Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:24am
Thank you all for taking time to read this and give me advice! Im learning something new everyday! 

So do I tweak it until the shaft rests perfectly in the enter of the tube? How to I check this now that the top bearing has been pressed in? It was a rather snug fit? I know which way it needs to go, but I will just be guessing on how much shim will be needed since I cant see shaft move inside the tube. Would removing the dash mounting bracket and shimming until the tube and shaft fall perfectly in the mount suffice? 

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

athawk11 said: "The steering gear box was also originally shimmed between the box and the frame...to adjust the overall steering assembly angle."
  Tim is right, as you have found out. Now you need to complete the job, you're half-way there. You need some more shim. Any mis-alignment of the shaft will cause undue wear on that "un-impressive" upper bearing, and on the two ball bearings in the box. BW
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:15am
"Would removing the dash mounting bracket and shimming until the tube and shaft fall perfectly in the mount suffice?"

Thumbs Up  That's the way I do it. Smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 8:49pm
Its Christmas! Tires came today! I think they look pretty good! Cooper Discovery STT PRO 215/85-16. They measure just over 30" and 7.5" wide. (not on wheel) They weigh 43lbs. The tread looks nice and open with siping and cool mud release groves. I think they will work well. Hopefully get them on the rims in the next few days. 

I also mounted my tail lights. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 26 Jan. 2018 at 3:09am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:04pm
making great progress Seth!  I like those tires, too. 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 12:17am
Today is the last of the warmish weather in the forecast so I tried to finish up the paint.Tailgate and windshield prepped.. 

Primed....

CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 2:04am
Your progress is like watching a film on fast forward. Taken us 18 months to get where you are now. Great effort and beautiful work!!! 
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 4:46am
Thanks! I give full credit to my wife! She has been awesome! She understands i have a disease and will not be better until this jeep is done. She gives me lots of garage time. :) 

Top coat is done.... all thats left is the front end. I probably wont do that until the engine work is done. If I painted the fenders and stuff and let them sit around I know they will get dropped/scratched or something. I dont have a good place to store finished body parts. 
My windshield frame was rust-free, but had a garage fall on it at some point and it was smashed...... So I straightened it... it the process I go some stretched sheet metal on the front of the frame. It was oil-canning pretty bad in two spots.  torch and hammer/dolly and I did my best to shrink it. I decided to forgo bondo filler and just get it as smooth as possible....sand, and then paint it. And hammer marks left will remind me of how much of a pain it was, and my victory over sheetmetal! haha! 

Sorry i find it hard to photograph the paint at night in the garage. I will get some daylight shots at some point. 

I tell you what I have painted a bunch of stuff over the years and this jeep has been a challenge. So many nooks and bends, and stuff. It was tough to get every edge. Had to go heavy enough to not get orange peel, but light enough to avoid runs. I was challenging. I am also used to base/clear. I find that more forgiving than this single stage urethane. I like how it turned out, but It was trying at times....especially on these pieces. I know hanging them vertical doesn't help bu that made the process go faster. :) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:34am
My friend mounted the tires for me today. I botled them on to take a few photos. I love the look of them! Im happy with the size as well. I also stuck the tailgate on to snap some pictures. 

All loaded up in the wagon....I fit all of them in there! 

Here it is! The axles are on jack stands so this is how it it will sit once I lower it. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:41am
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 3:52am
Dude, that is looking awesome!
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
freefall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 4:15am
Looks fantastic !
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 5:31am
Your tail gate is in much better shape than mine was. It took me several days to get it back to acceptable. I don't remember how many holes I had to weld up and get everything back to a good condition. I did pound a section of black iron pipe through the top of it to take out the bend and prevent it from being bent again.
uncamonkey
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 11:14am
Nice color combo sir! Can’t wait to to see her out in the sun! All that work and you prob barely broke a sweat! You got so much done in a short period in the coldest months..... that my friend is determination.  That dude and place mounting your tires looks awful familiar... 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 12:20pm
Wow....just wow Seth! Nice choice in tires. Those are high on the list for my JK in the spring. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:58pm
Thanks guys! Yes I lucked out on the tailgate It was the only piece of sheet metal that didn't need anything other than strip/sand. 

I hope these tires work as good as they look. I spent a lot of time on-line researching trying to find the best tire/price hopefully it pays off. 

Doodledad: Yeah my tire guy makes my tires look "tiny" haha! 
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 3:20pm
hahahaha nice pun Seth
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 3:46pm
Your progress is faster than what my computer will upload all of your pics! Nice work on the Jeep and the documentation of rebuilding it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 9:50pm
It got really cold again so I havent made too much progress. I did install the inner windshield frame weather stripping. It was a pain but I was able to install it in one piece. I lubed it up and pushed it into the groove with my wifes pampered chef dish scraper thingy... I tried sliding it in the groove but that wasnt happening. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 10:07pm
I need some advice. Now that the weather stripping is in place the windshield wont close all the way. Its almost like its down to far. Is the upper hinge supposed to be bent up farther? It doesn't close far enough to allow the latch to engage. I think if the frame could be raised in the opening a little bit that would fix the problem. Just trying ti figure out before I start messing with/ bending it.  I did test fit this before I painted it, but the weather stripping wasnt in there, and it would close all the way. Not so much now that the rubber is there. Do you think if I bend the upper hinge on the out frame that would solve the problem? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 36>