Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Difference between CJ2A and CJ3b chassis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between CJ2A and CJ3b chassis
    Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 6:05pm
Hullo guys, what is the difference between a CJ2A and CJ3B chassis, will a 2A tub fit on the 3B chassis? Thanks
Allan Montile
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 7:28pm
To answer your question, Yes, with a bit of tweaking. What are the differences in frames, there are 2 styles of 2A frame, early (most common) and late (uncommon). A late 2A frame and a 3B are nearly the same except for the motor mounts, radiator mounts. an early 2A frame would have the same motor mount as the late 2A frame, ( different than a 3B), a slightly different battery tray than the 3B, a gusseted front bumper, and strapping added to the lower frame rail. May be more but that's the noticeable differences that come to mind. A 3A frame, and a 3B are identical I believe. To use a 3B frame you will need a 3A or 3B front engine plate, add radiator mounts to the front crossmember, and do a little massaging to the right front fender to get clearance for the battery tray I believe. Or use a combination of parts.

Lee

Edited by Lee (MN) - 21 Oct. 2017 at 7:30pm
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 8:08pm
Thanks Lee, appreciate that info.
Allan Montile
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

To answer your question, Yes, with a bit of tweaking. What are the differences in frames, there are 2 styles of 2A frame, early (most common) and late (uncommon). A late 2A frame and a 3B are nearly the same except for the motor mounts, radiator mounts. an early 2A frame would have the same motor mount as the late 2A frame, ( different than a 3B), a slightly different battery tray than the 3B, a gusseted front bumper, and strapping added to the lower frame rail. May be more but that's the noticeable differences that come to mind. A 3A frame, and a 3B are identical I believe. To use a 3B frame you will need a 3A or 3B front engine plate, add radiator mounts to the front crossmember, and do a little massaging to the right front fender to get clearance for the battery tray I believe. Or use a combination of parts.

Lee

My build is on a 3B frame. The above is dead on. I would add the you need to modify the fenders to fit around the shock mounts of the 3B frame. The later frames have a larger mount. Also the inner fender, lower rear where it bolts to the chassis will need some modification if you want to keep that feature. I couldn't see, on mine, where the bolt holes lined up. I simply trimmed off that lower skirt portion. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 6:19am
Thanks Lee.
Allan Montile
 Post Reply Post Reply