Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 12:21am
Almost forgot...be sure to teach your son good, safe work habits...as the twig is bent so grows the tree. You are getting to share something with him that will make an impression on him for a lifetime. It doesn't get much better than that.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 12:47am
Yes, I have really been trying to teach him to be safe and do things right. I feel like I have slowly gotten much better at this over the years. I still have a long way to go. I have found over the years that using the right tools and safety equipment leads to better results. 
This may seem silly, but if I stop every hour or so to sweep the floor and roll up air/electric cords i am in a much better mood and things just turn out better. I HATE stepping of grit/rust and tripping over cords! 
Yes, the scout was tough to find parts for and there was a lot of sheet metal to fix. I wish I had finished it. Anyway......back on track.   I am leaning towards the get it on the road direction. My thought is to remove the sheet metal screws, fix the "tin snip" jagged edges they left.... properly weld the seams, then move on to fixing the few rusty areas. I also may need to cut the entire driver side rear panel loose so I can get it flush with the rear valance piece. Not looking forward to that. I was thinking about cutting out all of the existing patches and repairing them/sealing them correctly, but I think that is an endless road I better not go down. 
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 4:04am
Sounds like your on the right track, fix the small issues then drive it. 
Once you start removing metal next thing you know, you have a lot of work to do!
Good luck 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 7:41pm
Started repairs on the tub today. The only real "rusted out" portion on the tub is the passenger side wheel well. It was a lot of cutting and grinding to get rid of all of the only welds and stuff without digging into the "good" metal. I managed to get the old panel out and make a template and a new panel. I really tried to take my time getting everything straight and tight. It welded up without to much drama. Its looking better all ready. I still need to order a new tool box and weld it in. I also need to fix or replace the brace between the side panel and wheel well. But other than that there isnt much to do to the inside of the tub. Tonight I will flip it and start cleaning up and fitting the seams so they can be welded... and yes I will be removing all the sheet metal screws haha! I also repaired the smashed portion of the firewall gutter from when they had F-head in it. 

Before, 

Rust removed.

template 

The real deal... 

All welded up. 

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 12:58am
Oh wow that’s a nice looking panel you make. 
Grand workClap
freefall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 1:22pm
Nice job.
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 2:04pm
Sweet patch work bro! Your a mad man on this CJ! 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 5:44am
Thanks guys! Im doing my best. Sheet metal work isnt one of my strengths. I am preparing for battle to liberate this tub from the aftermath Bubba left behind! 

Gathered some supplies. 

I had a friend help me flip the tub over to do some work. 

I really dont know what was going on here..... Possibly a mixture of alcohol and tin snips? 

Close enough! haha

Not sure what the point of this was... 3/8" step isnt even noticeable from 50 feet away!

A sheet metal screw every foot or so should suffice!  I guess I should be thankful they didnt weld it in. Im not impressed with the welding I have seen of this jeep. 

freefall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 12:44pm
Hang in there, 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 2:42pm
Get as many of these as you can. 

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 3:04pm
Yeup, I have several of varying sizes I bought for doing body work on the Jeep. The neighbor kid borrowed them about a year ago and they are still hanging on the wall in the garage. I suppose his hind footy paws don't work and he can't bring them back along with a few other tools...
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 3:38pm
I will try to squeeze some vise-grip clamps into the budget.... In the mean time, clamps will have to do. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 4:24pm
Drill point sheet metal screws are handy to hold things together (not permanent though).
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

I will try to squeeze some vise-grip clamps into the budget.... In the mean time, clamps will have to do. 

Harbor Freight is a good place to buy this stuff that you don't use that much. 
They have all kinds of vise grip clamps. Here's one type.

Also, they carry these little clamps that I found to be very handy for sheet metal seems.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Yeup, I have several of varying sizes I bought for doing body work on the Jeep. The neighbor kid borrowed them about a year ago and they are still hanging on the wall in the garage. I suppose his hind footy paws don't work and he can't bring them back along with a few other tools...

IF he ever forgot to bring back any of my tools, he sure as heck would not get ahold of any more to "forget" to bring back.
 What was it we used to say....  "You screw me once, shame on you, you screw me twice, shame on ME"  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 9:20pm
You never know. A few years ago another neighbor kid wanted to borrow my deep metric sockets. I really didn't like the kid but 2 days later he brought them back all nice and clean. I suppose his father did bring him up right.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 5:41am
I started welding some of the seams tonight. 

freefall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 11:11am
Moving right along!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>