Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 10:49pm
Fortunately, my latest gadget can be worked on in the basement. Working on getting the pto bracket made and will be tearing this down with my son.

Bill

Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 2:55am
I'm still on vacation this week. I'm concentrating on just working on the Jeep.

Spoke with Cowboy64 this morning. He was kind enough to take some photos and measurements from his 3A so that I can drill the hose pipe holes for my Harrison heater. Thanks again Cowboy64!

Spent the rest of the day cutting off the bailing wire that was holding up what I think is an original exhaust system. I had to replace the tailpipe. It was MIA. I have a mounting question, but will start a new thread so as not to dirty this one up.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 2:56pm
Over the holiday weekend I built a house for the air compressor and a shed. What does this have to do with jeeps? Nothing directly. The compressor house reduced the ear-splitting noise from the compressor so the shop is more comfortable to work in and the shed will contain lawnmowers, rototillers, garden tools, etc. This was the most cost effective way for me to gain more shop space and reduce clutter. Plus the lumber for the shed was piled in the middle of my work space! This lumber was milled from trees felled at my last property and I've moved this pile countless times. Win, win!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 4:17pm
What is this Bill?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 9:31pm
Aww come on bob. You know what a $1500 Westinghouse T1 Air Compressor looks like!

PS send me your M38A1 parts list please...
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 1:35pm
When our temp finally got up to 32 yesterday, I went over to the barn and looked under the Jeep to be sure nothing (new) was dripping!
Nothing!☺
Rick Estes
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 2:42pm
The low temps are discouraging.  However, the other build threads I'm following are very inspiring.  So I've been working on getting my shop set up better.  Since we have lived there a year now, I'm finally working on getting my tools, work bench and work space organized.  

In preparation for upcoming work on the Jeep, I bought a 30" sheet metal brake from HF.  "What did you do on your Jeep today".  I rolled it forward, into the spot I want it for when I get to start working on removing the tub.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 3:48pm
Bob,

Joe is correct about one thing, it is a T-1, but I didn't pay $1,500 for it- too rich for my blood. That said I did get what I paid for, its seized and is missing a few parts. I am hoping to get it apart and have the parts made. Finding spares seems to be just about impossible.

Bill

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 4:08pm
I was teasing about the $1500 since there is one on ebay for $2K right now.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Fill some of us dummies in on this compressor.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 5:08pm
Joe,

I didn't see that. Wow, didn't know they were worth that much.  Maybe I won't put it on my Jeep...

Bill

GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 5:44pm
I did some engine clean up on my 3b, cleaning up the limestone dust from the gravel roads down at Lonnie's, and I started cataloging the 100's of M38A1 parts I got off a guy. I'll start selling those soon, and I did some work on the jeepster too. See post in projects...other!

Oh, and I'm working on installing a dual wheel setup...but just for shows.

Gee Bob, I was feeling bad about not getting Roscoe cleaned up until the first of December, but he did have a little more KY dirt than your 3B did. Looking forward to seeing the Jeepster and dual wheel project!

Greg 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Fill some of us dummies in on this compressor.

Jim

Jim,

THey were a field kit on MBs and GPWs during WWII and various other army trucks. After the war, Westinghouse sold them as a Jeep Approved accessory. I'm trying to recreate the pulley drive setup on the left. Apparently, there is only one know surviving set of brackets.

Bill

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 9:08pm
Thanks Bill, I like that set up using the flat pulley drive. Only if they wasn't so dog gone rare.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 2:09am
I did a 30 mile round trip to a paint store with a scan tool. I cleaned off the best spot on the underside with the original Luzon Red paint. Computer came back with a very high match for a Toyota color, Red Carnelian.

(That's a new one, usually it makes my pictures up side down. This time it is sideways)

I had a spray can made up. I'm going to shoot the tailgate. It is in primer now. Just a single stage to see what the color looks like. We could not find a chip for it.

Need to look at my charging system. Alternator is new but battery might not be holding a charge. I stopped for a beer while they made up the paint. I had to get a jump to get back on the road.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 1:44pm
I don't think I ever saw one of those air compressors...cool thing for sure.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 5:05pm
   Managed to get the motor for my Harrison heater back together and working, having regrets at first about taking apart a working motor, but the wire was frayed and I found the bushing was sticking to the shaft(right no bearings as expected- brass bushing). Notice the set screw that holds the fan on the shaft, this is why I love my TIG welder. The horn covers are the only diff. I see between early 48 and late 48. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 11:08pm
I stopped at the local John Deere store on the way home and picked up two tubes of Cornhead grease for the knuckles. I have no idea what the previous owner used, but from all my reading, this stuff seems like a good choice, and at $3.71 for a 14oz tube, it seemed like a bargain.

Its too cold to work in the garage, but I took a quick look at the knuckles to see if there is a drain plug. I didn't see one (but the floor was like s block of ice, so I didn't linger!), only saw the fill plug. Is there a way to easily drain the old pudding without taking it all apart? If not, then I'll probably just top them off.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>