Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L134 Distributor removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callturner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L134 Distributor removal
    Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 6:59am
Looking to remove my distributor for replacement. I backed out the hold down bolt as far as I could, it hits the bottom of the distributor. And I also loosened the clamp bolt completely. The thing wont move! Any good ideas would be appreciated. Mike,
Mike
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 7:46am
They can rust in so you need to use something to get them loose. Something like Kroil or PB blaster. WD40 is worthless for this. Shoot it up for a few days and see what happens,
uncamonkey
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 12:01pm

This is one way I have been able to get one to move. Spray it best you can around the clamp area, I have been happy with Kroil, may need to sit a few days. Then attach two hose clamps as shown above, gives you a place to TAP to get it to rotate. Once you get some movement respray and keep working with it. 

Good luck, a stuck dizzy is common and will test your patience. 

Mike

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 1:04pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 3:04am
PB Blaster and a big pipe wrench. The longer you can soak it the better. A rubber strap you can loop around it and fold the strap back on itself is gentler than the pipe wrench and still gives some leverage.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 4:29am
Unfortunately it is probably stuck deep inside the block. It will take some time for the penetrating oil to work.

From some comparisons I have read about (and agree in my experience):

Best to worst:
1) 50/50 mixture of auto tranny fluid and acetone
2) Kroil
3) PB Blaster
4) WD-40

As others have said, don't waste your time with WD-40 for this purpose. It has other uses, but not busting rust.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 5:11am
A strap wrench is probably a good idea. I didn't need one on mine but I would avoid a pipe wrench. I have read of people that destroyed a distributer doing that. Just keep spraying it down.
uncamonkey
callturner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callturner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 6:26am
Got it! The PB blaster and a large pair of channel locks did the trick. Thanks all!
Mike
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 2:20am
When you put it back in, be sure to use anti-seize!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply