Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cjs cj rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cjs cj rebuild
    Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 1:33am
Finally have a minute to start a project thread on my 48 CJ2A (lefty).  I have seen lots of great advise and ideas on the forum and thought maybe someone may get help from my build.  A little history the jeep has been in the family since new in 48 (great grandfathers).  Originally from upstate NY on an orchard then to my parents in CT.  When my parents were moving about 2 years ago dad wasn't going to take the jeep and was going to sell it.  Well I couldn't let him do that so I drove from Fl to CT to pick it up and bring it back down here.  I have been driving this jeep since I was about 11 or so (now 40) plowing the  driveway and goofing around in the yard.  I am also a mechanic so a fun project is always good.
  The jeep is not in horrible shape but needs a ton of work.  It starts, runs, rolls, and shifts.  Doesn't stop.  Body has a bunch of rust but frame is pretty decent.  Transfer case shifts and seems to work well.  Electrical bad needs re-wire.

So far I have taken off the snow plow and hard top.  Makes it easier to work on and probably won't use either much in Fl but plan to keep and re-store them also.  Went threw the carb but still had trouble getting it dialed in.  Found a cracked intake that has been "repaired" at some point.

Next is the suspension.  The front leaf springs are so bad they actually arch the wrong way, I am sure having the plow on most of its life didn't help.  I hope to get them installed in the next couple of weeks.  Then for the time being I will get the brakes working.  I got all the drums off and for now will just replace the brake lines and fix what needs to be fixed to get them working.  
  I plan to keep the jeep stockish.  Electrical is already 12V, and will probably do a front disc conversion at some point.  We will see where the project goes.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 1:36am
Forgot I had one more pic

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 2:29am
She’s got potential! Fix what’s broke and see what happens.
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 4:13am
It's a good starting point, and being in the family all those years is really cool.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 6:15am
I love family jeep stories. And I love your jeep. 
I think everyone should do what they want with their own Jeep and make what THEY want out of their own rig.
That having been said, I think your jeep has a wonderful aged patina that makes it look like the old work horse that it has been. I would fix all the mechanical and run it just like it is. It took 70 years to get that look. Anybody can have a shiney paint job, not everyone can have genuine 70 year old patina.

Whatever you decide, keep us in the loop. Thanks for sharing.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 2:28pm
Welcome aboard,nice looking jeep,keep the pictures coming Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 5:27pm
Very cool. 1 family owned too!  Have you searched through the old family photo albums yet?
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 1:43am
  I have the word out to family members if they come across any old pics.
  Over the weekend I got the exhaust and intake manifolds back together, drained the fuel tank (estimate 2-2.5 yrs old), went threw carb again, cleaned fuel pump filter and got it running again.  Sounds great I can't believe we ran it like it was for so long, but it was a farm jeep so the motto was just keep it running I guess.  I hope to get to the suspension installed in the next week or so then it will be on to the brakes.  I will post some pics as I get the work done.

Edited by cjs cj - 01 Sep. 2018 at 4:13pm
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 1:50am
looking forward to seeing the progress! 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 3:33am
Yes, Me too! Very cool project! 

Originally posted by Doodledad Doodledad wrote:

looking forward to seeing the progress! 
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:05pm
Some minor progress, removed front shocks, brake lines and cut all u-bolts off

old to new parts comparison

Got some prep work done on the new parts

Hope to get at least the front suspension done this weekend.  New springs, shackles, shocks and hardware.  Maybe even take off the front diff cover and see what it looks like.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:33am
Got some work done this weekend.  Got the new front suspension in and most of the rear.  Just need to sand blast and paint the rear lower shock mount brackets.  Wasn't to bad, hardest part was getting out the old leaf spring pivot bolts.  Pretty much sheared the head off then a some heat and pounded them threw.  Installation of the new parts was pretty easy.  I gained about 1.5 inch in the front with the new springs.  Hope to wrap up the suspension this week then its onto the brakes.

New front suspension

New rear suspension

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 4:47pm
Looks great! Im familiar with that NY patina! 
Who's leaf springs did you buy? 
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 1:33am
I got the complete kit from Kaiser Willys.  Seemed to be the most complete at a reasonable price.  I painted the shocks as I thought the Monroe blue stood out a little to much.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 1:40am
Some more progress this week.  I got the new brake shoes and wheel cylinders installed all around and got all the eccentric's freed up so I can adjust later.

I also started on getting all the new brake lines installed and routed correctly.  I also pulled the front diff cover since some of the brake line brackets went to the bolts anyways, figured I should at least pull the cover inspect and put in fresh fluid.  The lube was like black honey but no chunks of metal or real shiny film in the lube.  Spun bearings around and they look pretty good.  So a new gasket and fluid and I will run it as is.

I have purchased a new temp gauge as mine was working about 50% of the time.  I needed to use a little heat and penetrating oil but I was able to get it out of the block.  I was a little surprised.  We will see how this week goes.  Hope to have it back in a rolling condition in a week or so.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 7:36pm
Made some more progress on the jeep.  Got all the brakes installed and drums back on.  Then I went to bleed the brakes and couldn't get the reservoir cap off.  Tried many different approaches but eventually had to take the master cylinder off the jeep and put in a vise to get a good grip on the cap to take it off.  After re-installing and getting a helper to operate the brake pedal got all the lines bleed.  Took the jeep out for a spin and after realizing the kids put the shifter in 4 low (they like to play in the jeep) seemed to run pretty good.  So feeling a little confident went around the corner from the house and up a small hill.  About 3/4 the way up engine starts running poorly, so I went to quickly turn around and the jeep stalled.  So now I am halfway in the street and no start.  Luckily the jeep is light so I was able to turn it around by pushing and coasted back down the hill to the house.  After finding some unknown age bad wiring to the coil and distributor and repairing we were out for another try.  This time much better, actually surprised at how well it does run.  Most of my time in the jeep was just plowing snow so never had much at speed running.  Even with my dry rotted NDT's it seemed pretty good.  So I ran it around for awhile through the neighborhood as it is still not registered.  Even took the kids for a ride, they had a blast.
  Still a lot more work to do but the small victory definitely helps keep the interest.  I will try and post the video we took but for now just a pic of the jeep finally out of the garage.

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 6:13pm
I have made some progress.  Changed the fluid in the trans and transfer case. Both were pretty low and transfer case looks to have had some water mixed in the oil.  Filled both back up to proper levels and transfer case leaks pretty good.  Appears to be out of the front and rear driveshaft seals.  The engine started to run rough last time I was out so I opened hood to see fuel pouring out of the carb.  Pulled it apart and found a bunch of rust inside the bowl.  Cleaned carb again and added a filter.  Wish full thinking that maybe after a couple tanks of fuel all the rust will be out of the tank.  I have been driving it around the neighborhood after and its runin well.  The parents were down so I took dad for a ride, he got a kick out of it.  I have also removed most of the wiring in preparation to re-wire.   I will be making my own harness as I will change a few things along the way.  So as work continues I am also trying to get the jeep registered, which I thought could be a little challenge.  I think I can get what I need paperwork wise after a couple trips to the DMV and some family members signatures, hopefully have it in a couple weeks.  

Edited by cjs cj - 06 Mar. 2018 at 6:15pm
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 2:14am
did you take those wires outa my m38??? Some one used that same wire ing diagram on her !!
mam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>