Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator to grill welting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator to grill welting
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:57pm
So, I'm talking about the welting that seals the gaps between the grill and radiator. I just purchased the welting from Walcks, and am trying to figure out the install. Does the welting mount to the inside or outside of the grill? The precut angles for the top piece don't match up to any angles on the grill, and it's also about an inch or two too long. (my 2a is all original) Is this welting kit "universal", and do you just cut to fit? Has anyone used Walcks welting, and can maybe post a pic of your install? Thanks guys.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 3:18pm
Maybe this will help you, not sure? This is what is left of mine:

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 3:26pm
The welting goes on the outside of the grill.  My experience is with 1942 MB.  Perhaps something changed by the time they started making the CJ2A - but the MB welting was held on to the grill using wire.  Some would call it a staple.  The staple was passed through the welting, then the holes in the grill and then twisted together like a safety wire was - the Cj2A might just have them bent over. 

The staple is a unique design with two loops in the wire to increase the surface area on the welting.   The sections of the welting were stitched together using the wire to join the upper corners.  If you are interested I could make up a one of the wire staples and post a photo of it.

In the long run - the challenge is trying to stop a mouse from come along and removing the welting to make a  house over by the number 4 spark plug.  

Edited by Stev - 07 Dec. 2017 at 3:31pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 6:37pm
Check out "radiator felt" under tech questions one page back, I just did mine and used a combo of suggestions.....enlarge the holes slightly, a hot brad nail to make holes in the felt(Thanks Bufordjeep) and make own staples extra long paper clips or 1/16 bailing wire. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:44pm
Thank you, guys. Stev, appreciate the explanation. I know exactly what you mean about the staples. That is the type used on my jeep to secure the welting that runs across the top of the grill.
I'm out of town till Sunday. I'll play with it some more when I return.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 4:55pm
Picture of modern and old style staple (hand bent).  Hope this helps
Stev
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 2:38pm
Thanks Stev,
Here's what is holding my upper grill welting. Was on there when I purchased this jeep back in the early 90's.

'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 3:09pm
We are not talking about the same part of the jeep.  I am taking about the horse hair seal between the radiator and the grill.  You are taking about the double beaded welting between the grill and the  hood.  Most CJ2As use a rivet to hold the double beaded welting on to the grill.  There is a special set of pliers used to bend the rivets.  Sorry for the confusion.

In the photo I posted showing the staple styles, the staples are sitting on the horse hair that gets installed between the grill and the radiator.

Stev
Stev
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 2:48pm
Stev, yep, sorry for straying off topic. I was merely posting a pic of the staples used on my grill welting since they are somewhat similar to your picture. Yes, I'm aware they were originally rivets.
My original question is about the welting between the rad and grill. Thanks again for your info...

Bob
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 5:24pm
I just got to installing this on my 2a.  Afer contemplating the PITA of using the metal clips/staples, I went with 3M trim adhesive with terrific success.  I sprayed it onto a plate and brushed it onto the mating surface of the Jeep, then stuck it on.  Was easy and is neat and secure.  Where does the 4the piece of welt go?  I have too and 2sides and one long piece left over.

Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 9:35pm
I think the fourth piece is for the bottom, but only if you have the optional “brush guard” that mounts between the frame crossmember and the grill assembly.  There is a recessed lip on the brush guard for the fourth piece.
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 6:34am
Thanks for the reply, Dutch.  Glad to know I wasn’t overlooking something obvious.  No brush guard on my Jeep…. Now the question is: do I add a brush guard just so I can install the final piece of welting?     
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
 Post Reply Post Reply