Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cjs cj rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cjs cj rebuild
    Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 1:09am
  Had a couple minutes today and got to test fit the body back on the frame after welding in the replacement panels.  It still lined up very well, just the two bolts on the riser to frame did not line up very well, but its a pretty easy fix.  Slowly we are getting there, I think I am on like 9-10 months now and still a ways to go.  

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 7:57pm
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for the welding.  I flipped the body back over and am touching up a couple more repairs.  But I think I can say the big repairs are done as far as welding is concerned.  Hopefully soon it will be on to the just as much fun part of filling and sanding to prep for primer. Smile

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 12:59am
Got the passenger floor welded in.  This side was harder as I had to cut away more of the curve toward the transmission tunnel.  It came out Ok and I still have a couple more patches to do.

Soon I will flip it back over and see how the other side looks.  I just hope the mounting holes are not to far off.  Since I replaced floors and supports there was not much to go off of while welding the new stuff in place.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 10:06pm
I would also not paint it. It looks to cool to paint. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 1:19am
Looking great!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 12:52am
Yes, many years plowing the driveway with the hand pump hydraulic lift.  Between that and having to go out and pull the pin to swing the plow the other direction you planned your route very carefully.
  Made a little more progress today.  Drivers side floor repair going pretty well and cut out the passengers side.

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 2:22pm
Did you ever plow with that hand pump between the seats?  I have the same pump for my plow. Its a workout. 
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2020 at 2:43pm
I covet your hard top that was on it when you started this thread. Big smile
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2020 at 1:13am
Yup, original paint color was black.  As far as I know and from what I see it had never been painted.  A "lefty" to.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 3:30pm
Is your jeep originally black? Not too many of that color. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 2:30pm
Haven't had much time to update lately but have gotten some work done.  Started patching holes and replacing panels.  I purchased replacement panels from Classic Enterprises.  They are good quality and fit well.  Most of the panels have some extra material that can be helpful if needed or trimmed off.  I cleaned up the frame and painted it.  It was in pretty good shape minus a couple small bends in the rear bumper.  The body is coming along but still a ways to go.  Some pics below of the progress.

We will see how much more gets done over the Holidays.  Ignore the beginner welding skills.  LOL
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:35am
Finally got around to removing the body off the frame.  Actually went a little easier than expected.  Some bolts came out the rest were pretty easy to cut off or grind.  Hardest part was the steering wheel.  It would not budge.  Tried a couple different pullers, penetrating oil, but no luck.  Ended up destroying the wheel and steering shaft.  So they will be added to the list to replace.

So now the hard and really time consuming part begins, all the body work.  There are a bunch of repairs needed.  Both floor pans, rear riser, all floor supports, right rear was hit at some point, and other miscellaneous patches.  I will also be doing some frame cleaning and painting.  Possibly a clutch, figure it will be much easier to do now than later.  And I am sure a million other things once I start digging in.  My goal is to have it back together by the end of the year.  We will see how close I get considering I was supposed to be at this stage January 2019. LOL
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 1:13am
  I got a little more work done.  New inner windshield frame and new glass.  Installed new passenger seat, had to make brackets and it has enough room to still tilt forward enough to gain access to tool box.  Also test fitting the rollbar so I can make some brackets and get all the holes drilled before I remove the body for repair and paint.  I am trying to get all the holes and modifications done before paint.

After the work took the Jeep out for a spin for about 20min or so.  Still running well.  I think I have backed off the idea of a V6 install for now.  The L134 is no speed demon but it really does run well for what it is.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 2:18am
Originally posted by cjs cj cjs cj wrote:

Smittybilt

I am considering buying two more for the back for the kids and making custom brackets.

Make sure there'll be room before you pop for them.  I put a pair of Smittybilt high-backed buckets in the back of my Bronco (which I think is quite a bit wider than a CJ2a) and really had to work to fit them between my fenders.  I might not have the exact same seats as you are thinking about, so I'm not saying that I know it won't work, but don't assume it's a gimme.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 1:27am
Smittybilt

I am considering buying two more for the back for the kids and making custom brackets.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 4:25pm
What are those seats. Seem to fit pretty good
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 4:01pm
Thanks for the info and pics. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 1:02am
In my whole ten miles the seat feels pretty good.  Although my old ones were pretty much just like sitting on wood.  But honestly they are pretty comfortable.  I went with the high back as I plan on adding a should and lap belt when I install the roll bar. They were on sale for $100 each.  The bracket is nothing to hard to make, its just a tight fit.  It essentially slides from the front of the gas tank towards the back.  It would have been a little easier, but I have a hydraulic pump for a snow plow a little bit in the way.  My other concern was the height, I am 6ft and the windshield frame all ready bothered me some as it was right in my line of sight.  So I kept the bracket as low as possible.  If my crude geometry is correct the notch should also never interfere with the suspension travel.

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>