Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main seal
    Posted: 29 July 2017 at 9:54pm
Hello

I just rebuild from scratch a 1942 Willys MB. Not sure if the engine was actually from an MB or from a CJ2A, anyway, I rebuilt the engine with a ton of new parts since I wanted it to be “almost” brand new. The 3 year restoration is almost over but I´m having a hard time with the engine since it is leaking motor oil VERY BADLY from the crankshaft´s rear main seal ( I used a brand new 2 halves rubber seal that I bought from a French supplier).

Because the seal surface of the crankshaft was not in a very good shape (it was pitted), Instead of having it polished (like I probably should have done) I decided to buy a BRAND NEW crankshaft. I took off the engine, replaced the old crankshaft for the brand new one, installed a new rubber rear seal but when I started the engine, after a while the result was quite the same, ie, a bad case of engine oil dripping at the bell house.

The oil is really engine oil, not transmission oil.

I believe that the leakage is not coming from anywhere else but the rear main seal. I know that because I checked the rear oil gallery welch plug and also the rear cam journal welch plug.

Does anybody know how can I solve this problem??

Should I use a rubber seal or a rope seal?

The rubber seals that I installed (2 so far) were both WO800093. I heard that seals from this lot are all faulty. Is that true? If it is true where can I buy a reliable rubber seal?

If anybody could help me with this issue I would be very grateful because I am really tired of this everlasting restoration that should be over by now so I could enjoy my jeep while I’m young and of good health. Besides that In the island where I live this is the only Willys Jeep so it would be cool to show it to people who just saw this vehicles in the movies Smile

Thanks A LOT in advance for any help 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 11:54pm
You also need to know the diameter of the sealing surface on your "New" crank. They vary greatly and if to large will destroy the rear seal very quickly. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 12:57am
I can not help you technically, but don't give up..... You will figure it out... Stay positive, all the hard work will pay off. You will be on those trails soon enough.
Wipa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 12:32pm
Thanks a lot for your tip/advice. Do you know what the exact diameter should be?
Should I stick to the rubber seal or go for the rope seal instead?

Thanks a lot again
Wipa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 12:37pm
Thank you for the moral support, at this stage I really need it Cry . The last 3 years have been a crusade with a lot of time and money spent. I was hoping to drive it this summer but I do not think that it will happen.

Thanks again for your support.
 Post Reply Post Reply