Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:25pm
Outstanding work!
  What an inspiration, on fixing sheet metal!
  Thanks for posting pics. 

You had asked about correct dash holes and location,
  I know I’ve seen posts showing pics for all correct holes. 
 I’m not smart enough to post a link, but you should be able to find what your looking for, doing a search. 

Also in the picture of your pedals, well done cutting new holes. 
I noticed the pedals are switched in your pic, you want to be able to slide your foot off the brake and onto the gas pedal. 
Or in some off road situations run the gas and brake with one foot. 
Not a big deal and you can use them either way. 
I had mine like in your pic,because I thought well I don’t want my foot to slip and hit the throttle, but later switched them. 

Merry Christmas 
And happy jeeping. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 10:20pm
Thank you! It has been a fun learning experience. Thanks for the heads up on the pedals. I just stuck them in there to mock up for the holes, but I was wondering where which way they went. What you said make sense about the ridges being in towards the steering column. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 9:05pm
Thanks to LeeCarr for the dimensions. I made a Ghetto e-brake spring holder. Its not exactly the same as the original, but it will do the job just fine. I keep remembering little things that need done.... Then I worked some more on the trans tunnel cover. Man, I have wasted way to much time on this thing. I had to change the opening, then I had to weld and re-drill the holes. The floor was a slightly different angle than the cover so I cut a wedge out of it and re-welded it at the correct angle. I Scored a front driveshaft from my dad too! Im getting there! My problem now is that the tub is ready too prime and some of the bare metal areas are showing some new corrosion already. Its way to cold to paint at the moment. Its going to hit single digits at night the rest of the week. My heater in the shop cant keep it warm enough to paint when the exhaust fans are on and its that cold out. I may have to rattle can the bare spots to keep them from rusting until it gets warm enough to paint. 

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2017 at 9:34pm
Looking good. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2017 at 3:48am
Align that drive shaft, too.  Try temporary portable heat (propane torch? hair dryer?) to warm up the rusty spots prior to rattle can paint.  It couldn't hurt.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2017 at 5:28am
I will make sure its in phase before I install it... thats  how it was when I got it. I learned my lesson on that years ago. "what is that vibration!"  haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2017 at 12:21am
Mail Call! Now I have all my rings and boots. I also stopped at PPG.... Its looking like a blue. More details to come. (as long as the kids approve!) 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 4:59am
Oooh, Dad, I vote for blue!!!  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yeah, me too!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 12:26pm
At this rate Seth you will have time to complete another one for the wife before spring... Looks awesome bro!
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 1:08pm
Normandy Blue!
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks guys! Progress has been going well up to this point.....the weather is really slowing me down. Its been 5-20 degrees around here lately and even with the wood stove in the shop its been really tough to work in the shop. This cold snap needs to end before I can even think about painting. I found a blue I really like. Its not Normandy blue but it is similar. I like to be different haha! I will post a picture 
once I spray a little.... I will keep you posted.  

Edited by Millennium falcon - 29 Dec. 2017 at 3:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 3:32pm
Rick, I've been meaning to ask you.... Do you run wheel spacers? Also, Are you running any steering or brake modifications? One more thing......Did you have to modify your driveshafts at all? My stock length rear shaft is too short for the lift my jeep has. My plan is to lower it about two inches and hopefully the shafts fit then. Just not sure about these tires/lift yet. What are your thoughts based on your experience? Thanks! 

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yeah, me too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 1:07am
Its been a few days... Much like the rest of the country its FREAKING COLD OUTSIDE! So I havent really felt like working in the garage. its been around 3 degrees in the morning with a high around 10-15.  But, it has been killing me not to be working on the jeep. So I came up with some things I can work on in the basement. I made some hood blocks out of oak. I only had one and it was crusty. I used that as a template. They turned out decent. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZPRZt7APc

So that took about an hour.....I need MORE! I have been wanting to re-seal/inspect my Trans/t-case. The previous owner supposedly “went through” them. So I’m not sure what I’m going to find. My plan is just to clean them up...installed new seals, and repaint them. The transmission had a lot of moisture in it so I will have to see how everything looks. It will be an easy job since my tub is off. It was around 5 degrees when I went out to pull the drain plug. I am doing the work in my nice warm basement, but I needed the oil out. So here is nasty old gear oil with lots of moisture in it at 5 degrees. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA3x8OBvqSI

Once I finally got all the goop out, I brought the t-case inside and rigged it up on my engine stand. I will dive into that later tonight. I have all new seals for it. I will give it a good once over and make sure there are no major issue. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 02 Jan. 2018 at 1:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 1:25am
I cant get my videos to post to the page so you will have to copy/paste them... sorry. :( 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 5:38am
Tear down went pretty smoothly. The PO already remove the interlock pill so removing the front bearing retainer was easy.  This transfer case did have new seals installed at some point. It looks like they were beat into place with an extension or something instead of something that would apply even pressure. Im  surprised it didn't leak before. I had to stop because the intermediate shaft needed to soak in some Penetrating. I did find the top of the intermediate gear had 3 rusted teeth that must have been exposed.  I have a few good gears laying around.  So far the rest of it looks fine. 

BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 11:13am
What a good idea to use your engine stand, those cases are so awkward to work with. Once I get my 225 reassembled im going to move on to my case. I am definitely stealing your idea!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 3:58pm
x2 on the engine stand!!!
Great idea. 

Wow that seal is hammered! Ha ha

Thanks for the pics 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170