Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4.0L in CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.0L in CJ2A
    Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 8:48pm
I have a '47 CJ2A with a Buick 198 engine. I wanted to go to a hydraulic clutch, but no one makes a kit for that combination. I also have a '96 Jeep Cherokee that is a rust bucket but has a 4.0L inline 6. Has anyone made that swap? Would it require a hefter tranny, like a 4 or 5 speed?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 8:53pm
  The 4.0 is a good deal longer than either the L-134 or the 198. I think there'll be some real butchery involved here.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 8:54pm
That 4.0 is pretty long you may have to drive from the back seat. It's a good motor though, I have one with about 275 k and never been apart and I use it to plow snow.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Willysguy Willysguy wrote:

I have a '47 CJ2A with a Buick 198 engine. I wanted to go to a hydraulic clutch, but no one makes a kit for that combination. I also have a '96 Jeep Cherokee that is a rust bucket but has a 4.0L inline 6. Has anyone made that swap? Would it require a hefter tranny, like a 4 or 5 speed?

Many have done a similar swap but they had to make up the brackets themselves.
A 4.0 in a 2A with a longer transmission is a challenge. Longer engine and drive train will make things a bit too tight. The 198 V6 is an unappreciated motor. I ran one in my MB for years, Just a bit hard to find some parts.
uncamonkey
Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 9:10pm
I simply can't find a hydraulic clutch kit for it, I'm thinking of going to a Buick 225 V6 which has kits available.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 9:12pm
All that, just for a hydraulic clutch? Shocked  BW

Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 9:16pm
The linkage assembly I have now is a Joke, looks like something off of an old screen door. I am sick of having to crawl under it to readjust everytime I drive it. There has to be a better way.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 9:41pm
Why not tear it out and build something that works? It can't be any harder than building mounts and altering the body for something else, like the 4.0.   BW

Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 9:51pm
We are already looking at fabricating a linkage, I'm just starting to think it might be easier to go with something that already has a kit for it, like a Buick 225. I was just wondering if what I already have, the 4.0L might do the job. But it sounds like it's not a reasonable fit. I'm some 15K into this Willys, I want it to be drivable.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 10:00pm
What tranny/transfer case are you using?
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2017 at 11:27pm
Willys stock, probably need to change that too
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 12:33am
I don't really don't know. A lot of the 198 and 225 parts interchange but the blocks won't so I don't know what will bolt on. If your T90, D18, OD is in good shape it will stand up to a built 350 V8 unless you get stupid about how you drive it.
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 12:46am
The reason I was asking was if some cobbled up version of the stock linkage is what you have then you can make that right a WHOLE lot easier than another engine swap.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 12:53am
I'm told that what I have is the original linkage, but it is the only one I have seen, so I don't really know.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 1:06am
If you paid someone to do it I'd make them fix it, that's a lot of money to have in a with a lousy clutch.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 1:10am
Why not look into Advance Adapter's chain clutch control setup.....not hydraulic but doesn't have the issues a stock rod setup has. (which can be improved with just a differently fabbed rod anyway)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Willysguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 1:11am
I'm paying some one to try to make a hydraulic clutch
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 3:31am
That's going to require quite a bit of (expensive) modification.  You'll need a master and slave cylinder, probably firewall mounting, custom bracketry for everything...  Lotsa bux there, I'd say.  To me, the improvement wouldn't be worth the cost.  However, I'm a cheap-a** tightwad, so take what I say with a block of salt... Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>