Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 11:35pm
I'm up for 2020 anytime from the beginning of April though the end of October.  Also, I would have the passenger's seat open.

I only have to travel 6 hours to get to the Loon Lake trail head so I'll let others who must really travel far suggest dates.

slipinkramer
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 9:12pm
I would be in as a rider for 2020, if a seat is open.  Help move rocks.  :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 6:23pm
I would be in for 2020
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 6:05am
How about 2020??
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:12pm
I think of it often too and I’m glad we can all get together and have these epic adventures.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:22pm
Exactly one year ago from today,   Kyle and I were in the truck headed to Jpet's house.   The first leg in a long journey across the country.

Lots of nervous energy and excitement.   Questions in my mind at the time ->  would Wilson make it across Rubicon without breaking?  can we squeeze in Moab, and Ouray on the return trip?

The trip was fantastic,  and I think think about it often.   Thanks to everyone who attended for making it so memorable,  and especially to Jeff and Stan for getting the idea started and leading it.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:31am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

As much as I would love to do again,  . .  It is very unlikely I would attempt that almost 6000 mile round trip in 2019  (2 years in a row).

I do not regret making that long trip in 2018,   (probably a day does not go by that I don't think about it),  . . .  but it will be a while before I can do again.

X2
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 1:55am
As much as I would love to do again,  . .  It is very unlikely I would attempt that almost 6000 mile round trip in 2019  (2 years in a row).

I do not regret making that long trip in 2018,   (probably a day does not go by that I don't think about it),  . . .  but it will be a while before I can do again.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:42pm
Any talk of 2019?
Jay
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I went to all the expense and time to install a locker for this trip,  and may have not got any benefit.

So maybe you don't really need it? 

If it had been working,  I might not have had to back up, and try hitting some spots a little faster. . .   It definitely would have helped on the rockpile at end of Jpet's Day2 video,  when I had to be extracted by BobW's winch.   One tire was stuffed up into fender on a big rock,  and the other was spinning in the air.

On the otherhand,  it does appear we made it up some tough spots with open front,  there are a few times in video that one of the tires was in air, and spinning faster than ground speed.   Luckily momentum, and/or the rear carried us over.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 1:25am

I went to all the expense and time to install a locker for this trip,  and may have not got any benefit.

So maybe you don't really need it? 

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 5:31pm
I have very rarely ever needed to stack rocks for myself. I can usually see another line and do fine. There is a friend I have had to stack rocks for. He is new at this. We were out a few years ago a week after the EJS and at some of the obsticles there was rocks scattered everywhere. Those people can really chew up a trail. As far as removing rocks, those things have been around a lot longer than we have and eventually they will all be in a different place.
uncamonkey
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

That sounds a little like ' I made it now maybe you wont'.

No, just "leave it like you found it", same as what Brian said later
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

. ...Some people (including me) would agree that if moving a couple rocks gets you up an obstacle then you had a successful climb. Some may think you can fill holes in with a couple hundred pounds of rocks and still call it a successful climb, and most everybody else is somewhere in between. And it may even change depending on what modifications have been made to the vehicle on the obstacle.

Now if an obstacle stands in the way of enjoying the rest of the trail, body damage is likely and unacceptable, trying to limp a broken rig back, a driver feels uncomfortable about the obstacle, etc. then start stacking....

That's kinda where I'm at. I assume it was the Jeep Jamboree guys before us who put the rocks there to begin with. The object is to have fun and "feel the win" so if you can stack rocks and feel the win, then great. We were close to getting through the soup bowl but with the amount of rocks we were stacking, the win would have felt diminished ... that and I was feeling sorry for Bob and Stan lifting all those heavy rocks while I sat in the jeep ... even though they can thank me and BAM BAM for their new muscles

I agree with all of this pretty much.  I have been wheeling a long time and remember the "hardcore" crowd getting angry at rock stackers.  I don't really see it as a problem.  If it is a problem it is a problem both ways.  Meaning, stacking rocks or tearing them out with tires and horsepower.  Both are a problem depending on what you are driving.

Back in the 1990s when "big" tires were 35s,  I wheeled with 35s  and even went up to 37s.  That being said buggies didn't really exist at the time either.  Now 37s and up are common. There is no way to take the same lines on 31s or 32s.  

I prefer the 33 and under tire now. I don't get hung up on taking the "hero" line. In 1989 I remember driving my open-diff Samurai on 30s on trails the local guys with Jeeps on 33s and 35s said I'd never be able to make. I usually had to pick a different line on the climbs but I always went where ever they did. Mud-holes too.  The little samurai's narrow track and offset diffs kept me out of the big ruts and let me keep going.  I have even "surfed" the wave of a big puddle to get that little boost to push me out of a hole.

My opinion is to stack as necessary, but understand the limits of your Jeep by picking appropriate lines. Watching your guys' videos, I'd say you all do a great job of it.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 3:13am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

You guys need to keep score on the Rubicon. 
Every back-up due to failed attempt = minus 1 point.

Any points added for running with open front diff,  and limited-slip rear?  LOL 

I thought my front Elocker was intermittent,  but now I am wondering if it worked at all after the first day.   Early on,  I could tell when locker was engaged because the steering got a lot harder.   I never did feel that hard steering for day 2 and 3. (or Moab/Ouray)   I assumed it was working at times because I made it over some obstacles that it had to be locked. Confused  Maybe not. Wink

I found the issue with Elocker after getting home,  the connector was not making solid contact.   Today for the first time,  after fixing the connector,  ->  I did a little wheeling.   It was very obvious in the steering when the locker was engaged.   I never felt that after day 1 of Rubicon. 

I went to all the expense and time to install a locker for this trip,  and may have not got any benefit.   Oh well,  I will be ready the next time.  Smile
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 10:49pm
You guys need to keep score on the Rubicon. 
Every back-up due to failed attempt = minus 1 point.
I did not see Bob W backing up very often for a second try.
Good job Bob !
For me It's about knowing your Jeeps limits and picking the lines that it can handle.

I once had a perfect score when driving down the interstate because I never had to back up a single time...
Ha Ha Ha !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

. ...Some people (including me) would agree that if moving a couple rocks gets you up an obstacle then you had a successful climb. Some may think you can fill holes in with a couple hundred pounds of rocks and still call it a successful climb, and most everybody else is somewhere in between. And it may even change depending on what modifications have been made to the vehicle on the obstacle.

Now if an obstacle stands in the way of enjoying the rest of the trail, body damage is likely and unacceptable, trying to limp a broken rig back, a driver feels uncomfortable about the obstacle, etc. then start stacking....

That's kinda where I'm at. I assume it was the Jeep Jamboree guys before us who put the rocks there to begin with. The object is to have fun and "feel the win" so if you can stack rocks and feel the win, then great. We were close to getting through the soup bowl but with the amount of rocks we were stacking, the win would have felt diminished ... that and I was feeling sorry for Bob and Stan lifting all those heavy rocks while I sat in the jeep ... even though they can thank me and BAM BAM for their new muscles
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I think the rule for "rock stacking" is that it is legal so long as they were put there by the guy before you?

The only general etiquette “rock stacking” rule I am familiar with is to leave the obstacle as you found it. This is true whether you made the obstacle easier or harder by moving rocks. Oh yeah, and it also includes trees. Do not run over them as they are much more difficult to put back than rocks are!

After that I think it is dependent upon the individual and the circumstances.

Some people (including me) would agree that if moving a couple rocks gets you up an obstacle then you had a successful climb. Some may think you can fill holes in with a couple hundred pounds of rocks and still call it a successful climb, and most everybody else is somewhere in between. And it may even change depending on what modifications have been made to the vehicle on the obstacle.

Now if an obstacle stands in the way of enjoying the rest of the trail, body damage is likely and unacceptable, trying to limp a broken rig back, a driver feels uncomfortable about the obstacle, etc. then start stacking.

Conquering most difficult trails with anything other than huge rigs or buggies usually requires some rock stacking. Our opinions on how much is allowed is going to vary, but I cannot remember wheeling with anybody who is unwilling to help stack rocks to help a friend up an obstacle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>