Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 11:09am
Looking good! Damn you work fast! Looking forward to color shots. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 1:55pm
Nothing better than a father son project like this.  It builds character for him, teaches him to use his hands, and he will make priceless memories with Dad.  And if you guys are lucky it will be something that perhaps he and his son can refurbish in 40 to 50 years or so too.
These jeeps will literally go on forever if the parts do.  Keep a great scrap book and notes and Jeep On!

cj2ajim
'46  s/n 50673
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 6:00pm
Thanks guys! Im getting excited to see some color too! Yes, I hope my kids remember these times and take something away from it. And I would love to see this jeep get passed on and enjoyed by their kids some day. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 12:23am
The weather was in my favor today. 45 degrees and the sun started peeking out. I warmed up the shop, and started prepping. I had to seal the seams and scuff the primer. By the time I finished that the garage was up to 70f. I did 4 coats on the floor and 3 on everything else. Paint turned out good! I also finished the wheels while I had the shop warmed up. As soon as the tires get here I will put them on....but until then I had to see how the wheels look with the color. I love it! Im very pleased. Now I have a million small pieces to clean and paint and start bolting stuff to the tub (once the paint cures)

I know how you guys like pictures.....so I took a bunch! 

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 1:41am
Looks great, love the colors. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 10:35am
Looks fantastic! I really like the color combo. Very nice. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 2:59am
Be sure to put a pinstripe on the wheels so it doesn't look like a VW.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:45am
looks awesome 
Thanks for all the pics 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 6:21am
THanks! Im glad you like it! 

Today I just cleaned and painted some small misc parts. Then I went to the hardware store.

The wood stove works great to help paint dry. "sorry honey, I dont know where that smell is coming from"

This is what $26 looks like in case you were wondering. 

I got a bunch of stainless hardware to install the little parts.

Toolbox lid painted and installed.

I even found and reused the old canvas steering column wrap! 

So here is my current problem. The tub bolts are ail in but loose, the tube is centered on the frame, but the steering column doesnt line up in the tub. I can push it to the side enough to get the steering wheel on, but Im guessing it should be perfectly centered. I can slide the tub over but then it until its centered but then the tub will be off center. 

You can see in this picture how the shaft favors the right side of the tube. 

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 1:53pm
Looks really good!! I can definitely tell you do not sleep much.. You have been progressing so fast.

Is that a Ford Gray like you would see on an old 2N (the darker shade gray)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 2:35pm
Thanks! Its actually more of a blue "dove blue" VW color. The camera on my phone makes it look really grey in the shop. I will get some daylight photos once the wheels are on and I can roll it outside. 

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Looks really good!! I can definitely tell you do not sleep much.. You have been progressing so fast.

Is that a Ford Gray like you would see on an old 2N (the darker shade gray)?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:39pm
You're missing the bearing at the top of the steering tube.  But even with that installed, I wonder if the  steering shaft is just bent a little bit?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:44pm
I have the bearing it’s just not installed. I put a straight edge on the shaft it appeares to be perfect. Also it doesn’t wobble when I turn the front wheels. If I slide the tub 3/4” to the right the shaft is in the middle of the tube.....but then my tub is off center and my body mounts and trans opening is off. I didn’t notice this when I fitted the body because I never installed the body mount bolts and the steering column bracket at the same time. That was a mistake, but I really don’t know what I would have done to correct it. Hmmmm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 4:59pm
Ah Yes, Looks Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 6:29pm
Is the surface of the tube that attaches at the top of the steering gear box is not "square"?   You could try loosening the three bolts and lower clamp, center up the shaft, install the bearing then tighten the clamp and bolts back up.

The steering gear box was also originally shimmed between the box and the frame...to adjust the overall steering assembly angle.  Not sure this is related to your problem though.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 6:56pm
I like athawk11's idea of shimming out the steering gear box.  A few washers between the frame and the steering box just might fix the positioning issue.  I wonder if you turn the steering shaft, if it remains on the left.  If it does the washer / shim idea might work.  If the steering shaft moves when turned something is bent or something is missing in the assembly most probably.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 10:16pm
thanks guys! The shimming idea helped me because it made me look at my steering box mount... There was a washer someone else had used to shim the box before. I took that out, loosened all the mounting bolts and the column mount bolts on the dash. I wiggled everything thing around then re-tightened everything and centered the tub. Now it is only slightly off center in the column tube, and can be easily moved to center with one finger. Major improvement. I dont believe the shaft is bent. It stays in one spot when it spins.  

I installed the bearing. Not impressed with the quality or construction of this piece, but it seems to do the job. 

Spring in place

I put the wheel on to test everything. It seems fine. I am surprised how snug the wheel is on the tube. The previous owner put POR-15 or something on the tube so the ID is probably a little bigger than normal. 

I didn't put the wheel on very far because I didn't want it to get stuck on there. 

Once I got the column sorted out I started on my pedals. I didnt feel like spending the money on a pedal seal kit, so I made one. 

It works..and it was free. I had some springs i my spring box and I used the same rubber that I made my body mounts out of. 

I also finished my t-case lever pin access hole. I made it nice and big so I have room to work. 

I think that is it for today! 
Tires shipment was held up by weather so hopefully they get here tomorrow. 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 3:37am
athawk11 said: "The steering gear box was also originally shimmed between the box and the frame...to adjust the overall steering assembly angle."
  Tim is right, as you have found out. Now you need to complete the job, you're half-way there. You need some more shim. Any mis-alignment of the shaft will cause undue wear on that "un-impressive" upper bearing, and on the two ball bearings in the box. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>