Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prep work for the 2018 Rubicon trail trip.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 4:01am

Rubicon has been a bucket list for a LONG time . . but SO far away.

I have been using a Lokar lever to activate the 11" rear emergency brakes on my '2A. I have been using for over 20 years, and very happy with it. Can lock up 32" tires on pavement.

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/emergency-brakes/ebrake-pgs/floormount-ehandbrake.html

Edited by JeepFever - 12 Sep. 2017 at 4:04am
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 6:56am
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the transfer case parking brake as I want to stick to mods that can be undone with out major repair.
Thanks
Jay 
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Yes I have been looking at those posts. Thinking about using a piece of 1x1x1/4" angle iron welded to the center of the spring plate so I can slide on the bottom of the V. 

Thanks
Jay 

If you invert and weld the iron to slide on the "V"...you may want to consider an access hole for the center pin.  I broke both by rear pins, but I couldn't tell you in which order...U bolts-then pin,  or, shackle, ubolts,pin...etc.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 2:04am
I had a little time today to play with the skid plates. I have a GPW skid plate (#9 form http://www.opie.com/jeep/skidplate.htm) and a Late war MB (#8 from same link) that has had the front cut off of it.
I was thinking of cutting the MB#8 off just in front of the four mounting bolts and bolting the two plates together. The #8 extends about 1.5" farther to the rear to provide more protection for the parking brake.
The GPW #9 has the added tab on the passenger side to provide protection for the exhaust pipe. I will be using MB/GPW exhaust as it gives me more room for the PTO winch set up.

I need to figure out the photos posting on the site!!

Thanks
Jay

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 3:36pm
For the u-bolt skid plate, may I propose a set of these by Stev?
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/leaf-spring-mount-skid-plates-sliders_topic41059.html

One of the guys here, I can't remember who, bent up the stock skid plate on a trail and found that doubling it up worked very well.

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 3:56pm
Les
 Thanks that would be an easy set to make, they could also come off for a stock look the rest of the year!!
Jay
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 6:08pm
Thank Stev! He makes all kind of gear that I'd love to have on my jeep. Check out his 'batwing' doors sometime.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 6:35pm
Jay,
I have been reading your prep with great interest and would love to make the Rubicon run one of these years.
Our 46 is set up pretty much like what you are proposing with the exception of the Teraflex low range transfer case.

Our 1946 has:
- Powerloks  in front (Dana 25) and in rear (19 spline, Dana 44)
- Ramsey front 8,000# PTO winch with 21,000# rope
- Double skid plates bolted together - all around using carriage bolts + the WW2 MB exhaust pipe protector skid plate.
- MB side exhaust - So the PTO winch drive line is easy and the exhaust pipe is up and out of the way.  The muffler is hooked to the exhaust pipe with a clamp and the muffler is hung from the tail pipe just forward of the rear tire mounted to the bottom of the tub.  That way if it takes a really bad hit it can rotate and / or even come free. Pretty easy to reinstall with gloves when hot.
- Skid plate for the Ramsey PTO unit under the drivers seat picks up the frame rail, the cross member and the side of the double thick skid plate.  (I can post a picture if you would like to see it).
- Spring perch sliders of my own design - actually pretty simple to make and they are sliders and don't get hung up on rocks.  Les has the link to the thread with photos above (They have never come off and they are no lower than the bottom of the shock mounted on the spring plate). 
- M170 Jeep rear spring shackles with the side plates - the stock ones are always getting bent.
- Geo Tracker front disc brakes with a dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve for the rear drums.
- Stock working transfer case parking brake.
- 4 point seat belts
- hold down points for every thing with straps.
- Gas and water can holders and a bolt down attachment in the bed for the Hi-lift jack.

Other things I have done to it:
-12 volt alternator (1 wire), Electronic ignition, Optima Battery, front radiator guard made of expanded metal that mounts on the back side of the grill in front of the radiator.  It has a roll bar with down riggers mounted to the frame (interesting that in most of the pictures I see people are wheeling with no roll bar?? Looks cool - but safety??)  

Additional things I would consider after looking a the videos of these trips (which are AWESOME!):
- Add a draw bar to the 1946 and the New ever popular rear tire/can holder that mounts to the draw bar and the tailgate hook plates (nice work by the designers on The 2A Page).
- Changing the Cj2a transmission cross member to a CJ3A cross member (less to hang up on).  Take a look at Stan's battle damaged cross member where it meets the driver's side frame in his video.
- Sliders for the side of the Tub as you are suggesting 
- Add some type of armor for the spring/clutch cross over tube on the drives side frame rail.
- Add a skid plate to the bottom of the MB muffler.  I am thinking of a section of 3/16 thick flat steel that has a slight bend down the middle to contour to the bottom of the MB muffler.  It would be welded to the bottom of the muffler.  I think JPet has some videos that show some damage to his MB style muffler from these trips.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by Stev - 01 Nov. 2017 at 6:38pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 7:09pm
My plans include a lot of that as well. My difference is that I don't want the drawbar. I don't like what it does to the departure angle.
That aside, I'm hoping to fab up a swing-away carrier for two tires and at least 2 jerries. I don't know if it will be single- or double-hinged yet, we'll see how it goes.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 7:19pm
.... actually, my muffler only received a few minor scratches that are hardly noticeable:

.... I suppose a little touch up paint couldn't hurt but I think it looks ok
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 7:33pm
  LOL
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:04pm
that'll buff out...

BTW, is that Bam Bam, or Thump Crunch Crunch Screeeeeeeech?

Edited by LesBerg - 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:09pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

that'll buff out...
.. true, but then someone might steal it!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:08pm
ROFL! see above edit... Big smile
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 4:38am
With the fires around here now out, I've been able to do a little work to the 2a. I did not like the tow bar that was on the jeep. I had a WWII tandem tow part in my parts pile, so I figured it would be a good fit. I also thought the frame was the same up front, I was wrong. With a little help from an adapt-a-kit it did fit!! I also didn't like the draw bar hanging down in the back. So it removed it and added a pintle/2" hitch to the back. I have a few WWII trailers that I can now tow with her and has a cleaner rear end. When doing this I found out that the tailgate was a mess, it had homemade hinges and a lot of rust on her. So off the boneyard I went found a nice 2a gate and a set of the proper cast hinge pieces as well.

If I could only figure out the photo thing here. I think I may have done such!!!

Next on my list will be skid plates.

Thanks for all the input and help, it is greatly appreciated..

Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 6:08am
Picked up a set of front axel shock mount sliders this week from Facebook. I think these will help out!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 6:11am
Man I can't for the life of me figure out photos on this site!!! I think i have it... Then nothing!!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 12:15pm
I’m not sure what’s wrong with the pic. The link does not lead to anywhere.   I wonder if it has to do with the name of the photo having a “#” sign in it. “slider#2”.

I’m not sure what all the problems are with posting photos but one thing I have learned on this site and some others is that you will have a lot less problems if you do not take vertical photos with your phone camera, and when you take a horizontal picture, make sure your phone is orientated so that the camera is in the top left corner rather than the bottom right. When naming your photos, keep the name short and simple with no special characters other than an underscore for a space, “_”.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>