Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 Willys CJ3A Fire Engine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1949 Willys CJ3A Fire Engine Jeep
    Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 2:19pm
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 2:56pm
Starting bid of $32,000!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 5:34pm
Interesting.......

Listed as a 1949 CJ2A, is actually a CJ3A....

And neither the Boyer # nor that vehicle serial number is listed on the Boyer reference sheet........
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 5:43pm
It's fairly amazing how people try to price things knowing that the item is worth about 1/4 of what they are asking. I suppose you have to start high and dangle the fish hook out there.
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 5:47pm
It's a really nice Willys.  

The listing contradicts itself 4 or 5 times.  First a 2A, then a 3A.  If I were the seller, and going for top dollar, I would be very careful to call it what it is...a 3A.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

Starting bid of $32,000!

"Payment terms are cash in person..."  ConfusedLOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Interesting.......

Listed as a 1949 CJ2A, is actually a CJ3A....

And neither the Boyer # nor that vehicle serial number is listed on the Boyer reference sheet........

That is interesting, I'm not sure what to think about that? 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2017 at 4:27am
Nothing at all about the operating condition of the pump, the suction hoses or the ladder. For fire equipment collectors these are important. Yes, the starting price seems extremely optimistic!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 9:26pm
Well, 0 bids if that tells you anything. It's a nice jeep, just needs solid documents and a knowledegable seller. Still maybe a $20,000 jeep at most
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

Well, 0 bids if that tells you anything. It's a nice jeep, just needs solid documents and a knowledegable seller. Still maybe a $20,000 jeep at most

Sometimes when I don't want the fish to bother me I put on a huge piece of bait... the little ones won't touch it, and ya never know when a huge one is gonna swim by LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 12:46pm
That's a great line
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 1:32pm
Most people don't have 32,000 to drop on a hobby and some of them have a wife to face when they get home. (not me, I just don't have the 32,000)
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 3:01pm
Dear CJ2A page forum.  I am the present owner of this jeep.
Thank you all for your encouraging words.
I have listed this jeep as a CJ2A because the ebay system does not offer a CJ3A category.
The ebay system did this, not me.
I did not contradict myself.  The description does not list this as a CJ2A.

If you review the description, it is described as a CJ3A which is what this jeep is.
A picture of the jeep's data tag was included.

Thank you for suggesting that I am too high on this.
I don't expect to sell this to a casual Willys jeep owner.
You know, the kind that likes to find an old timer who does not know what something is worth and get a really nice find for less than than others would pay for it.  That fellow is not going to buy this jeep and I know it.  He may suggest that this is far fetched or maybe even a fraud.  Why not be glad that something as rare as this has been handled correctly, saved from further deterioration, and put back on the market so it can be enjoyed.

I did quite a bit of research before I priced this jeep.
Can you give me some documentation where a jeep this complete sold for less money?
I talked to one owner of a fire jeep conversion who told me he had been offered more than 40K for his jeep and he turned it down.  That would make my price on this jeep a bargain.
Also, there is some info out there that suggest one of these sold at auction for far more than I am asking.
How many of these jeeps that are this complete are on the market today.

Have you considered that this jeep may not sell to a Willys guy.  It will not sell to someone who is spending the grocery money to feed his hobby and keeping that all from his wife.
This jeep may have more interest from someone who is interested in vintage fire fighting equipment.

Please don't suggest that this jeep is not an honest jeep.  Just because this jeep does not appear on some obscure serial number list does not make this a fraud.  Maybe the serial number list is in accurate.

I have posted this jeep for sale on this forum.  If any of you, or the moderators, feel that this is not an honest listing, or that I am trying to defraud anyone, or misrepresent this jeep, either remove the posting or ask me to and I will.

Also, I have some very nice paperwork that the new owner will get.  He (or she) will be able to see several government documents that carry this jeep's serial number.

I have been on this forum for quite some time.  I have learned from some here and hope I have helped some.  Some have helped me by providing items at no charge to me that I could not locate otherwise.  I have talked to some Willy's collectors who have the "good stuff" and they have all encouraged me that this is a very complete and rare jeep and that my price is very fair.

Dan

Edited by dan s - 10 Nov. 2017 at 3:11pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 5:57pm
Dan,

You make some excellent points. My issues were not with the value, but with the eBay add. It sounds like it was an eBay failure, and that’s fine, but you too can see why this might throw up a red flag for some of us.

I see no issue with the asking price.  It will surely be worth it to the right buyer.  You already know that your buyer is a person with a collection of unique vehicles…Willys or not.  A guy looking for a driver will not see the value the same way.  While very cool, this rig is not usable in a practical sense.  This naturally limits your buying audience.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by dan s dan s wrote:

Dear CJ2A page forum.  I am the present owner of this jeep.
Thank you all for your encouraging words.
I have listed this jeep as a CJ2A because the ebay system does not offer a CJ3A category.
The ebay system did this, not me.
I did not contradict myself.  The description does not list this as a CJ2A.

If you review the description, it is described as a CJ3A which is what this jeep is.
A picture of the jeep's data tag was included.

Thank you for suggesting that I am too high on this.
I don't expect to sell this to a casual Willys jeep owner.
You know, the kind that likes to find an old timer who does not know what something is worth and get a really nice find for less than than others would pay for it.  That fellow is not going to buy this jeep and I know it.  He may suggest that this is far fetched or maybe even a fraud.  Why not be glad that something as rare as this has been handled correctly, saved from further deterioration, and put back on the market so it can be enjoyed.

I did quite a bit of research before I priced this jeep.
Can you give me some documentation where a jeep this complete sold for less money? Yes Dan, I can..
I talked to one owner of a fire jeep conversion who told me he had been offered more than 40K for his jeep and he turned it down.  That would make my price on this jeep a bargain.
Also, there is some info out there that suggest one of these sold at auction for far more than I am asking.  Again Dan, you are very correct, but that fire jeep was a very heavily documented Boyer piece owned by the Mellon estate, and has the most prominence of paper history you will ever see......
How many of these jeeps that are this complete are on the market today.

Have you considered that this jeep may not sell to a Willys guy.  It will not sell to someone who is spending the grocery money to feed his hobby and keeping that all from his wife.
This jeep may have more interest from someone who is interested in vintage fire fighting equipment.

Dan, this very statement is probably spot on.....  And I DO fit every criteria of the statement.... This is why I am requesting particular info to be textd or PM'd to me in your other thread, before I make a determination to actually place a call.... You see Dan, I have more Boyer records than you can imagine, and as I stated before, your numbers are not showing up, therefore I need the info that I requested to piece a timeline together for validity of this vehicle.....   I am interested in it, but I am not shelling out this kind of money unless this jeep is 95-100% correct in originality, and right now I am suspect of a few issues regarding this vehicle......

Please don't suggest that this jeep is not an honest jeep. I have not suggested this in any way..    Just because this jeep does not appear on some obscure serial number list does not make this a fraud. Very true, but does play well with it's originality versus price    Maybe the serial number list is in accurate.  No, it isn't.........

I have posted this jeep for sale on this forum.  If any of you, or the moderators, feel that this is not an honest listing, or that I am trying to defraud anyone, or misrepresent this jeep, either remove the posting or ask me to and I will.

Also, I have some very nice paperwork that the new owner will get.  He (or she) will be able to see several government documents that carry this jeep's serial number.  This I believe, but I want to view the engine serial number, and the pump serial number/tag

I have been on this forum for quite some time.  I have learned from some here and hope I have helped some.  Some have helped me by providing items at no charge to me that I could not locate otherwise.  I have talked to some Willy's collectors who have the "good stuff" and they have all encouraged me that this is a very complete and rare jeep and that my price is very fair.  Funny, we have yet to discuss it....  Hard for a collector to actually base a public opinion without first receiving answers to questions, or better yet, viewing the vehicle in person.... 

I am not saying anything negative about this vehicle, nor do I want to enter into a heated debate regarding it, but I can only think of a handful of other people that would have more knowledge on this vehicle than myself, and yet, none of those people have attempted to be in contact with me that the vehicle has surfaced.......

I shall call, and we will talk...... And thanks for finally getting my Carter carb tools back to me  :)

Mike aka lowenuf

Dan

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 12:11am
If the Cj3a Fire Jeep is still available drop me a line.  I also send you an email via eBay Smile
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 12:17am
Harvey,
I sent you a private message.
Thank you,
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply