Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap NOS front lockers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap NOS front lockers
    Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 6:16pm
QTM found 500 NOS Powerlocks for the Dana 27. These will work in the Dana 25 with a conversion kit from Herm. Already bought mine!

Powerlock 
Conversion kit $90:
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 8:40pm
19 spline I suppose? Or are they 10 spline, couldn't 
find any info from QTM.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 12:56pm
QTM confirmed 10 spline axles

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 1:33pm
Ya they are 10 spline.
Someone else on here has one but from another post he said they had to get some machining done to make them work.

The Dana 27 Powerloks are advertised as NOS made in 1963.  They look like 10 spline.

Here is what I did to the Dana 27 Powerlok to get it to fit.

I used the gear mounting surface from the Dana 25 carrier as the reference surface and machined in the seats the Powerlok to match the seats two match the Dana 25 based on the on the gear mounting surface.  Then I counter sank the bolts that hold the Powerlok case together.  All good.  Then I cut 1/4 inch off of the end of the drivers side 10 spline axle that inserts in to the Powerlok to adjust for  the case trimming.  Any good machine shop can do this.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep, 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 3:33pm
Anyone have any more in depth insight on making these work?  Looking at the kit Herm sells, it makes it sounds simple.  But Im a bit confused if there has to be machining work done if using this kit.  Nothing on you Stev, about how you made it work, I just need some clarification.  I just cant understand what is meant by machining the seats when it sounds like you have to add a spacer.  What seats?  To me, there is only one seat that the ring gear mounts on.
Or are you talking about the seats for the carrier bearings.  Herms kit has 2 "special" bearings.

Oh and if anyone has the numbers for these "special" bearing and races, please post them.  They cant be special in that they cant found, just not the normal ones used.

Thanks,
Brett

Edited by bretto - 09 Dec. 2017 at 3:38pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 4:26pm
Basically the D25 and D27 differential "cases"  do not interchange.
The difference is that the D27 uses a much smaller diameter ring gear than a D25.

Do not confuse differential "case" with differential "carrier" as many people do.
The differential  "carrier" is the part welded to the axle tubes.

The internal part found inside of the D25, D27 and D30 Powr Lok cases are all identicle excepting for disk configuration.
The  case internals includes clutch packs, spider gears, side gears and cross shafts.
The QTM price on these is about the same as the going price for clutch packs only.

Here are the various bearings required...

GROUP 20-03
52880-----------------D25 differential carrier cone----------------------------24780
52881-----------------D25 differential carrier cup-----------------------------24721
925446----------------D27/D30 differential carrier cone---------------------LM 501349
926800----------------D27 differential carrier cup-----------------------------LM 501311
945341----------------D30 differential carrier cup-----------------------------LM 501314

GROUP 20-04
52876---807266-----D25 inner pinion cone----------------------------------31594
52877-----------------D25 inner pinion cup------------------------------------31520
52878-----------------D25 /D27A / D30 outer pinion cone------------------2872
52879-----------------D25 /D27A / D30 outer pinion cup--------------------2820
926802 (3)-----------D27* inner pinion cone---------------------------------
926804---------------D27* inner pinion cup-----------------------------------
926802---------------D27* outer pinion cone---------------------------------
945739---------------D27* outer pinion cup-----------------------------------
926803---------------D30 inner pinion cone-----------------------------------HM 88649
926805---------------D30 inner pinion cup------------------------------------HM 88610

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 3:27pm
I'm still unclear on what might have needed to be machined down.  I think Stev may be referring to the case bearing ends.  Is the Dana 27 case wider than that of the Dana 25?  Stev if you see this, please chime in.  I'm understanding that the ring gear of the 25 is thinner than the 27 thus needing the spacer.

Brett

neither a D25/27 but in order to clarify the case/carrier.  correct?

Edited by bretto - 10 Dec. 2017 at 3:32pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 7:09pm
bretto said: " in order to clarify the case/carrier.  correct? "

Correct.Clap   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 5:57pm
Looks like the price doubled....
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:07pm
Still a good deal in my book.  Assuming, you are going to actually wheel and not just go to car shows.  The beauty is that you can still steer in 4 wheel drive like you have an open differential in the front.  If your kids or wife are going to wheel and you want some traction control up front these are a an option worth looking at.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 12:11pm
Would you have to be running hub lock outs in order to run a powr-loc in the front in order to not have issues driving on the street?  Or is there no ill as long as your are not running it in 4WD?
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Would you have to be running hub lock outs in order to run a powr-loc in the front in order to not have issues driving on the street?  Or is there no ill as long as your are not running it in 4WD?

I've been running a front Powr-Loc and welded rear on 7.50-16 tractor tires. No problems in two/four wheel drive on the pavement with front hubs both locked/unlocked. I'm very happy with the off road performance gains as well. Makes the stock open diff Jeeps feel like a kids toy. I'm also happy to report I haven't had any problems with manual steering in all of this.
old timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

I'm still unclear on what might have needed to be machined down.  I think Stev may be referring to the case bearing ends.  Is the Dana 27 case wider than that of the Dana 25?  Stev if you see this, please chime in.  I'm understanding that the ring gear of the 25 is thinner than the 27 thus needing the spacer.

Brett

neither a D25/27 but in order to clarify the case/carrier.  correct?

Unless I have missed something in this post, I think some erroneous information has been shared. In my 40+ years in the automotive industry, both in parts and in racing, a "case" is referred to as the housing, and the "carrier" is the part that "carries" the ring gear......  I just installed a new set of taller gears in a Dana70, and added an Eaton posi unit, and going from 3:54's to 4:56's required a new "carrier".........
OLD TIMER
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 5:26am
You're right. Some erroneous information has been shared. For many years. I can't speak for others for sure, but in GM-speak, and in the Willys-Overland parts book, the differential gears are inside of, and the ring gear is on the outside of, the differential case. The part that the case goes inside of, as well as the axle shafts, and the brakes fasten to the ends of, is the axle housing. In the case of the old GM cars that used a "drop-out center section", the case with its internals and the ring gear as well as the pinion gear were installed into the carrier, which was bolted into the housing.
  Different manufacturers use different terms, and sometimes even the parts man has to be able to determine what the mechanic is talking about. Not always easy because two mechanics may call the same part by different names, and neither is the name used in the parts book. And then sometimes the Service Manual uses a different name altogether. LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply