Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 4:11am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Thanks for your input Jim and Dennis.

It’s all good.   If someone wants to come with their, “bone stocker”, “locker stocker”, or “hardly stocker”, we will all work together and have a good time. I do ask that everybody’s Jeep is maintained though. Breakage happens but let’s make sure the breakage was caused by the Rubicon and not due to poor maintenance. Make sense?

Hope both you guys will join us

This is the most important thing, have fun, make stories.

I have never had more fun than when I get a group of flat fenders together. It doesn't matter what type they are. I've wheeled with a lot of these guys and they are some of the best people you will meet. We all give each other a ribbing about this or that, but i'd wager that these guys wouldn't leave you behind or let you get into too much trouble. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 1:13am

I just know that I was happy with my setup and I don't plan to change anything.

I was just reading through this thread before posting. The above statement on 06 Sep. 2017 at 4:08pm made me chuckle a bit :)

Now to the point. I'd like to do something else after completing the Rubicon. I will need to be back in NY on Monday morning August 6th ready for work. Last year some people stopped in Colorado on the way East, that seems like it would be fun.

Thoughts??? 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 1:19am
I think we should go to Colorado and do a Schofield Pass/ Pearl Pass loop. All depends on when we get done with the Rubicon trail.   We can go to Ouray, or Moab. What do you want to do?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:13am
If all goes well on the Rubicon, I would be up for doing another trail on the way back, also.  

If all goes well on the Rubicon, what do ya’ll think about doing what we planned last year, running it backwards?  This would solve our portage’ problem of getting back to the trailhead and then all the way back to Lake Tahoe via highway.  We could turn around at observation point and run it backwards? Maybe catch the Wentworth Springs portion of the trail on the way back.   I know I was pretty tired last time, and didn’t really want to run it again, but I wasn’t quite as prepared for it as I will be this time.  Not set on this, just throwin’ it out there for discussion.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 1:29pm

I think we should go to Colorado and do a Schofield Pass/ Pearl Pass loop. All depends on when we get done with the Rubicon trail.   We can go to Ouray, or Moab. What do you want to do?

Interesting ideas. For me it's all about how much on road driving time there will be. In a nutshell the further from I70 - the less likely I will be able to do it. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

....In a nutshell the further from I70 - the less likely I will be able to do it. 

A loop from Glenwood Springs would take 11-1/2 hours according to Bing:

Pearl/SchofieldLoop from Glenwood Springs

..... about 60 miles of it is on-road driving

I've never done the trail(s) but from what I read, that would be the time of year they would likely be open so it might be a good idea to take advantage since we are in the area. A couple weeks later might even be safer. Maybe a local who is reading could advise us?

... if the trail is closed, or we think it would take too long, we can go to Leadville and do Holy Cross........

Edit: I’ll let Bob W proxy my vote since it is harder for him to get out West than it is for me.

Edited by jpet - 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:46pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

...If all goes well on the Rubicon, what do ya’ll think about doing what we planned last year, running it backwards?  This would solve our portage’ problem of getting back to the trailhead and then all the way back to Lake Tahoe via highway.....
If ..... we didn't have any serious problems, and if.... we could shave the 9 hours of break down time off our schedule, we could possibly be back to Loon Lake Wednesday afternoon/evening?

Thinking, we would camp Sunday night where we did last year at that camp past the granite (not sure of the name). Camp at Rubicon Springs Monday night. Tuesday, we would make it to the Observation Point, turn around, head back and hopefully make it to Buck Island. Then, Wednesday, however long it takes to get back to Loon. Pretty optimist schedule on my part but if this worked out we would have 2 days to get to colorado and run another trail.

I like the idea of doing the NobicurNocibur, but I also thought the drive back to Loon from Tahoe was very enjoyable. Going one way with no incidents would get us to Tahoe Tuesday night and back to Loon Wednesday mid day. That would be optimal if we want to do the Pearl/Schofield loop. Either way, as we all know, we won't know what is best till we get to the Observation Point.

Edited by jpet - 24 Feb. 2018 at 3:11pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:49pm
I really need to be headed East on Wednesday. 

The Colorado trail run would need to be on Thursday for me.

Edited by Bob W - 24 Feb. 2018 at 2:51pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 3:07pm

I like the idea of doing the Nobicur.......

That would be Nocibur wouldn't it ?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

I really need to be headed East on Wednesday. 
...The Colorado trail run would need to be on Thursday for me.
If very little can go wrong for you, and since you will be there a week early, it may be better for you to leave your trailer in Tahoe and drive X98 to Loon to meet us on Sunday. If we finished early, you would have to wait for us if you want to meet in Colorado. If things took longer than we thought, at least you would have plenty of time to get home..... unless things went wrong for you

If we did something in Colorado at the end of the week, others on the page in the area could join us.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

..That would be Nocibur wouldn't it ?
Sorry
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:49pm

Thinking, we would camp Sunday night where we did last year at that camp past the granite (not sure of the name). Camp at Rubicon Springs Monday night. Tuesday, we would make it to the Observation Point, turn around, head back and hopefully make it to Buck Island. Then, Wednesday, however long it takes to get back to Loon. Pretty optimist schedule on my part but if this worked out we would have 2 days to get to colorado and run another trail.

...Either way, as we all know, we won't know what is best till we get to the Observation Point.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but I didn’t know Bob’s schedule.  We may be too tired or broke down to run it backwards anyway.  

Bob, if you are going to be there a week early, I can also come out a little early and maybe we can run The Wentworth Springs portion of the trail before everyone else makes it there.  Just a thought.  I’m open to anything.  I just try to minimize highway miles on Gus if I can help it.  If we all caravan in our jeeps back to Loon, then it shouldn’t be much of a problem.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 6:35pm

[QUOTE=jpet]....Bob, if you are going to be there a week early, I can also come out a little early and maybe we can run The Wentworth Springs portion of the trail before everyone else makes it there.  Just a thought.  I’m open to anything.  I just try to minimize highway miles on Gus if I can help it.  If we all caravan in our jeeps back to Loon, then it shouldn’t be much of a problem.]
..... or, you could meet Bob at Tahoe. You guys could run the trail backwards and meet us at Loon Lake on Sunday. If you guys break something, we could bring it to you on the trail. Then your trailers would already be in Tahoe.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 7:04pm
If we’re giving preferences, based on my experience last year (probably not a fair basis since I was still beat up and recovering from my accident and the mad rush to get the wrinkles out of Grampa’s Jeepin time for the trip but ....) by the time we made it through one way I was done. I had no more in me. I really wanted to keep going with the group out to Colorado, but really I was just happy to get home. I didn’t touch my Jeep for a couple of weeks.p afterwards. 

I think this year I’ll be in better shape. I have no plans for highway roll overs or bringing a Jeep back from the dead in less than a month while injured, but one time through the Rubicon grinder would be enough for me. That way maybe I’d have enough left in my personal tank to carry on to Colorado or Moab or whatever with the group.  I’m very interested in the Schofield Pass and Devil’s Punchbowl Trail.

That being said, if the group wants to go back, I’m there. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 9:20pm
Just a suggestion from a non participant since you brought up running it backwards.

Everyone pretty much seems to think it is tougher backwards...(personally that seems very hard on reverse gear but to each his own) LOL Wink

Back to my original thought....trailers in Tahoe, run in that way, down Cadillac, into the Springs, then up the Sluices ...the hard way. Camp wherever you want to...turn around, down the Sluices and back out(the hard or tiring part is done first)  the same way to Tahoe and trailers.

Just a thought since you mentioned the backwards thing....(probably disadvantages to this too though)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:00pm

Bob, if you are going to be there a week early, I can also come out a little early......

Rick, Although I will be there a week early I already have plans to do some non-Jeep stuff.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:06pm
My vote is run the Rubicon one way and then do something else. How about a Colorado trail on Thursday and another on Friday? Schofield Pass, Holy Cross, and select another one in reserve just in case.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:20pm
I would run it backwards if everyone wanted to but I would prefer not to if it meant we would have time to do something else. In Colorado.

I don't know what shape the trail will be in this year but from what I saw last year, it would be no harder to run backwards other than the very end of the Big Sluice.

IMO, If someone wanted the challenge, they could simply turn around at the end of the Big Sluice, run that end part backwards, then come back. It wouldn't take that long..... unless you break something.

One of my favorite parts of the trail was the pizza at the end.(can't remember the name of that town). I'd kinda hate to miss that and I'd even like to spend a little more time there.

Ray had mentioned to me that there is a trail off I-70 near Idaho Springs called "Spring Creek" It's supposed to be kinda tough but he says it's doable.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>