Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2017 at 6:45pm
Hi all,

Due to popular demand, I am announcing the dates for next years Rubicon Trail Run.

Same as last year.  Arrive Sunday afternoon, the 29th, get into the trail past the granite and camp, get to Tahoe,... when we get there.

Be thinking about it.  It's a good motivator to get your project finished by next summer.  If Anyone wants to wheel this trail with the Qwaaazy 8's, this may be your last chance for a while.

Last years thread:

so far, the committed list is:

X98
BAM BAM
Gus
chasendeer
Cowbell
Grandpa’s Jeep
Wison

Edited by jpet - 18 July 2018 at 1:12pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2017 at 7:13pm
"so far, the committed list is:"

Is that what they call a "Freudien Slip"?Wink LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 7:43am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

If Anyone wants to wheel this trail with the Qwaaazy 8's, this may be your last chance for a while.

Confused
Last chance for a while???

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 1:37pm
July 29th?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

....Last chance for a while???
I just mean that it might be hard to keep doing this trail every year, at least for me.

Yes, July 29th.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

...I just mean that it might be hard to keep doing this trail every year, at least for me.

Yeah, me too.  It's a long ways off, but I'm going to say put me down to go.

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 9:47pm
Maybe I'll have a carb on Southpaw by then.....who knows, maybe...that's a definately 'I'll think about it'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 3:09am
that's plenty of time to think about it. That's something I want to do. If things work out, I may have to commit. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 5:14am
When we finished this ride I was sure that I would never do it again. Now I'm thinking I might want to.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:10am
I can't wait!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 8:04am
I see no reason not to do it!!!
What mods to I have to do to my basically stock 2a? I have installed a 44 with power lock in the rear and a power lock in the front. There than that it is stock.
Thanks
Jay

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 11:48am
What size are your tires?

Even though we have shown that you can get through with less, here is my recommended equipment list:

minimum:
Lockers front and rear
700-16 tires or better

recommended:
Teraflex low range kit in TC
T-90C or lower transmission

You may also consider rock sliders or other protection for the lower body.

Edited by jpet - 05 Sep. 2017 at 12:16pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 12:51pm
i would highly recommend the rock sliders. Cowbell's rockers were "rocked" to death out there. The sides of my tub are all bulged out under the door opening. 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I see no reason not to do it!!!
What mods to I have to do to my basically stock 2a? I have installed a 44 with power lock in the rear and a power lock in the front. There than that it is stock.
Thanks
Jay

Perhaps the best person to ask is ricco (aka Lumpy) that experienced the Rubicon firsthand in a bone stock 2A.  That being said, these are my recommendations.

If you are going to go stock (really any vehicle for this type of trail), I believe one of the most important components is skid plates.  Skid plates on everything that can break and strand you, e.g., oil pan, transmission, transfer case, e-brake drum, and very importantly, the leaf spring u bolts.  Do not underestimate the value of skid plates.  You can always get a tow or a tug over or up an obstacle if you don't have the horsepower or gearing, etc. but you will likely break important stuff without your skid plate.  Even if you have to be pulled over some obstacles in a stock rig, if you have skid plates you shouldn't be much worse for ware.  

I have quite a bit of clearance because of spring lift and large tires.  On the Rubicon, I had no skid plates on my transfer case/e-brake or my leaf spring u-bolts.  I was going to install a skid plate over my e-brake but ran out of time before the trip...and I broke it.  This caused me much consternation on the dirt road into town, because I thought my transfer case was seizing. Once I realized what it actually was, I wasn't so disturbed, but it caused me and those following me into South Lake Tahoe on the highway to only reach speeds of 25 mph (due to the imbalance of the broken e-brake drum).  Easily avoidable.  I now have a new e-brake drum and a new skid plate (and it already saved my new brake drum this weekend!).

Even with my increased ground clearance I bent and nearly broke a leaf spring u-bolt.  I didn't have skids on them either, but will be fabricating something for them soon.  There just isn't any way to avoid these u-bolts getting banged on this trail. Protect them somehow.

I have stock gearing and I did ok with it.  In fact, my final drive ratio is higher than stock because of the larger tires (FDR is 31:1 vs 37:1 stock).  Lower gearing (Terra low and T90C) would definitely help, and I plan for that in the future, but it may not happen before the next Rubicon trip.  Locked, locking, or LSD axles also make the trail much easier.

These recommendations, in my opinion, are the difference between truly enjoying the trail and just enduring it.

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 2:48am
I pretty much agree with the things that the others have said. I would just add some observations of my own. 
Tho two jeeps on our trip that have stock gearing, Lumpy that is totally stock, and Gus that has stock gearing, but lockers and higher clearance, were the two rigs that had the most serious break downs on the trail.
As they teach us in statistics class, coorolation does not always equal causation, but I believe that the fact that those two rigs were less able to crawl over obstacles and more required to hit them at speed because the stock gearing is not low enough resulted in more traumatic contact with the rocks and more serious damage.
I don't know if the others on this trip saw these same things as me or if I'm just imagining stuff.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:21am
since Stan brought it up, I'll agree 100%.  when we worked on Lumpy, we had to file all the burrs off of the u-bolt nuts just to get a wrench on them.  It took some time. This evening, I went and did a close inspection on my u-bolts. I didn't see any significant damage. I was able to get a wrench over all but one nut, and that one only needed a light filing.  I believe this is because BAM BAM was able to walk up on a rock.  Lumpy was too fast and would hit the rock and sometimes, bounce and or slide off to the side.  I think this made the difference on the u-bolts.

I think that the 4 locker-stockers were prettty much equally capable of doing the obstacles on the trail, but I did appreciate the precision of the 77:1 crawl ratio. .... I don't always make it, but it does make for less work which to me is just as important as two lockers. Mileage may vary. 

I might get flamed for this too but I'd ditch the stock "C" shackles. Ask Lumpy.  Then again, this ties into ground speed. If you can run slow enough, you may not damage them.  Lumpy bent at least one and broke one. So did Ian the week before. 

Edited by jpet - 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:27am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:26am
A lot of it is the driver. I got grief one trip because I was driving too slow on a trail followed by a Nissan pickup and a LC. It's OK, I have had to tow or winch both of them out over the years. Not too bad for a 1961 3B with a V6 and stock gears.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:26pm
No flaming just simple feedback........
Concerning the standard "U" type shackles.
Yes I have also seen them severely mangled condition.
But you should a seen the frame horn on that wreck.
I actually believe they are a good thing.
They serve as a cheap "weak link" to help save the far more expensive spring leaves.

Let's face it on tough trails slow/low gearing is paramount.
If you don't have the gearing then durability will suffer greatly.

I've long considered 37/1 as standard minimum for a standard jeep.
Simply because its Jeeps actual longest standing crawl ratio.
A  50/1 ratio should be considered as standard minimum for a hard core trail jeep.
And 75/1 crawl ratio as standard minimum for a dedicated rock crawler
100/1 is nearer to ideal for most dedicated crawlers.

I would consider limited or locking differentials and then tire diameter after the crawl ratio.

I have been running custom made leaf spring plates since way back. 
Its a very similar idea to OILY's design
Jeff, I'll bring a set of my custom spring plates to the reunion so you can see them.
My pic posting took a nose dive after the photobucket fiasco.
The only problem I see with the Metcalf design is that the spring clips (AKA "U" bolts) no longer hugs the spring pack.

Edited by oldtime - 06 Sep. 2017 at 3:53pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>