Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoration has finally begun.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoration has finally begun.
    Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 12:03am
After nearly a year I am finally able to begin a complete tub off  - ground up restoration on my 1946 CJ2A.  The mechanical stuff I can do myself so I am beginning with the chassis and engine but I will have to outsource the bodywork.  My intention while rebuilding the chassis (which is 1st on the agenda) after sandblasting and painting the frame is to replace and not reuse as many wear items (leaf springs and mounting hardware, wheel cylinders, brake lines and hoses, shoes, bellcrank components, shocks, etc.) as I possibly can.  I have found several sources for all of the parts I need and my question is this; is there  a source for parts that offers consistant quality replacement parts or do I just take my chances?  This project is a labor of love for our veterans and I want everything to be as perfect as I can make it.  I am sure I will have more technical questions as things progress and hopefully they won't be too ignorant.  Thanks. 
To our veterans and service men and women; Thank You. To America's 83,000 plus POW/MIAs; You are not forgotten.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 12:30am
Steve I have build a tribute ww2 jeep with a 46 cj2a and I got a lot of my parts from Ron Fitzpatrick G503 and I  was very pleased  with their parts and service.You can check out my build on Your jeep project ,Restoring cj2a 59108 into nb tribute wwII.Have fun with your build and post lots of pictures.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Handler1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 4:05pm
Good morning;

I have completed 2 restorations, similar to what you describe.  I tore the vehicles down to nuts and bolts and used new replacement parts for complete brake system, etc.  

I just wasn't comfortable relying on 71 year old original parts for safety.  I repaired or re-manufactured the parts I could and purchased what I couldn't.  In both cases, I was purchasing when the Canadian dollar was at an historic low.  I had to add 57% to the Distributors list price to get them to my door.  

I keep an Excel Spreadsheet of all my purchases and hours worked if you are interested in what you might be in store for.

I tried a few places and had my best luck with Walck's.  They know what they are talking about and had all the parts I needed.  They will spend some time on the phone with you, if you need some assistance.  You need to be sure of what you are ordering though, because you get what you order and returns are expensive.

don
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 9:15pm
Don, I would be interested in a copy of that spread sheet. If you would be so kind as to PM me a copy, I would appreciate it.

TIA, Matt W. AKA, Cpt Logger.
Handler1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 11:16pm
Hello cpt, sorry to be so long getting back to you, been offline for a couple of days.  Any chance you could forward your email address for me to send you my Excel Spreadsheet?  don
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 8:25am
Don, PM sent.

No worries on the minor delay. I am often off line for a week or three.

Thanks, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply