Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38A1 transmission & Transfer Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 9:18pm
Yes, a Dauntless Buick V-6. Probably out of an early 1960s Jeep CJ-5.

Please save all of it from the scrappers! Get the frame section as well. You could then sell what you do not want on this site. Either list it in the For Sale area, or use my favorite, The Trading Post. That way you get something you will use and so does your trading partner. Win, win!

Oh, after sleeping on it, I think I figured out what the water bottles were for. If it was under a tarp, they were to keep the canes from poking a hole or three in said tarp. Now that is a good idea, I will probably use it at some time in the future.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:36pm
I'll ask him about the condition and history of the motor. If he knows it was a runner before being parted out, thats a plus. If the motor was blown or otherwise damaged, then I probably wont bother with it. But I'll see when I go over on Saturday. Another issue is that I dont have a trailer. I do have an F150 with a shell on it. Not sure if I could slip the frame with motor into the back or not. I might be able to borrow a trailer, but not sure yet.

Now here is the funny thing. I'm new here and don't even own a jeep yet! In the off topic area I've asked your opinion on a candidate, but am still looking. I'm actually looking at a different one now. I came across this transmission, TC, motor and frame for sale while searching for a jeep. I just figured that if the price was right, it would be prudent to pick up the trans and TC for spares. I hope this doesnt turn into a Johnny Cash one piece at at time jeep!
Thanks Steve
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 12:18am
The dauntless 225 V6 has value even if blown/seized. Heavy flywheel (if out of CJ5),  heads and all manner of other items are of value.  Most guys here will respect the fact that you, Steve are interested in it, and will wait for the word to jump on it should you decline.

I get it that you're looking for a runner not parts.  Muley..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 12:26am
Nobody here was born with the Jeep smarts in our head. The only way we learned was to just go do it.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:11am
I would guess it's a Buick not a Dauntless V-6, with the Rochester single-barrel carb.  Still a great engine.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:24am
If it is a single barrel carb it probably came out of a car. I have one in my garage that I have got parts off of. Everything is the same except the intake parts.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 3:11am
I've been wondering if I can replace the Carter and Solex carbs I have for the Go-Devil with one of the single-barrel Rochesters.  The hole in the intake manifold looks big enough...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 7:24pm
I went and picked up the whole thing, frame, motor, Trans and TC. I don't have a need for the motor, but maybe I can find a home for it. There does not seem that be an adapter between the Trans and bell housing, they bolt directly together. Does this look like it is a factory combination from an early CJ5? A dauntless version?

It's snowing out and it still on the trailer. I threw a tarp over it for now. When iit gets nicer and I get some help, i'll probably pull the trans/TC off and bring them inside. I've done my good deed for the day by saving the motor. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I've done my good deed for the day by saving the motor. 

And a good deed you've done, indeed!  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 8:44pm
At least you have some good things for a trade. It may be an old Advance Adapters bell housing. The alternator bracket it's self I have seen go for stupid prices.
uncamonkey
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 2:12pm
I went out this morning and looked things over a little closer. I think Ive identified the engine based on the block casting number. It appears to be a 1967-1974 oddfire 225, based on a google search of casting numbers. There is no adapter between the trans and bellhousing. I thought I read that a T90 was not used behind a V6 from the factory, so this must have been put together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 6:53pm
Engine serial number should be stamped into the surface of the block between the spark plugs on the passenger side.  Front pair or rear pair of plugs, I can't recall.  That would tell you the year if you can find the secret year decoder list. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 9:25pm
Thank to everyone for your help. This has been a success story. I delivered the frame and motor to Ron (Jeep Fever) who lives about an hour away. He can use the frame and motor for his project. I'll get the transmission and TC back from him later on. So the motor was saved and it went to someone who can use it. And for me, I learned a lot this weekend and made a new jeep friend in Ron. A win-win situation.

Now the hunt for my own flat fender continues.
Steve
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 12:24am
Man, I just went thru this thread and got a BIG grin on my face. This is a great act of Jeep kindness, Steve.

Frank Capra would have loved it... happy ending and everything. With all this joy, I probably don't have to get my annual fix of 'It's a Wonderful Life' this year at Christmas!

Well done!
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 3:12am
You'll find a flatty soon, I'm sure.  Saving the V-6 and frame will add to your cosmic Jeep points and things will work out.  YAY!!  Big smile
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 12:53am
Good ID on the Dauntless. I have several Buick V6s sitting around, and the first thing I can tell you is the 225 valve covers won't fit any 'actual' Buick V6 I've seen unless you grind out the bolt holes.

The patterns look the same between the Dauntless 225 and the Buick 231 Odd Fire, but they're not. I can't remember whether it's the top or bottom set of holes, but they're about a quarter inch farther apart.

So if you have the valve covers that look exactly like the ones in the picture, and the bolts are centered in the valley (not ground and offset), it's a legit Dauntless 225.

Yes, you can technically swap heads between the 225 and 231 motors, but it's a LOT of work. The 225 oils through the heads like a small block Mopar, while the 231 oils through the pushrod. It's easier to put 231 heads on the 225 if you tap and block the oil passages and install the proper lifters and pushrods (and some other expensive welding work, I've heard).

To put 225 heads on a 231, you'd have to figure out if you can effectively oil the 225 head via the pushrod. Fairly easy to execute, but unknown if it would actually work.

Essentially:
If it has 225 heads - and those specific valve covers - it's very likely it's a Dauntless.

Edited by LesBerg - 14 Dec. 2017 at 12:58am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12