Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 "The Moose"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 11:42pm
How she sits now:

Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 11:47am
Is the Omix-ada stuff no good? I got a bellcrank pivot pin kit and put it in and the bellcrank still wobbles a ton. Bearings fit well, and center bushing fit OK, pivot pin also seemed to fit OK... but there is till wobble between the pin and bellcrank. maybe I'm expecting it to be better than it is?

Yes, overdrive was nice but it was a financial decision. This project cant absorb too much $$. trying to get it rolling on a budget.

Marco
1951 M38
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 12:05pm
Looks like you are well on the way to having a cool Jeep.

Back when my kids were young I had an old IH Scout that they named "Moose" and my son found a plastic moose head he glued to the hood like a hood ornament. At that time I also had a M38 half way through mechanical restoration. I wish I still had that M38. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2023 at 9:48am
Finally got the steering bolted up. The tie rod ends in front felt surprisingly tight so I’m reusing them for now.. The drag link still had good parts in it so I just took it apart and cleaned it. The new pitman arm also fits the splines on the box tightly which is nice. Again the bell crank is kinda wobbly still but it’ll do to get the ole moose on the trail for now. Easy to upgrade the parts later to tighten it up. 

Got the new master cylinder bench bled and ready to go in but quadratec still hasn’t shippped a new tee that goes on it. Showed in stock when I ordered but they seem to drop ship a lot so who knows. 

Marco
1951 M38
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 3:29am
Originally posted by rover67 rover67 wrote:

Is the Omix-ada stuff no good?

I'd look elsewhere for safety-related items...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 4:52pm
OK, so what i'm hearing is Omix-ADA is junk?

Anyhow, I will say Quadratec (who I have ordered some parts from) has been miserable to work with. They can't seem to get their stuff straight, been waiting on a brake line tee for like 3 weeks now. It seems liek they are drop shipping all of the parts i need which adds complexity.

Who should I be sourcing parts from?
Marco
1951 M38
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 5:12pm

Dont forget the two copper washers that go with it (not included).
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123