a small item they bake it at about 200 degrees for 20 minutes and let it cool.  Install it the same day.  This can be done with rattle cans if need be.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by konstan konstan wrote:

I would like to get some opinions on how often and on what you guys use clear coat.

I have two projects going on right now (see the list below). All require painting stuff. Its a lot of wire wheel, sand blasting, miracle paint, rust barrier, etc. All those paints are not UV-resistant, but a lot of them are not really "body", so... 

What of the following would you clear coat for UV protection:

- CJ2A frame
- CJ2A rear axle
- CJ2A rear axle backing plates
- CJ2A air filter housing (always under the hood, never in sunlight)
- anything else in CJ2A compartment (I already clear coated the block and head because otherwise why would they make clear coat for block and head??? Cool)
you get the idea

and...

- 8N ford tractor air filter housing - mounted on the side of the motor, will get occasional sunlight
- 8N ford battery tray - under the hood, air and rain can get to it but not much UV...
- 8N transmission bellhousing - you sit on it, definitely some sunlight...
Excessive? I Love It !

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 12:18am
I only clear coat metallic bases. With a base/clear system it's easier to get the metallic to set right. If you're just painting solid colors, I might suggest a higher quality paint that can withstand the UV. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:03am
I didn't bother to clear coat my brushed-on Rust-Oleum.  Now, since I can't get it to run worth a darn, it just sits in the garage and UV isn't a problem.  A simple but unsatisfactory solution... Unhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:25am
Clearcoat? Uhmmm... don't think so.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:55am
Clear coat and Willy's don't mix. I would stay away from it unless you are building a high power custom willy's show piece. BTW ,Clear coat is always the first to break down  in the sun . just look at about every car that 5 years old that has a clear coat ,unless its kept in a garage.
Just my two cents.
gearwrencher
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:29pm
The only thing I consider clear coat on is the exterior of the body. You shouldn't have to worry about UV protection if you use a quality paint. Base coat /clear coat is about the easiest way to get a nice job. I'm doing a 2a now with single stage urethane, it along with acrylic enamel and base/clear can all be wet sanded and buffed if need be. Clear coat is more money though. My 2 cents.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:06pm
I'm not a fan of clear coats. My brother had a silver BMW about 40 years ago and the clear coat was peeling off of it. My neighbors had Ford van and as the clear coat went away the paint went with it My Chevy van is white and the clear coat makes the hood look like garbage
uncamonkey
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:55am
I used clear coat with a flattener for a matte finish.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 3:42am
I too have things with the clear coat peeling. One is a 1982 Mercedes 300D and it's peeling on the roof only; the other is a 1995 dodge truck and the hood has lost most of its clear coat. It has been my assumption that in both cases they didn't do a good job originally and that's why it is peeling... What I probably need to think of next is, will I be able to to a better job than Mercedes or Chrysler did............
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:33pm
Early clear coat was not very, Ford had a big problem with their pickups when they first started with it. The new stuff seems to be a big improvement, unless you live somewhere that is hotter than the surface of the sun.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:17pm
At least one of the Cj2As in this picture is clear coated.  I would guess all three are - but the green one has 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear coat on the frame and body.  The paint job is 12 plus years old.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:35am
let's see, page 42 of the Willys restoration bible says........don't clear coat unless you want a visit from the jeep police.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

......don't clear coat unless you want a visit from the jeep police.

They better bring a warrant LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

......don't clear coat unless you want a visit from the jeep police.

They better bring a warrant LOL

This!  My Jeep, my rules.  
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:39pm
I actually used a satin clear coat to knock down the gloss on this one.  It gives it a bit of an Old School feel.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I didn't bother to clear coat my brushed-on Rust-Oleum.  Now, since I can't get it to run worth a darn, it just sits in the garage and UV isn't a problem.  A simple but unsatisfactory solution... Unhappy

I sprayed mine ( May have been Krylon) I used a glossy clear coat and hated how it looked. Too shiny So I just sprayed the flat green over the gloss. After sitting outside for 3 plus years it has faded a lot. Re-sprayed it almost a year ago.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>