Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Angle when hooked to CJ5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angle when hooked to CJ5
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 5:29am
Today for the first time I hooked Tubby up to Willie and was surprised on how much of  a forward lean it has.  Both the trailer and jeep are stock.  Is this normal?  What can be done to level it out some?
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 5:39am
Are the wheels and tires the same size? You may be able to flip the stock draw bar hitch over to raise the tongue a couple inches , if its not already been done.
Jay

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 1:27pm
Load the trailer
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 1:59pm
Ahh. Didn't think about that. 

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Load the trailer
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 12:06am
I was going to say "put some weight in that trailer", but I see Mark beat me to it.

IME, That is about the correct "forward lean" for an unloaded trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 2:44pm
Well I added some weight and it did not materially change.  But I'm thinking maybe the PO had too much weight on the jeep hitch at some point.  It looks like it may be bent some.  I tried jacking the ball up but it would not really straighten out.  May have to take it all apart and try straightening. 
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 4:45pm
Tire size and lift on the JEEP will have an affect on it. The tires on the JEEP look bigger than the ones on the trailer, which I would think, would yield the opposite affect of what you have going on. 

A picture of the hitch on the JEEP would help to determine what's going on. 

Edited by wheelie - 26 Aug. 2017 at 4:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Tire size and lift on the JEEP will have an affect on it. The tires on the JEEP look bigger than the ones on the trailer, which I would think, would yield the opposite affect of what you have going on. 

A picture of the hitch on the JEEP would help to determine what's going on. 

Yes tires on jeep taller for now, but that's not going to help. On road now but when I get home I'll post a from the side pic. 
chris insull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 8:47pm
Could it simply be that there are differences in spring styles/ orientation between the earlier "C" shackles and the later traditional shackles? My recently sold trailer on the right had a noticeable angle to it as compared to my red one. Different shackles and spring styles on both; and both are OEM shackles and springs. Also is a pic of the new owner towing it away.

Edited by chris insull - 28 Aug. 2017 at 1:22pm
1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2017 at 3:15pm
Here it is on level ground.   You can see it has quite a bit of downward front rake. In the pic of the rear draw bar, you can see where it is bent down some which I need to try and fix. But I don't think that will bring it up enough. The part that extends out with the actual ball on it, should it be reversed/flipped?

Edited by mickeykelley - 29 Aug. 2017 at 3:20pm
chris insull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2017 at 11:26pm
The draw bar attach supports under the JEEP appear to be bent. If that's the case, straightening them should be a high priority as they provide strength when towing! Also, I would check to ensure the rear frame horns and crossmember has not been structurally compromised by some impact which caused the bending.
As to the ball mount, I've seen it mounted both ways but angled down appears to be "factory delivered correct".

Edited by chris insull - 31 Aug. 2017 at 10:44am
1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 3:02am
Put the trailer on the other ball and see how the trailer sets. Or turn the drop hitch over. It a universal draw bar.  I bet you can get the trailer level. That's what I would try.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 3:31am
I crawled under it today and the flat bar under the jeep bed is curved upwards and I'm assuming it should be flat.  The vertical pieces are also bent. Looks like best thing to do is pull it off and work on it that way.  
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 5:30am
It's strange to see the hitch ball leg out in the lower position. Most people around here have either removed them or turned them the other way so they won't get hung up on a trail.
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 7:05pm
Load the trailer with a typical amount of weight.  Flip the ball arm over. (Mine were both flipped up for some reason.)  Reverse the ball, and then hook it up.  If you need a little more lift, add a couple washers between the arm and the draw bar… and maybe some longer bolts.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 11:59pm
The triangular hitch plate is made with a double bend to it so that it can be turned over, or placed above or below the ag hitch, to adjust the height. Any combination is "correct".  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 2:34am
I'm with Bruce ... I've never heard or read anywhere that triangle angled down like that is 'correct'.

I see no reason that would actually be. It doesn't even look right to me. Flip it over and hook up the trailer with a load in it and net it's close to level then.

If someone has some 'correctness' documentation how about sharing it with us.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply