Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hershey PA AACA National Fall Meet Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hershey PA AACA National Fall Meet Questions
    Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 3:22am
Not posting a plug for the show but not having been to this show before, I have some questions for those of you who have been there yourself before.
I am only 2 hours away from Hershey and given some thought to going for one of the days of the fall meet 2017.  I am not really going for the car show portion itself, really no time for that... more interested in finding some pars I am still lacking for my project.  

Here are my questions:

1.  If I can only make one day which one would you recommend? (Wed - Fri)  Can you actually make good time and see most all of the vendors in one day?

2.  Assuming the parts vendors are randomly set up and early 2A parts could be anywhere, (the website just shows the map, Orange, Green, Chocolate, Red etc.)  Is there any system or do you do you just start walking the rows etc?

3.  I know it is the luck of the draw sometimes but have any of you had any real success finding what you need with regards to 2A parts?

4.  I see parking is $15.  Are there any other options or suggestions? (yeah, I know it may sound cheap and no, I am not looking to walk 5 miles to save $5. LOL

5.  Anything that I am not mentioning or asking, comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thank you,

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 5:24am
I have never been to Hershey but I have been to a number of HUGE auto Swap meets like the April show in Portland OR.

The best day is the First day. You can't imagine how many good deals disappear the first day.
Parking is what it is. Why spend an Hour on a shuttle or walking to then walk another 10 miles trying to see as much of the show as possible

Expect to walk many many many miles if you plan on buying anything bigger then will fit in a back pack you have two options paying some kid with a cart to haul it to your rig or dragging a crat with you so you can drag what ever you find all day until you leave. Yes most dealers and sellers will allow you to leave the what ever where you bought it and pick it up later (you best remember where its at)

Food and Water is expensive and usually a long ways from where your at with LONG lines. Take water and something to eat.

CASH as most will not have the ability to take a card of any kind.

Yes you just start walking the rows unless something catches your eye stay to the middle of the row and try to keep a cadence if you shuffle walk along you will end up with very tired feet and legs as well as not cover as much.

At the last Portland show I attended I managed to cover everything in one day ONE VERY LONG DAY I understand Hershey is  Much much larger then the Portland show

this is a map of the outside area off the Portland show there are also 6 large buildings full of stalls

http://www.portlandswapmeet.com/attachments/Map2012.jpg

Some other suggestions from the Portland Swap meet organizers

http://www.portlandswapmeet.com/news/articles/Top%2010%20Tips%20for%20being%20a%20Happy%20Shopper%20at%20an%20Auto%20Swap%20Meet.pdf

hope this adds to your enjoyment of the swap meet I have always wanted to go to Hershey
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 12:32pm
Mark,
All good advice.  I have been to small shows and flea markets where you are pretty much done seeing everyone within an hour or so.
I really appreciate the input.  If the first day is the best day to go then it sounds as though the Wednesday the 4th would be when I want to go.
Thanks again.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:00pm
The only reason that the first day wouldn't be the best for finding things you want is if the show allows sellers and vendors to show up later.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 1:33am
I do not know for sure but I would guess that vendors and sellers are allowed to show up later.
That was a concern, that those vendors and sellers that would be there on Wednesday would be the business type and do this kind of thing all the time.
The usual parts guy looking to unload some stuff would probably not show up until Friday or Saturday, wouldn't you think?
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 1:58am
If it is like bike gatherings, the best selection is at the beginning and prices go down towards the end of the show so they don't have to pack everything.
uncamonkey
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 11:50am
If anyone is interested in stopping by, I will be in the Society of Automotive Historians tent on Thursday from 12:30 - 3 selling Dispatcher Magazines and Holy Toledo! calendars. The location is the orange field OBB 17-19.

I've never been either and am pretty excited to go.

Thanks,
Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 1:46am
Bill,
I would love to stop in and say hello.  But, I think I am going to go on Wednesday.  I talked to one of my customers today and he is a regular there selling for his business.
He confirmed that Wednesday will present the best choices and selection.
He also recommended being there when the gates open.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:26am
Wow, that's almost like insider trading!  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 12:09am
Well, Hershey was way bigger then I ever imagined....and unfortunately way shorter than I imagined as well....
I hit the grounds about 7:45am and about 3 hours in my wife called and she had come down with the dreadful stomach bug going on around here.  You basically cannot keep anything down.

With three kids at home and no one near by to relieve her, I headed home (2hr and 15 minute drive back)

I was still glad I went though.  I bought a Sparton horn with mount and a few toy Jeeps.

Some takeaways:

- Bring a cart next time.  I had my backpack and the insurance tents were giving away those cheap bags but I would have needed a card had I stayed longer

- Wear very comfortable shoes and pace yourself  (This is a given of course, but even at 3 hours I was starting to feel the discomfort in my right foot.  I moved pretty quickly wanting to see as much as I could and I think if I had my better shoes it would have been better)

- Buy a program (These were available at the main entries for $5.  I didn't really know what it was until later when I saw others looking at the maps in side and marking where things were that they had seen, This would come in handy as the vendor space is overwhelming)

- Try to have correct currency (Quite a few vendors were not even at their table and had an honor system set up for you to pay in their box.... I started with a bunch of $20's so not having correct change and a locked box in front of me.... I couldn't buy what I was looking at)

- The little bit I did get to see (the first day may provide a huge selection but vendors are less likely to negotiate price... It could have just been my luck with vendors but at least three of them said no to my (well what I thought was) reasonable offers and responded with "its early on the first day... I can get more than that later today or tomorrow"

- Take my dad next time and rent him a golf cart, for the day.  (Easier on him of course and then you don't have to carry all your stuff)
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2017 at 11:43am
I found the "special honored guest".

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 4:05am
I was there Thursday,  looked for Glen's tent but missed it.   
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

I found the "special honored guest".

Embarrassed I look like I just woke up....glad we got to catch up Bob.

I did get to meet and talk with Glenn as well as pick through some of Altoy Jeeps.

Surprised to run into Lindsay Clark too.

I had my pedometer on me and Wednesday and logged just over 11 miles and I think I saw maybe 10% of everything there. What a cool place.

Saw the AACA museum Thursday morning- a special event that's only open during Fall Hershey. That was neat to see. So many car companies I never heard of.

One other recommendation is the AACA library. Spent all day there Friday with Paul Barry of Willys America. Dug up some wagon stuff he had never scene- did not think that was possible. I'll post some of the pictures I found there once I get everything sorted out.

Hershey was on my bucket list to go to, but now I'm thinking it should be an annual pilgrimage.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 3:25am
As I said above Hersey has always been on my Bucket list. Its just to far away and at the worst time of year (anytime from April to mid Nov is a bad time Construction Season) for me. Maybe in 6 years when I retire we can get a head start in Chug and travel there.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply