Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better Brake Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 7:37pm
Rumor has it that excessive speeds and whooop-tee-whooos were likely contributing factors.Big smile 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 7:39pm
... yup, no brakes work unless your wheels are on the ground
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 8:20pm
Just a minute.  Brakes don’t work if the vehicle is air-born?  Wait till the USDOT catches wind of this.  LOL 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 8:25pm
I wasn't there for this incident, but I do know that the driver of that vehicle does not know what the middle pedal does. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

The 9" work fine, bigger is better, discs are better, power assisted is better....but what it came with works very well.

Just going back to my cave to have another mammoth sandwich.....

You must have one heck of a meat locker in your cave for all of that Mammoth meat. Gave out a belly laugh on your mammoth sandwich. Made my dayWink
Phil
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I wasn't there for this incident, but I do know that the driver of that vehicle does not know what the middle pedal does. 
... brakes? ..... where we're going, we don't need .... brakes. Good thing I was in a 2A. If that would have been a 3A, the jeep would be totaled .... eh Hawk?

Edited by jpet - 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:09pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:21pm
Me thinks there's more to this story than one foto allows.. spill it boys!!

Edited by RICKG - 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:23pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

sounds like jeeper50, Adrian, smfulle, and jpet are on the same page on this.

You can include me in that group too. I am in the middle of a brake job on Uncle Lynden's jeep now, and it's all going back stock, 9". On Black Bear Road, and all of the others we did this summer, my brakes were never a reason for me to worry.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:28pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:30pm
Sorry if somebody has posted this already but on the 9 inch brakes if you turn the drums you have to grind the shoes too since they arent bendix? That could be why some 9 inch brakes dont stop well because the shoes dont match the profile of the drum. Thats what i have heard. I have tracker front discs and cj5 self adjust bendix in the back and love them. I like it because you can buy all the parts at a chain auto parts store.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:27pm
[Q
UOTE=jpet]sounds like jeeper50, Adrian, smfulle, and jpet are on the same page on this. [/QUOTE]
And I guess you can ad binthere to the group Jeff.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 12:16am
Hopefully most of us know how to drive our Jeeps without breaking them. I was up at my neighbors property and we let the two guys from East Germany drive them. Huh, a German version of Rat Patrol happened but nothing got bent or broken. You could tell from their grins how much fun they had.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:07am
As most of you know by now I am upgrading everything on my Willys I can (or just about) Since one of my main areas of interest when I get my Chug done is being able to take long trips. While towing a small trailer. And around here we have things like 3 miles of 6% down hill grades(we also have some grades that are worse then that on brakes like Cabbage hill on interstate 84 loosing 2000ft in 6 miles with hairpin turns)  that the better your brakes are the better off you will be. Larger brakes do not heat up as much as smaller brakes. I'm even planing on having brakes on my trailer (which should not weigh more then 1500lbs)

I'm not suggesting anyone needs to change their brakes. But in my case a Brake upgrade is something I wouldn't think of doing without.

As has been said many times before everyone has a different idea of how they want their jeep. I applaud the guys who are working towards a 100 point restoration. I think the guys looking to return grandpas jeep to the trails complete with all its well earned patina are great. And guys like jpet and a few others who are looking to squeeze all the four wheel drive trail ability out of what they have is great too.

But to do what I want to do with my little Frankenstien Willys I need to to be able to compete with all those other 4 wheel morons out on the road. And having bigger brakes is one of the ways I hope to accomplish this.

Now you say BUT MARK why not disc's Well thats simple. In the Future of Chug there is going to be a front axle upgrade to either a cut down Dana 44 or a Dana 30. And that's the time I will move to Disc's 

And yes I know the roads in CO I have been on them many times since we first went over Berthoud Pass in 1969 when dad went in the ditch to get around a car that had stalled in front of us and he was sure he didn't want to stop the 65 Wagoneer on that section of road. And its roads just like that I want to be able to run my Chug on.

Edited by Mark W. - 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:10am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:15am
Don't know, saw a guy with a 3A in Moab this May. Had really beautiful 289 Shelby engine. I really had "engine envy". But there is still something about "old stuff". Heck, I'd probably swap for his 3A but....
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

As most of you know by now I am upgrading everything on my Willys I can (or just about) Since one of my main areas of interest when I get my Chug done is being able to take long trips. While towing a small trailer. And around here we have things like 3 miles of 6% down hill grades(we also have some grades that are worse then that on brakes like Cabbage hill on interstate 84 loosing 2000ft in 6 miles with hairpin turns)  that the better your brakes are the better off you will be. Larger brakes do not heat up as much as smaller brakes. I'm even planing on having brakes on my trailer (which should not weigh more then 1500lbs)

I'm not suggesting anyone needs to change their brakes. But in my case a Brake upgrade is something I wouldn't think of doing without.

As has been said many times before everyone has a different idea of how they want their jeep. I applaud the guys who are working towards a 100 point restoration. I think the guys looking to return grandpas jeep to the trails complete with all its well earned patina are great. And guys like jpet and a few others who are looking to squeeze all the four wheel drive trail ability out of what they have is great too.

But to do what I want to do with my little Frankenstien Willys I need to to be able to compete with all those other 4 wheel morons out on the road. And having bigger brakes is one of the ways I hope to accomplish this.

Now you say BUT MARK why not disc's Well thats simple. In the Future of Chug there is going to be a front axle upgrade to either a cut down Dana 44 or a Dana 30. And that's the time I will move to Disc's 

And yes I know the roads in CO I have been on them many times since we first went over Berthoud Pass in 1969 when dad went in the ditch to get around a car that had stalled in front of us and he was sure he didn't want to stop the 65 Wagoneer on that section of road. And its roads just like that I want to be able to run my Chug on.
Just a general comment but a lot of people don't know how to drive on passes.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:42am
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:37am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

If that would have been a 3A, the jeep would be totaled .... eh Hawk?

The only result of a 3A hitting that tree is a nice cord of wood for my fireplace.  Oh... And I might have to buff out the scuff on the bumper.Big smile
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 10:24am
I've had mixed results on my Jeeps with brakes. When you have a set of un- turned drums, life is much easier. I have a WW2 Jeep that they have turned the drums on and the brakes are very poor. It's needs shimmed up shoes or thicker linings because the lower adjusters will never bring the shoes out far enough to ever touch the drum. The early drums were behind the hub with the studs coming through and then swaged. I've also done the swap to 11 inch brakes and can say they are superior to 9 inch brakes. Like power brakes  Thumbs Up. Disc brakes are for sissys. Wink I've also had 9 inch shoes that were on the Jeep when I bought it and the previous owner installed them with the long lining wrong side. They were most likely Omix Ada and the linings were loose on the rivets. It pays to go to a shop that specializes in brakes and linings. I have to agree, when the 9 inchers are right, they work well. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 3:11pm
I put 11" brakes on mine because I put an overdrive on. Doing 40 with 9" brakes was not bad, doing 50 with them was another story!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>