Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38A1 transmission & Transfer Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38A1 transmission & Transfer Case
    Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 10:33pm
Is there any notable difference between this transmission & TC that I think came out of an M38A1, compared to those in a CJ2A? This one was obviously mated to a V8 at some point. I'm just wondering if i should make an offer on it just to have some spare parts. Your thoughts? What would be a fair offer? Thanks.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 10:41pm
Doesent look A-1, the A-1 has a different parking brake, shift lever would be held on by a threaded retainer, can't tell from the photo but the t/c pivot would be a threaded bolt not a pin!. Looks civilian to me, not to say it's not built from different sources.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 10:55pm
Thanks Lee. I may be wrong. The same guy is selling an M38A1 tub, so I speculated that it was the same. Here is another view.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 11:10pm
My experience with a T90 that had been mated to a 350 is that I had to rebuild it to use it.  It was a T90A and is now a T90C.  Novak was the source for the parts. 

It is now working well behind a pinto engine.  It took all the bearings and most of the gears to get it working.

Just my limited experience with a T90.

Tom 

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 1:28am
If it's been stored outside for very long, it'll be full of water and rust. Rain water will run down the shift cane and right inside.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 11:40am
Outside storage does concern me. But I think he's had a tarp over it.  I'm just thinking that if it could be had cheaply, it would be good to grab for parts or to rebuild and have on the shelf.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 1:08pm
If the seller is willing, remove the top and look in.  Rusted gear clusters and parts aren’t worth the time unless you just need a case or if the if the price is right.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:16pm
He says I can remove the top and check it out.  Will probably go over on Saturday.  I've not pulled one of these apart before. Is it just a matter of removing the 6 bolts and lifting off the shift tower?  

Looks like I'll have to remove it from the bell housing too. Its in a frame that looks to be sitting on concrete. Any tips for removing the assembly with damage?  Anything else to look for?

Thanks,
Steve
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:27pm
  Yes, just unbolt the top and lift it off.
  Support the engine, even raise it just a bit, as it will have no rear support when you unbolt the transmission. Unbolt the transmission and transfer case mounts from the crossmember, unbolt the T-90-to-GM adapter from the bellhousing or the transmission from the adapter and pull it away from the engine. Don't forget to disconnect the speedometer cable if it has one. Make sure you get the adapter with it. This transmission will have the long input shaft to work with the adapter, and the two should stay together.  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:29pm

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 10:05pm
Thanks Bruce!
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 1:38pm
couple more things you can do quick and easy...
1..run through the shifting pattern....
2..remove drain plug..see what comes out...
3..and pop off the top end...

Hard part is done...looks to be an easy pull,,if salvageable...and if price is right 
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 4:29pm
Thanks guys, good tips indeed. I offered $75 for the Transmission and TC if they are not rusted or busted. Seller said ok, so I'll go over on Saturday and check them out.  He offered me the motor and frame also for the same price if I wanted, but I declined those.

Edited by ndnchf - 05 Dec. 2017 at 4:31pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 6:42pm
If not rusted or busted, that's a good buy.  BW

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 3:01am
Is that a V-8 or a V-6?  If it's a Buick V-6 (as it appears from what I can see) I'd snag that in a New York minute.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is that a V-8 or a V-6?  If it's a Buick V-6 (as it appears from what I can see) I'd snag that in a New York minute.

That does look like a Buick V-6 to me as well. If it is, I would own that set up right now. $150 for the engine, bell housing, & gear boxes? All this for less than the bell housing alone? Yes sir, every day!

I do wonder what is up with the empty water bottles on the shifter canes? They would not keep water out of the gear boxes.

In any case I will recommend that you buy it all.

Edited by cpt logger - 06 Dec. 2017 at 7:05am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:17am
He said it was a V-6, but I didn't ask which one. He says it came out of a 53-54 CJ, not an M38A1 as I surmised. It looks like he's parting out a couple of jeeps. The water bottles seem odd, maybe they are to keep his dog from poking an eye out ;-)

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:30am
Here is a photo of the motor. Maybe you guys can make a positive ID. I was just going to get the trans and TC to put away for spares, I don't really need or have the storage space for the whole thing.  But he said what I don't take will probably go to the scrappers, so maybe I should get it - frame and all...

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 12:26pm
I'm guessing that's the Buick 225.  Not absolutely certain though.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>