Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prep work for the 2018 Rubicon trail trip.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 3:30pm
I took your advise and dropped the #, and it appears to work!!!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2017 at 1:10am
Does anyone have info about a skid plate for the e-brake? Seems very vulnerable. Watched a friend hit one this Spring. He kept going but the brake didn't.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:30pm
May I add to the comments -

Hey Chasendeer
Wow you are lucky you didn't get burnt-out in those Napa fires.
I am up south of Redding, and was through Callistoga 2-days prior to the fires.

Anyway - prep for the Runbicon !
I prepped a '46 CJ2A in stock format in 1985 and ran it through the Rubicaon the following 2-summers.
   I can offer what i did to my Willys.
First - you need articulation. i cut, and welded extensions to the spring-pack guides. This moved the cross-bolt Up away from the upper leaf, for More-Droop. measured full droop in a twist and bought new Monroe shocks based on their extended/collapsed chart.
   Good articulation is a Must ! ( i laughed at the guys with Rancho springs ..... they were too stiff back then with no-droop ).
   Second - Air pressure ... lower-it to 12-lbs depending on tires.
   Third - invert your spring U-bolts to the threads stick-Up with the plates on top of the spring-pack. ( Carry 2-spares .... ) then no-sliders needed.
   Fourth - Emergency brake - i took mine OFF for clearance.
   Fifth - Brakes.   i ran the original drum brakes, but with all components in very-good working order .... and Properly adjusted.

The Rubicon will keep you in a white-knuckle state, and you will be very pleased you have the Terra-low.

My First year throught the Rubicon, i drove my '77 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade with 304 V-8 and 4:10 with 3-spd transmission.
   I was on the Brakes the whole time, trying to go slow enough. And had to slip the clutch a fair amount too.
   I ran the old Armstrong Tru-Trac tirew which were about 32" diameter.
Those tires worked Good while aired-down to 12-psi.
   The second year, 1984, i installed a T-18A transmission out of a 2wd Ford pickup, and bought the Novak adapter kit, and installed the Dream T-18.

To summarize, i ran my Cj-7 each year from 1987 to 2001.
1985 and 1986 i ran the little Willys those two summers.
   Low Center-of-Gravity is good to keep in mind. Pack all spared parts and tools on the Floorboards. I have seen jeeps upside down, and it happens quick.

I would focus on Articulation, and make sure you do not have Any Drive-train-Bind in U-joints at full suspension droop !
   Ken had a great write-up and very good pointers on gearing ratios.

I was always AMAZED at how well the Odd-Fire V-6 climbed. Years later, i read an article that discussed the reason why.
    They have a heavy flywheel like a Hay-Baler ! bumping into a rock will not stall the V-6 because the momentum of the Flywheel carries it up-and-Over.

Have fun and Good-Fortune !

Feel free to ask me for any clarification.

Len
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 9:35pm
Len
Thanks for the info. I was very lucky on the fire, it burned to about 1/2 mile from my home!!
I will look in to a few of the mods.
Thanks
Jay

Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

May I add to the comments -

Hey Chasendeer
Wow you are lucky you didn't get burnt-out in those Napa fires.
I am up south of Redding, and was through Callistoga 2-days prior to the fires.

Anyway - prep for the Runbicon !
I prepped a '46 CJ2A in stock format in 1985 and ran it through the Rubicaon the following 2-summers.
   I can offer what i did to my Willys.
First - you need articulation. i cut, and welded extensions to the spring-pack guides. This moved the cross-bolt Up away from the upper leaf, for More-Droop. measured full droop in a twist and bought new Monroe shocks based on their extended/collapsed chart.
   Good articulation is a Must ! ( i laughed at the guys with Rancho springs ..... they were too stiff back then with no-droop ).
   Second - Air pressure ... lower-it to 12-lbs depending on tires.
   Third - invert your spring U-bolts to the threads stick-Up with the plates on top of the spring-pack. ( Carry 2-spares .... ) then no-sliders needed.
   Fourth - Emergency brake - i took mine OFF for clearance.
   Fifth - Brakes.   i ran the original drum brakes, but with all components in very-good working order .... and Properly adjusted.

The Rubicon will keep you in a white-knuckle state, and you will be very pleased you have the Terra-low.

My First year throught the Rubicon, i drove my '77 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade with 304 V-8 and 4:10 with 3-spd transmission.
   I was on the Brakes the whole time, trying to go slow enough. And had to slip the clutch a fair amount too.
   I ran the old Armstrong Tru-Trac tirew which were about 32" diameter.
Those tires worked Good while aired-down to 12-psi.
   The second year, 1984, i installed a T-18A transmission out of a 2wd Ford pickup, and bought the Novak adapter kit, and installed the Dream T-18.

To summarize, i ran my Cj-7 each year from 1987 to 2001.
1985 and 1986 i ran the little Willys those two summers.
   Low Center-of-Gravity is good to keep in mind. Pack all spared parts and tools on the Floorboards. I have seen jeeps upside down, and it happens quick.

I would focus on Articulation, and make sure you do not have Any Drive-train-Bind in U-joints at full suspension droop !
   Ken had a great write-up and very good pointers on gearing ratios.

I was always AMAZED at how well the Odd-Fire V-6 climbed. Years later, i read an article that discussed the reason why.
    They have a heavy flywheel like a Hay-Baler ! bumping into a rock will not stall the V-6 because the momentum of the Flywheel carries it up-and-Over.

Have fun and Good-Fortune !

Feel free to ask me for any clarification.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 4:50am
   I liked Jpet's reply about the E-brake and the hole with the screwdriver !

If I look closely, mine may already have a rust-hole available.

hahaha

some of those inclines may make things pucker a bit, and Yes I would start the Jeep in-gear on occasion in a Desperate-situation. Clench your Teeth.

I looked at your Jeep in the link you provided, and that is a Keeper.

What kit did you use for the Full-Floating rear spindle / axle and brake conversion ?

My brother-in-law has an old Air-Force CJ2A and he had someone convert his rear to a 44 dana with full-float spindles, and I think he spent some $$$$.
   And he said it still tows hard. .... well, he's pulling with a ford.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 5:05am

What kit did you use for the Full-Floating rear spindle / axle and brake conversion ?

My brother-in-law has an old Air-Force CJ2A and he had someone convert his rear to a 44 dana with full-float spindles, and I think he spent some $$$$.

I used Herms Kit for the 44, it already had 11" brakes.
Jay

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 11:58am

Perhaps that's what's required!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 5:10am
I found a Carter WO 431 with the adjustable high speed jet. I figured it may come in handy up there.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:32am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Does anyone have info about a skid plate for the e-brake? Seems very vulnerable. Watched a friend hit one this Spring. He kept going but the brake didn't.

Realized that I never posted pics of my skid plate.  This is off a late model TJ.  I “un-welded” it, narrowed the cross member, and then re-welded it with a little offset to cover the brake drum.  It has already saved my bacon several times.  This is a must for trails like the Rubicon.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:59pm
I drove the Rubicon trail some years ago in a more or less stock Toyota Landcruiser (FJ40). Two things I wished I'd had are power steering and on-board air.

T90C and TerraLow are good ideas. Sliders - yes. Hi-steer - yes. 

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 3:50am
Well she made it!!! Only issue it had was the clutch pivot came out twice at the end and death wobble due to a bent tie rod. We adjusted the tie rod longer and then drove 80 +/- miles back to the truck!!!

It was a great trip!!! I will try to add some photos of the damage that was done.

Jay
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 4:25am
I'm glad you made it. We were up doing Holy Cross City here in CO and there was a FJ40 with a length of an Aspen wired to the tie rod to hold it together. We do what we need to do.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 4:56am
   Jay you made it !! that is so cool.

Where did you carry your spare ?

Hey, similar to you, this year with the Carr Fire in Redding, it burned over 1,100 homes and was 16-miles from me. My god, that 20-foot-tall dense Manzanita brush went up like a roman-candle with a dense canopy of Digger Pines that may stand 80-feet tall.   We lost the sun July 23, and never saw it for 45-days.
   I wonder how many Willys got burned-up :-(

Let me know if you have a friend with a Carter WO that is collecting dust.
I hope to find a good used Carter for my L134.

If you come through the Redding area and have time to visit let me know, and I will show you around my collection of "stuff." real case of Jeepitis.

Will you be going back for more Rubicon ?

Len
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 5:56am

...real case of Jeepitis.

Make sure you don't let anyone cure you.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 6:25am
Len
Yes we made it!! Fun trip!! My spare was on the fender right behind me. That Carr sure was a bad one!! Glad you made.
I will look you up next time I'm up that way.
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:06pm
Well its time to dust her off for this years trip. My plans for her are just a few updates.
First on my list is to figure out why it will not hold any oil!! Hoping for a loose oil pan nut. Wish me luck.
Next will be an upgrade to the suspension. On the last trip my springs took a beating. I will be changing them out with some good used ones, I have a stash of GPW ones I may use!!!. I will also upgrade the U shackles to M38a1 closed end style. Had to order these for the Netherlands, also a set of Ian's new U bolt sliders. My main issue on the trip two tears ago was broken engine mounts that caused the majority of my problems, there for I'm also going to use a set of Ian's engine mounts.
Jay 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:18pm
I ordered a set of four M38a1 spring shackles from David Wildenberg on Sunday, they showed up today. Cant beat NOS parts!!
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:31pm
Found a nice set of M38 springs in my boneyard that I'm going to use.
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123