Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:40am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Is there a way to easily drain the old pudding without taking it all apart?

I don't believe there is an easy way--unless you count it all leaking out by itself.

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:57am
Ndnchi,
I recently did this myself. The only way to do it right is pull the axels and scoop out the old grease. There was some nasty stuff on one of mine and I'm glad I did it right.

I used the corn head grease also.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:15am
pulled another old jeep out of the woods today .. Has quite a few use able parts on it !! Realy hope ing a salvageable block..rear springs will definantly go under my current project...no id tags found yet..no tailgate and ax shovel grooves on driver side..4 lift handles on rear..pictures to follow tomorrow..phone died this evening ..
mam
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:38am
Slapped a magnetic heater on the side of the engine block. -17 last night, -15 tonight. Rolled her back out of her hole far enough to get under the engine, no apparent leaks. Shifter did not like moving through the gears, won't try that again until we break 10 degrees and I get a good fire in the woodstove. I hate complaining about weather, but man. Daughter's honda won't start, son's Ford won't start, septic line froze, and too cold to do much on the Jeep. Could be worse, right?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 3:14am
Don't forget--it's still just January 5th... plenty of winter left...Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:24am

The lesson for today: Don’t trust Bubba.

Since I got her in October, I have been dealing with charging issues.

She was already converted over to an alternator. The battery was about two years old. With the battery all charged up, I was not seeing over 12v from the alternator.

I took the alternator down to Auto Zone and had it tested. They said it was fine and I put it back in. I’m still not seeing a charge. A few weeks later, I take it to the store and tell them to test it again. This time they say its putting out under 12v (I wonder if that was a lie.) So, I purchase a rebuilt GM alternator of the same version but a bit more amps. I was told it was self-exciting. I forgot to have them test the new one before I walked out.

I have been driving it for several weeks for short trips around the neighborhood. It still did not appear to be keeping a charge. So, I suspected the battery. I got a habit of throwing it on the charger.

I took it up in the hills. She stalled. When I tried to restart, the battery was dead. Thankfully, I was close to the house and a friend towed me back home.

Yesterday, I took her to the paint store 15 miles away. While they mixed my paint, I had a beer. When I went to leave, the battery is dead. With a jump, she starts right up and I drive home. I try to restart and she is dead. So, I figure I’m going to Wally World tomorrow for a new battery.

In the morning, I decide to take the alternator and the battery back to Auto Zone to be tested. Both test fine.  ????  I ask again if the alternator is self-exciting, this guy says no.

I trusted Bubba that he had this alternator wired up correctly and just reinstalled it with one connection. I though nothing of it since I converted my Maverick to a modern alternator which used one wire.

So, I find a diagram on how to wire it up: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/350matt/2012-04-29_100819_alternator_wiring.jpg

I get it rewired and fire her up. Now, I’m getting 14+v to the battery. Perfect. Mission accomplished.

I turn the ignition switch off and she keeps running. Now, T1 is providing current back to the ignition switch and powering the coil. That’s not good.

I think for a while as to how I’m going to wire this up. I want to avoid adding a separate switch. Then I remember that a diode will do the trick. I just happened to have some from a failed turn signal project on the Maverick. I added one to T1 and she does what she is supposed to. https://cactusbush.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/diox2b.jpg

The lesson: Don’t trust Bubba.

Another project completed.

For the rest of the day, I attempted to install the aluminum half cab and took my neighbor out on a drive in the hills. I let him take the wife and the dog for a spin.

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:35am

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 9:09am
SB - that's quite an electrical adventure, thanks for sharing. Do you have a gen/alt warning light as shown in the diagram? If so, does it still work with the diode? 

Break

Regarding the knuckle lube. After it warms up I'll use a pipe cleaner through the fill hole to pull a sample of the existing pudding to see what it looks like. If it looks ok, I'll just top it off with cornhead grease for now. I'm working on several other parts of the jeep at the same time, so trying not to do too many things at once.

Its 4:00am and 6 degrees here. Its hard to get motivated to work in the garage when I have a warm cat on my lap and a hot cup of coffee by my sideWink
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 4:14pm
Ndnchf,
I'm not using a warning (Idiot) light since I have an ammeter. I think there is some more circuitry to the light then mentioned on the diagram, but the diode would cut the power to it. Maybe if it was placed after the light it would work.

I know the feeling of having multiple projects going on the Jeep. I have been working through the list. Getting to the axels might have been a little easier for me. My brakes have been converted to 11". So the drum comes right off and it is just a few bolts to get the axel out. If you have original brakes, I imagine it is a bit more work. If you do it, have lots of rags on hand. It can be quite a mess.

Good luck on the project. I hope it warms up for you. No snow here in Reno but it did rain last night. Not much in the Sierras this year. We need it.

Micah 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 12:45am
SB,  If your alternator "excitement" wire is connected to the "ACC" post on your ign switch, it will still excite the alternator when the ign sw is "on", but current will not feed back thru to the coil when "off".  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:04am
I thought of posting the same thing Bruce, but I thought his ignition switch just might not have a ACC terminal on it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:10am
My ignition switch still has the coil on the back of it. Not sure if it works. A PO made his own electronic ignition system with another coil under the dash and some vintage Motorola bits. I will eventually install a modern electronic ignition.
Micah

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:15am
  Well, let me be the first to say (and I'm sure there will be others) that I would be very interested in your old coil/switch if you might be interested in selling it. Might help you pay for your new electronic ignition. Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:46am
I sandblasted my new battery tray I drilled the 4 holes in the frame that will mount the battery tray I phosphate coated the new battery tray and I put a little PC-7 Epoxy on it to smooth a couple places out and seal up a couple joints. now in the Q for painting

I sandblasted my Gas tank holding straps both the solid one and the flexy one with the webbing on it. The solid one had some nasty rust pitting on the face side so I have some PC-7 smeared on it to smooth it out. Both are in the Q for Painting

Sand blasted and phosphate treated the New Radiator mounts. In the painting Q now

Did some cleaning up in the Shop threw away 3 large boxes of old model airplane magazines (doubles and triples to my collection of over 4800 magazines from 1946 to about 2000) I organized some of my nuts and bolts in small food cans with labels so when assembly time comes they will be easy to find.

Oh and drilled some blind holes in the Micrata Top to my Battery clamp to lighten it a little bit. its also now in the paint Q.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 8:10pm
Drove BAM BAM to church like I do every Sunday, but this time, on the way home, I decided to wheel a ditch on my mother-in-law’s property:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 8:57pm
That looks amazingSmile
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 9:59pm
Yesterday got out in the AM while the sun was shining into garage and pulled carb off to send to scoutpilot for rebuild. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 10:02pm
Having a heatwave today, mid 30's, so I went to the shop to look for something to bring home and work on.  Prepped the frame to spray POR 15 coatings later in the week when it's warmer.  Took home the Sears / Selectro hubs for a makeover and watch a little football.
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 10:22pm
I went out and finally found the two gas caps I've been searching for. It took a week to find them in the hoard. I'm hopeful one is usable. It looks good. 

That's about as ambitious as I've been in the past few weeks. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>