Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prep work for the 2018 Rubicon trail trip.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prep work for the 2018 Rubicon trail trip.
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 3:52pm
Guys I figured I would make a post about my upcoming CJ2A page trip on the rubicon trail in July of 18. I have never done any type of “rock crawling”, so this is all new to me and well be a large learning curve.

The jeep that I’m going to take is a 46 2a. I bought it off the forum this summer. https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/sold-1946-vec-cj2a_topic40577.html
I will be making a few mods to it to be more trail ready. 
I have already added changed out the 41 to a 44 with a full floating kit. When I did this I added Powerlocks to both front and rear ends.
The list that I’m thinking of so far is:
t90c with tera-low D18. I will probably pull the OD out and use in my 3a.
Add rock sliders to the shock mounts.
Add rock sliders under the door opening.
Change out the transmission side plate to a MB style that seems to have more support.

I would also like to add a PTO winch on the front of her, not sure if this will happen in time.

I’m open to and greatly appreciate and suggestions and help.

Looking forward to meeting a few guys from this forum and a fun trip!!

Thanks
Jay
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 7:50pm
I'm looking forward to the build and the trail!

Keep us updated with pics and/or vids.

Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 3:51am
I'd keep the OD for more gearing options. 

I'm puzzled by this: "Change out the transmission side plate to a MB style".  To what side plate are you referring? 

As for this: "Add rock sliders to the shock mounts."  maybe check out U-bolts that mount upside-down.  Of course, then you would have to find another way to mount the shocks at the bottom, so maybe not.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I'd keep the OD for more gearing options. 

I'm puzzled by this: "Change out the transmission side plate to a MB style".  To what side plate are you referring? 

As for this: "Add rock sliders to the shock mounts."  maybe check out U-bolts that mount upside-down.  Of course, then you would have to find another way to mount the shocks at the bottom, so maybe not.

I will keep the OD if I can run it without having to buy a new gear, as I think you have to in order to run the tera low kit. I will check with Herm on this.

If you look at this link http://www.opie.com/jeep/skidplate.htm at plate number 8 you will notice it has an extra mount to the frame towards the front of the plate. I do not know if this will work with the bigger t90. May have to extend the tab.

I'm not sure at all about what to do with the U bolts. Don't want to redesign the wheel and have to move shocks or source an od ball set.

Thanks again
Jay
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 3:18pm
Jay,
I'm pretty sure you saw this, but just in case, we had a discussion of u-bolt sliders on the 2017 Rubicon thread. Starts about page 17.  I think I'm going to do the simple angle iron slider that John (oilleaker1) suggested there.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 3:52pm
Yes I have been looking at those posts. Thinking about using a piece of 1x1x1/4" angle iron welded to the center of the spring plate so I can slide on the bottom of the V. 

Thanks
Jay 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 4:48pm
Jay,
Your thread should prove interesting. 
The Rubicon was originally a trail in earlier days yet evidently has evolved to somewhat of a rock crawling Mecca.
It's not an off-road crawling park but remains as one of the toughest actual trails in the continental  U.S.

I tend to classify jeeps into 3 basic categories according to their capabilities.. 
Street Jeeps seldom or only occasionally get off-road . Nuff said.
Expedition or Trail Jeeps are the most versatile or universal of all vehicles that have ever been devised.
Expedition  and trail conditions are typically long duration and may range from easy going to extremely harsh.
Dedicated Crawlers are  just that and often times they are not even legal on-road.

In my opinion a Rubicon Jeep is best prepared as an extreme capable Expedition/Trail Jeep.
Myself I have long admired the expedition rigs of times past. 
Expedition Jeeps are by far my favorite category.

Jeep versatility is all about RANGING ability.
To be specific ranging entails both RPM and gear ranging applied in unison.
I consider the standard Willys 37/1 crawl ratio as bare minimum for any trail Jeep.
And true rock crawling generally begins at around 75/1.
Because the Rubicon is an extreme trail I suggest your ratio is ideally close to true crawling ability.
To run successfully (minimal or no damage) your Jeep ideally would have a crawl ration near 75/1.
That said you might suffice with a suggested minimum  50/1 crawl ratio with decent results.

At only 50/1 ratio better make sure your other components are fully up to snuff.

Looks like your particular Jeep has standard 16" wheels with a set of STA 6.50 x 16 tires. 
So your jeep presently sets at a full 30" tire height which is certainly marginal.
That factor alone certainly  implies an even greater need for optimum skid protection.

These are my suggested priorities.
Ranging (RPM and gearing) is your primary line of ability.
Clearance (tire diameter and suspension height) is your primary line of defense

Traction (tire tread, tire footprint, lockers and suspension flex) is your secondary line of ability.
Skid protection (plates and runners) are your secondary line of defense

Edited by oldtime - 09 Sep. 2017 at 4:50pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 5:46pm
Looks like I will do the T90c and tera low combo. That should give me a 56:1 final ratio. I was also looking at my pie of skid plates that I have, both MB and CJ. Between that and looking back at the 17 trip posts and seeing Ricks broken parking brake. I was thinking that if I changed to an earlier stye MB/GPW with the external band it would do two things. It's almost 1 3/4" smaller in dia, so 7/8" clearance, and it is not cast so it should not brake if I hit a rock. Any thoughts on this? I will be doing an new t case so adding the early style learning retainer should not be an issue.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 10:32pm
"Learning retainer?" I could use one of those!Tongue
Rick Estes
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I was thinking that if I changed to an earlier stye MB/GPW with the external band it would do two things. It's almost 1 3/4" smaller in dia, so 7/8" clearance, and it is not cast so it should not brake if I hit a rock. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like a good idea. I changed to 11" drum rear brakes, with integral parking brake, and removed the transfer case parking brake. I duplicated the DJ-3A parking brake linkage to actuate the integral parking brake.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 3:43am
I've already put a skid plate on and it has already saved my new brake drum.   I didn't have an original skid plate, but I did have a factory TJ skid plate that I modified.  I like it a lot.   I'll try to post some pics of it tomorrow or Monday.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 1:35pm
Bob's idea of parking brakes is superior to the drum brake on the driveline, and the WW2 external band was a wimpy set up and a pain to adjust. The rear park brake cables would be prone to getting snagged unless routed up close to the bottom of the body.  I'd maybe delete all and go with a micro lever lock set up for park brake. Only bad part is if you tear a brake line off, you have no back up brake system at all. lots to decide. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 8:06pm
Quote  I duplicated the DJ-3A parking brake linkage to actuate the integral parking brake.
I'd like to see that Bob.
I understand the standard cane handle is a poor performer for actuating 11' rear Bendix parking brakes.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 1:08am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I'd like to see that Bob.
I understand the standard cane handle is a poor performer for actuating 11' rear Bendix parking brakes.

The DJ-3A has a lever to multiply the force of the cane handle. I made up a lever with the same ratio as the DJ-3A lever and used DJ-3A rear cables. It works acceptably but I feel like a properly functioning transfer case brake has more holding power.

I also have a 'micro lock' in the hydraulic system. Here in New York State these are not acceptable as a parking brake for the required annual vehicle safety inspection.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 3:56pm
Drill a hole through your floorboard and stick a screw driver through your u-joint.

Jay,  Like to add you to the list.  Does your jeep have a name?

Edited by jpet - 13 Sep. 2017 at 1:59pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Drill a hole through your floorboard and stick a screw driver through you u-joint.

Jay,  Like to add you to the list.  Does your jeep have a name?

Do I need a phillips or straight blade screw diver for this mod???

No name yet. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 9:21pm
I like the screwdriver idea, simple, effective. My jeep doesn't have a name either but I have called it a lot of different things (not suitable to post here though).
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 3:44am
Don't worry; the name will present itself at the proper time.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>