Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Father son project cj2/3
    Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:11am
I just picked up a new project. My hope is to instill some of my passion for jeeps within my 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter. They are both really excited to build a jeep with dad. I bought this basket case. The title says 1950, and the owner said its a 3a but it has a lot of 2a parts.... but the tub and frame appear to be 3a.... but who cares! I like it. It came with a solid frame, decent tub, and a massive amount of spare parts, axles, etc. It is missing a few things, but I should be able to build a jeep with everything I have laying around. The poor thing had a lot of work done to is and some expensive parts purchased but never installed. But it also sat outside at some point because the intake was full of water. I spent hours pulling the head and intake/exhaust manifold. I got it all cleaned out.... cylinders were fine intake was a mess. no water in oil.... but some of the valve guides and springs had rust on them. Anyway... 15 hours later she fired right up! Sounded good but smoked when you rev it. Once I freed up a sticky valve compression was good. only about 5-7psi difference between cylinders average. 110psi. not great, but enough for now. Im about 1 week into it so far and have made some progress. It came with teraflex shackles... I took them off and put stock on. I also worked at cleaning up and painting the areas of the frame where the shackle hangers are... the owner said he had the frame "restored" but they just painted over rust in some areas so I have been working at that. It is very solid. The only area that needed fixed was the corners of the rear cross member.  I am just patching those areas... the rest of the frame is good. The rear bumper was also just tacked on so I am making some better mounting plates so I can run a pintle or factory draw bar. The jeep came with brand new seat cushions, but no frames. I found a crusty set of frames for $50 locally. They are gross but better than spending $450 for a new set. Sorry to drag on but you are up to speed now. I will try to post updates as they come. :)    

The jeep has cutlas hubs, lock-rites F&R, 5.38, and a L-head from a 2a, t90/spicer18.  34x9 swampers.

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:12am
Here is a video of it running...

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 2:04am
Love it and love your helper.
I see you  joined up here a year ago so you must have been looking for a while. Technically a basket case, but you are miles ahead of a lot of us when we started out.
 Nice find.
Welcome  aboard.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:10am
Thanks! Yes, I joined last year when my dad bought his 47 2a.... Ive done a lot of the mechanical work on it for him so lurking on this forum has been a big help. Ive been into jeeps for a long time. I built my cj5 when I was a teenager.... (still drive it almost everyday)  But have always been keeping an eye out for a flat fender. Finally got one! 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:15am
Good luck with it. Our old MB was supposed to be a father sons project and I did all of the work. Our father just grinned when he drove it but at least he put fuel in it when he was done.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 6:01am
Welded some of the plates in tonight... 

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:51pm
Looking good already! Sheetmetal looks clean too. Lucky you! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 2:15pm
Hi Millennium Falcon, congrats on your project, I can see you know your way around jeeps. A wonderful adventure and something your son will never forget as you work on your Cj2a build, together. You are very lucky being in the USA with the wealth of contacts, components and availability of everything. Thanks for the video and pictures. Regards Allan
Allan Montile
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Looking good already! Sheetmetal looks clean too. Lucky you! 
X2 on that, just wanted to add 110psi compression is excellent I think new stock is 115psi. Joe Wadoyado   Went back and checked manual 111 psi. at 185 rpm's, so that 110 psi is like new. Joe

Edited by wadoyado - 21 Nov. 2017 at 1:42pm
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 11:27pm
Thanks guys! I am making progress. Im almost done with the chassis, then on to the body. I would like to get the body on the frame in the next two weeks or so. I was happy with the compression readings as well. (1)-106, (2)-105, (3)-110, (4)-108. It sounds pretty good too, but it does let out a puff of blue smoke when you blip the throttle. If I hold it at a given RPM the smoke clears up. Opinions on causes? Rings? Valve guides? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:54pm
Does anyone have the hole size and location for the PTO hole in the rear bumper? 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 5:31pm
Congratulations on the project!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Does anyone have the hole size and location for the PTO hole in the rear bumper?

Run a line down the centers of the two leftmost holes for the pintle hook.  At 3-1/4" left of that line and 2-1/2" below a line across the two bottom pintle hook holes should be the center of your 1-1/2" PTO hole.  That's what I measured on two frames.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:48am
Great! Thank you so much!
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:27am
Nice work and a heck of a good start! Despite the gross seat frames! Lol
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 3:29am
That is a great looking project.  Are those original springs that had the revolver shackles?  I’m curious if that is how the PO got the 34” tires to work.  I love the 34x9 tires; that’s what I run.  

Great looking welds!

Welcome aboard!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Doodledad Doodledad wrote:

Nice work and a heck of a good start! Despite the gross seat frames! Lol

Haha dude, they are gross. You should see the back of my car. on the ride home all the rust and mouse poop rattled out of them! my wife got in my car today and said...."what is that smell" and this time, it wasnt me! haha. Seriously though, thanks for hooking me up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 3:46am
Thanks Rick! I saw your jeep on Youtube after looking up these tires! Very nice rig you have there! How does it run with those big tires? Im assuming you have 5.38's and an L-head??  The revolver shackles were on aftermarket springs when I got the jeep so It sat pretty high. I dont think they ever drove it with them on there. I put stock shackles back on it and that lowered it about 1.5" The springs are beyond stiff and It still sits higher than I want so I will likely be removing a leaf or two. Im not sure what springs are on it. They are stiff... they look new, and they have a decent arch to them. They are military wrap and accepted the stock c-shackles with no issues. I also have a new set of stock springs, but they wont be high enough to run the swampers.... so I guess I need to decide if I should keep these tires, or sell them and buy something closer to stock size??? I really do love the look of the swampers. Hmmm....decisions! 

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

That is a great looking project.  Are those original springs that had the revolver shackles?  I’m curious if that is how the PO got the 34” tires to work.  I love the 34x9 tires; that’s what I run.  

Great looking welds!

Welcome aboard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>