Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shovel Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shovel Mount
    Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 10:35pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 10:37pm
Been looking for some way to mount a decent sized shovel. This exceeded my expectations. Simple too. 1 3/4 inch ubolt through existing holes (with one slightly enlarged). Hangs on through rough travel. Put 5/16 inch wing nuts on the ubolt to be able to get it off.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:13pm
Steve.

The mount looks nice.  I must be missing something in your description.  It sounds like you mounted the shovel end with the U bolt.  How is the handle side attached?  Tell us about the back up light.  How is it mounted, what voltage, where is the switch?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:25pm
There is only the u bolt. I used a piece of some hard foam from a package to keep the handle end from rattling. I had it hopping up and down and side wise on a steep rocky hill and nothing got loose. The back up light has a switch on the dash. Put on (in?) by the previous owner. Works though.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:26pm
Oh, 12 volt.

IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 5:47am
I like all Jeeps up to 1975 ,after that AMC pretty much ruined the 1/4 ton Jeep.
That said, the M-38 is probably the best. the Military designed cool spare tire carrier gas can holder axe and shovel plus added a large plate that covers the trans and T-case that bolts on. Just my 2 cents.
gearwrencher
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by IronAge52 IronAge52 wrote:

I like all Jeeps up to 1975 ,after that AMC pretty much ruined the 1/4 ton Jeep.
That said, the M-38 is probably the best. the Military designed cool spare tire carrier gas can holder axe and shovel plus added a large plate that covers the trans and T-case that bolts on. Just my 2 cents.
The MB/GPW had relatively the same mounting for the gas, ax, and shovel.  M38 rear mounted equipment meant killing a functional tailgate.  All flattys had a skid plate to my knowledge.
Brett
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:38pm
I think he may have been referencing the bolt in floor plate not a skid plate.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I think he may have been referencing the bolt in floor plate not a skid plate.

Makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply