Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low profile carb search for F-134

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low profile carb search for F-134
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 7:48am
found this one. Its a tomco 1-64. No idea if it'll function correctly. I think it crosses to a holley 1909 carb? 

Tomco 1-68/Holley 1904's are pretty much unobtanium as far as i can tell, in reconditioned form and not costing $400.00

bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 7:52am

Not sure what the threaded opening is for on the front? Also, whatever the mechanism is on the bottom, i'm pretty well resigned to having to use a short spacer. This is purportedly for a 144/170ci motor, so i think critical operational specs might be close, but does anyone know for sure? I'm very novice when it comes to carbs. Good news is that its only 4" tall and the mounting bolt pattern is spot-on.

Did some research, thinking the threaded hold might be a vacuum advance port? Probabaly something i can just plug, as this model is probably for Fairlanes and mustangs that had a vacuum advanced distributor...possibly.

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 15 Dec. 2017 at 1:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 7:54am
and btw, just have this on hold, havent purchased. Want to be 100% before i get anything
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 3:47pm
You've probably read the info on the 3B page:

I'd offer that it may be a good idea to also verify valve cover clearance as well (not a whole lot of room between the carb and cover).

Additional minor alteration will be with the air horn.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
2/14Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2/14Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:03pm
I have seen where a ford falcon carb has been used in a F134 in order to gain hood clearance when used in a flatfender.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:04pm
Yessir, I have researched this for a while. thanks for the link, regardless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 2/14Marine 2/14Marine wrote:

I have seen where a ford falcon carb has been used in a F134 in order to gain hood clearance when used in a flatfender.

Yup, I've ready that site too.

Ford Falcons used a Holley 1904 carb to a large extent. These cross to a Tomco 1-68 which USED to be carried by O'reilly's but they are not available any more.

there is the possibility of scoring something on ebay or going junkyard diving, but those would be of dubious condition, most likely requiring refurbing. Add to that, they're somewhat hard to find. Most of the adverts on ebay are a "send in your carb for refurbishhing" service offering.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:11pm
At this point i'm working with my local O'reilly's on sourcing a comparable carb in a flavor that is more readily available.

I have also verified that a solex carb from an L-head, as mentioned by 4wheeler in their article, will not work, due to the fact that it has a completely different mounting pattern (L-head is smaller, f-head is larger and exactly the same as 1 bbl Ford carbs, other than several differences in bore size)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:13pm
Personally I would pass on that one.
Would you really be proud of that on your Jeep ?
Besides that.. you must add a custom spacer under the mounting flange.
That alone will nullify a critical part of its short height.

I advocate the old school  American made Holley 1908 with glass fuel well cover.
You will need to fabricate custom throttle linkage.
The advantage of the 1908 over the 1904 is the orientation of throttle linkage

When putting a Holley 1908 F-134 under a low hood flatty you will have be very creative to make it fit.
You will likely need to do all of these:
1) Small body lift about 1/2" works well, 
2) Slight hood raise about 1/8" works well, 
3) Modified air horn  (meaning flattened and widened), about 1/2" lower
4) Mill down the carburetor base of the F-head, about 1/4" mill depth

Otherwise you may need to somehow lower the front engine mounts.

Edited by oldtime - 15 Dec. 2017 at 4:15pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 7:30pm
Thanks for the post, Ken. Thats honestly what i'd like to use -  I just havent been able to find one...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 7:32pm
Oh, and i'm not deterred by the custom linkage. I've already had to do some custom work (some i'm proud of and some i jusssst dont take pictures of...lol)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 9:34pm
How many inches tall would be the target?
The Holley/Weber 5200 progressive two barrel is quite short and the adapter plate can be less then an inch. I used one on a ford 200 L6 in a 67 mustang with excellent results.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 11:04pm
Could someone with standard Go Devil measure distance from top of deck to top of mounted  Carter carburetor.
I'll measure the same on a standard Hurricane and then we will  better know the exact difference.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 12:07am
4-4.5" is what i'm looking for. Overall i have 6" to the bottom of the hood (sheetmetal rib removed) from the mounting surface on my fhead.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 3:12am
The Weber DGV 32/36 I have sitting here measures 4.375" base to top of air horn. The Smaller Holley Weber 5200 (they used them on Pintos and some high performance VW Bug setups) should be the same with smaller bores. but same basic frame.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 6:15pm
Quote 4-4.5" is what i'm looking for. Overall i have 6" to the bottom of the hood (sheetmetal rib removed) from the mounting surface on my fhead.

Is that 6" measurement pretty accurate ?

The 3B Cowl was raised 4-3/4" to fit the taller engine.

That may have been a tad overkill but re-engineering to fit the Hurricane under a low hood remains a challenge.

The std. F-134 head is 3-5/8" from deck to top of carburetor base.

The YF 938 is 6-1/4" OAH.

The std. YF air horn sets 2-1/8" above the YF.

So the top of standard YF air horn set exactly 12" above the F-134 engine deck.

Can someone please post the distance from deck to top of air horn for a standard Go-Devil ?

The Holley 1904 and 1908 will fit the F-134 mounting flange and the standard air horn perfectly.

The advantage of the 1908 over the 1904 concerns orientation of throttle valve linkage.

I no longer have my Holley 1908 but do recall that it was used on Ford 140 cu.in engines in 1961 and 1962.

I can't seem to find my notes concerning the exact height of this carburetor.

I believe it to be 4" or slightly more.

My best advice is:

To get the Holley 1908 and ideally put a glass fuel well cover on it.

Without modifications you need to "ding" the rocker cover. 

Consider...

A small body lift up to 1" max.
1/2" is best or you may encounter issues like pedal shaft/ tub interference.

Mill the head ... 1/4" lower at the  carburetor mounting flange.

Trim down the YF air horn.
Fabricate both shorter and wider so you do not reduce volume.

Moving hood hinge adjustment slots up about 1/8" or so.

Grind off a portion of the inner hood seam.

I would shy away from these myself but You might also consider...

Lowering the transmission support  crossmember about 1".
Willys added a 1" thick block of wood when they did this on CJ-5 with T98-A installations.

Lower the foreward engine mounting brackets.
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 8:39pm
Thanks, Ken. I've been working on this for a while so, on my completed list:

Lowered front engine mounts
Hood seam trim
Hood hinge relocate/reset

Ready to dent valve cover and possibly do a short 1/2"-3/4" body lift as needed. 

And you're right, rechecked my measurements. Its about 5 1/2"-5 5/8" from the deck to the bottom of the hood.

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 16 Dec. 2017 at 8:43pm
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

The Weber DGV 32/36 I have sitting here measures 4.375" base to top of air horn. The Smaller Holley Weber 5200 (they used them on Pintos and some high performance VW Bug setups) should be the same with smaller bores. but same basic frame.

There was also a version of the Holley/Weber used on Chevy Vega GTs starting in '73.  When I was into hotrodding 4 bangers, the Holley/Weber was my carb of choice and the Vega ones were the easier ones to find.  O' course, these days, you can't hardly find a Vega, let alone a carb for one.  Most Vegas I've seen in the past 20 years have been victims of V8 conversions.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>