Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is your fan shrouded?  What kind of radiator do you have? 

The fan is shrouded.  The radiator is not "common" LOL     Long story,  but the original '2A radiator (outlet modified for V6) suddenly became unusable.  Shortly after that, I was asked to pull a float in local parade.  So I needed to do something quick.    This was long before the Internet,  but I read somewhere in a magazine that a radiator for a particular small truck would work with 225 V6.  (I forget what that truck was).   I got one from local autoparts store, and it did fit fine.   It has worked very well for 20+ years,  (after adding a shroud) 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:52am
I can't believe I am still making "design" changes with only a little over a month away from Rubicon. Shocked

This week I have been trying to finalize the crossmember/skid-plate.   After wasting time with several different designs,  I decided on not using the original crossmember,  and instead modifying a CJ-7 belly-pan.   I got that close to mocked up,   THEN decided the transfercase was hanging too low.

Back in May at Willys Reunion,  I was discussing the config with Jpet,  and he urged me to raise everything.   When I got back home,  I decided that was too much work.  It would require modifying the exhaust,  all the shifter levers,  the custom clutch linkage bracket, rewelding the rearend spring perches,  and even the fan shroud mentioned above..

Today,  I think am going to do all that,  otherwise I probably will regret it.   Hopefully all goes quickly.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 4:54am
I made a little progress on the crossmember today.  If lucky, tomorrow (Saturday) I can get a lot more done.

The Flex-a-Lite fan arrived today.   Hopefully it will pull more air thru radiator, and keep the 225 cool.  Seems like it "should",   6 blades vs 4,  and more pitch  (not evident in photo)

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:27am
What are you running for coolant? As I recall, for summer use straight  demineralized water runs cooler than an anti-freeze mix. Also there is a product called "water wetter" that when added to the water, increases it's ability to transfer heat from the water to the radiator. These are things I learned with my Ford model T, which does not have a water pump to circulate the water. To circulate the water, it relies on the thermo-syphon principle only, so optimal heat transfer is required.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 1:19pm
I am running straight water for now.   Started out with that to make sure no leaks,  and in case I had to drain for any reason (like now LOL) . .  don't like the mess that antifreeze makes.

I was thinking of trying water wetter if the fan does not work. I have never used it before,  but have heard about it many times before.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:49pm
I am currently running a similar fan w/o shroud in front of my Dauntless.  Radiator is a Mustang, Thermostat is 165 * and no heat problems. Just got back from the Black Hills at 46 *. May have to go to 180 * thermostat for heater to be effective.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

I am currently running a similar fan w/o shroud in front of my Dauntless.  Radiator is a Mustang, Thermostat is 165 * and no heat problems. Just got back from the Black Hills at 46 *. May have to go to 180 * thermostat for heater to be effective.

46 Deg in late June!!   Shocked     How close to Alaska are the Black Hills?  LOL

I bought a 160 degree thermostat,  but still trying to decide whether to use it.   I am thinking air flow is more important than when the thermostat opens.

If this fan does not work,   my plan is to use a "Mustang" radiator.    Is yours a stock 2-core,  or an upgrade of some type?
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:41am
A few days ago,  I posted that I changed my mind about the crossmember,  and decided to try to tuck everything higher.  This has been very time-consuming,  but hopefully the end is in sight.

This is photo of Wilson today,   almost exactly one month away from leaving for Rubicon. Shocked    Need some more work on crossmember/skid plate,   and waiting for different spacer for fan  (needs a longer one than I had for stock fan). . .   PLUS a bunch of other things.   Need to find some time!!!

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:46am
I think you'll be really happy with everything tucked up higher. Good Luck.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:15am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I think you'll be really happy with everything tucked up higher. Good Luck.

I am sure you are right.  Smile     In the end,  with current plans,  it will be a whopping 1.25" higher than stock crossmember,   but that is stuffing a MUCH taller tranny up into tub.

Also,  will have a smoother "bellypan" for sliding across the rocks. 
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:52pm
SD is a long way from Alaska, but at 6000 ft and rain for 5 days, well, you get the picture. Enough to cancel the Black Hills Run
  The radiator I used is for a 289 Ford Mustang, Spectra B130 from Carquest. Assume it is a 2 core.
  I modified the mounting from the bottom cross member, to a side mount similar to a 3A. Works very well!
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

SD is a long way from Alaska, but at 6000 ft and rain for 5 days, well, you get the picture. Enough to cancel the Black Hills Run
  The radiator I used is for a 289 Ford Mustang, Spectra B130 from Carquest. Assume it is a 2 core.
  I modified the mounting from the bottom cross member, to a side mount similar to a 3A. Works very well!

I did not realize the event was at that high of altitude. Shocked

Did you cut anything from front crossmember to let radiator set lower in grill?    I think mine would flow better if lowered,  but I did not want to cut away anything.     The center of fan points at radiator about 1/3 of the way from bottom of radiator,    ie without the shroud,  the bottom of fan would not even be pulling air thru radiator.

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 3:21am
An alternate radiator is  a CU130 also from Spectra.  My fan is located just below the middle of the radiator.  My radiator is located as high as possible, hood just barely clears radiator cap, and is mounted just behind the cross member,  and extends just below the cross member.  If you need, I can get you radiator measurements.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 6:52am
This was a busy week at work,  so did not get much done during week,  but made some progress today.   The crossmember/skid-plate in mostly mocked up.  I am not planning to fully weld it up until I get a chance to try it out off-road.  I won't be banging on rocks etc.   but hoping to get full flex,  to make sure front driveshaft clears the new front belly-pan etc.

Another task out of way is cutting and re-welding the rear axle spring perches.   This was the 3rd time doing that.  Ouch    Currently it is set to 3 deg below straight,  but I decided to set it a little low,  with the thought that I will replace current old springs some day.    Cutting and rewelding is a pain.  From this point forward I may start using angled shims.  LOL    Since any future changes should only be minor adjustments,  if any.

The new fan is mocked in . .   Raising the back of the motor/tranny/xfer  required some changes to shroud. (the fan mount dropped down some).   I will finish the fan upgrade tomorrow hopefully.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:55am
Not much done in the past week, but hopefully can pick up the pace.  . . . Only a little over 2 weeks 'til Rubicon!!!

Yesterday and today,  after getting back from vacation,  I have been trying to drive Wilson as much as possible to work out any potential bugs.    Yesterday,  was a 15 mile round trip on 4-lane 60 mph highway.  I was a little dismayed that the temp gage got up to 195 on the return trip (on an uphill grade). 

Today,  I drove to work.   On the way, I picked up some "radiator flush" at local parts store.  Lunchtime,  I added the flush to radiator and took a drive,   including some minor off-roading with some slow, just-above-idle, climbs etc. . .  mid 80's outside temp,  so fairly warm.    Temp gage did not get much above 180.  Smile   . . .  The block and radiator have some miles behind them,  maybe a flush will help.  (I did not have the block "tanked" before "rebuilding"

Drove home . .  temps cool.    Took the same 60 mph loop as yesterday, and temps never got much above 180, even on the hill in higher outside temp . . .  so either the flush fluid is cleaning things out or acting like "water wetter"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:08am
ON ROAD . .   I am beginning to really like the new setup.   At first I did not like the big gap between gears,  but getting used to it.

This setup is SO much quieter than before.   It is much more enjoyable driving around on the road with the Dana 300  (straight connection to rear axle) and 3.73 gears (low engine rpm)

OFF ROAD . .  remains to be tested,  but 69:1 is nice  . .   compared to previous low-low of 37:1
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:53pm
Ron - it sounds like you've built quite a nice rig, very cool.  Hope to see it on Saturday at Richard's antique jeep cookout! 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:25am
Today was an adventure in the saga of getting Wilson ready for Rubicon.

To back up a little on the "overheating" issue.   I was hoping to never see the temp gage above 180,  but maybe that is unrealistic.   I have run two bottles of "radiator flush" thru the engine.  The first one generated an unbelievable amount of "rust" when I backflushed (hooked garden hose to port on rear of intake,  and created "old faithful" out the top of radiator (where the cap attaches).    The second flush still had some rust,  but near as bad.   In both of these flushes,  I ran the solution in the engine approx. 30-40 minutes each (driving).     After the 2nd bottle,  I  ran and flushed 2 more times with only water,  to clean out all the solution.   The water was coming out clean.  So decided it was time to add the "water wetter"

In today's test,  92 degree temp,  putting around in the woods, climbing over fallen trees, getting stuck . . trying some inclines,  getting stuck,  then adding locker to get free etc. . .  almost all of this at idle or barely above.   The temps would get up to 195 or so.  I never could get it to hit 200,  which is slight improvement from before.  Not sure if this improvement is the flush, or the water wetter,  but have to admit,  I am disappointed I did not get "up to 20 degrees cooler" as advertised.  haha

How hot is "too hot"?   Maybe things are not so bad,  considering the stock thermostat for these engines is 195. 

In this testing,  it mainly heats up at idle,  under load,  moving very slowly.   If the rpm is brought up,  or start moving a little faster, the temps will drop.

On to the "adventure".   I drove Wilson to work today,  (the testing above was at lunchtime).    After finishing my heat tests I was heading back to the plant.   I was doing some high throttle "launches" in the dirt to see if the limited-slip would generate a fish-tail,  or simply spin one tire.   Happy to report, that it always spun both.Smile    It was running great until I hit a bump and then it started running crappy, and would not idle.    It stalled out.     I found I could start it,  and drive back to the plant, if I kept it at higher rpms.

I parked it to finish day at work.   Towards the end of the day,  my wife sent message that it was raining at home.   WTH  the weather forecast was for 15% chance of rain when I left in the morning.   Checked weather map,  and it looked like the rain would be ending for short period,  then a huge thunder boomer was approaching.  I thought about trying to beat the storm,  but when I tried to leave,  Wilson was still running crappy.  No way I was driving home risking that it would konk-out totally,  have the storm overtake us.   Caught a ride home, in middle of storm,   and had to go back later with trailer, after the rain,  to rescue Wilson. 

In pulling Wilson on trailer,  and at home,  it was still running like crap.  Ouch   Seemed to be flooding  . .   I pulled the top off carb,  and found a TINY piece of something in the float needle.   Amazing how something so small can disable a vehicle.  Confused

Hope the rest of the week goes smoother.

Edited by JeepFever - 17 July 2018 at 9:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>