Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 12:59am
As always that's some excellent workmanship.

So what's the wheel inset from true centerline ?
Looks to be more than the standard 3/4" inset.
Should maybe work out O.K. since you got a Dana 30 up front.
Guess we're all wondering if the rear tires will start to rub inside the wheelhouse ?

Personally I think your better off to stay with the 5" x 16" Heavy Duty  KH wheels for your tire size.
But then I like my rims to be a tad narrow so that the tire sidewall can better protect the rim edges.

I recently bought a set of these from St Louis Tire Mart.
I plan to run them on the HD 5 x 16" rims.
I believe they are the same tall skinny tires that Rick Pewe but on his 1952 3A.
They are made as tube type or as tubeless. 

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 1:46am
These are inset about 1/4” deeper than my 5” wide wheels, so most of it is going to the inside. This is not a problem for BAM BAM because my combats are 5-3/4” wide with all the extra width to the inside and they worked just fine.

I want to go wider to try and elliminate some of this tire roll:

This is at 10 psi. I would like to run about 9 psi. With my combats, I ran 8 psi.

..... also, I may try running tubless. I’d like to not carry a spare to help with weight distribution.

In the end, I may not even use these wheels. It’s an experiment.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 1:57am
I've followed and the distasteful look of the safety beads wont be a problem with a short coat of OD and a teeny bit of mud
no one will see the differencee.. Muley..

Edited by RICKG - 09 Jan. 2018 at 2:05am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 2:09am
.... wasn’t that a gr8 day
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 2:11am
Yessir it was!Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 2:30am
Only a 1/4" difference ??
So I'm guessing the narrow look should slightly improve without adversely effecting the D30 steer angle.
Good choice... stay narrow !

Be interesting to see if it helps with low PSI tire roll.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 11:33pm
Wheels are painted and ready to go:

The next part is just horsing around. No this isn’t permanent. Just for fun, I borrow d a set of 900-16s:

With a Dana 30 front, I can go lock to lock without a collision:

The best of the 4 tires measures 34-1/2” diameter. At 8 psi, the tire squats down 1/2” at it takes 4 psi to get the tire to squat 1”:

I just did this to get some pictures. If anyone wanted to know what their g503 would look like on 900-16 NDTs, Enjoy!

..... slippery slope huh roc.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 12:45am
Looks good!, also looks a wee bit tight in back are you going to trim it ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

..... are you going to trim it?
Nope, like I said, I’m not using these tires. I just wanted to see what they look like. IMO, too stiff and heavy anyway.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:12am
I was all excited about that possibility Jeff but honestly I don't really love it like I thought I would.

Wheels look good !

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:58am
These tires have a very square bead that doesn’t fit the wheel right as you may be able to see on the pics. This means a person would likely have to use tubes. IMO, these tires would have to be aired down to at least 4 lbs to have any useable squat.   I’m not sure a tube would work very good at 4 psi. Does anyone have experience on that? If not, you would need a beadlock. In that case, you could weld your bead lock to a stock KH wheel and then you would have your 6” width since the tire bead would be on the outside of the rim.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:03am
Great job again Jeff! They look original..only more manly
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:42am
I'm not surprised by your comments, they work good on my M715, but it weighs nearly 6K, a very stiff tire indeed!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:44am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

..... slippery slope huh roc.

Uh huh......but it's all a compromise. (ask Bob)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:25am
sure gave Bam Bam that “beefy” look.  I’d like to see you wheel them a little just to see how much they rub.  Or at least forklift ‘em.  I seriously considered buying some of these before I got the TSLs.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

...I’d like to see you wheel them a little just to see how much they rub.  Or at least forklift ‘em. ....
I'm not even sure I could drive them on the road without rubbing. There is no doubt in my mind that they would rub significantly without some (slight) changes to the quarter panel. My rear axle with spacers is 2" wider than stock. I considered driving them to work this morning but it is raining here and suppose to start freezing.

I don't think these tires would wheel so good without some cuts and sipes and very low air pressure. Even at that, with the stiff sidewalls, will they squat or just roll? After seeing the problems Rick G is having getting his swampers to squat, it makes me wonder what it would take to get any tall skinny tire to squat. Obviously, they have to have a strong side wall to support their large diameter, but they have no width to keep them from rolling.

I wonder if anyone here has real experience with the Speedway tires, particularly, 750-16 and 900-16 NDT. I've read up on them here and on the g503. Most of the people who have them like them. Most of the negative comments are from people who have never owned them. They see that they are made in India and that is all they need to know. I'm interested because, the reports I read are that they are softer than STAs and that they don't last as long ...... you mean like a "sticky"? If these tires have a lower durometer than STA's, they may be perfect for my application. I just wish they didn't have that big gaudy Speedway logo on them.

.... Can anyone who owns a set, comment?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 4:25pm
Excellent  stuff Jeff,

We all get to see what 9.00 x 16 NDT's look like on a small jeep.
Just my opinion but....They definitely give your jeep a high flotation look. 
I don't like the look as they seem too fat.

Yes these tires in new condition run up to 35" tall so rubbing is definitely going to happen unless modified. 
Your 6" rim width is minimal for this size tire.

Tire Flex your suggesting is pathetic.
What ply rating are these tires ?
IMHO 6 ply is certainly optimum for an LRV / Universal Jeep.
4 Ply rating is good but sets you up for possible sidewall punctures while 8 ply does not wanna flex on a light weight rig.

It would be great experience to try crawling on them but you'd have to cut your pristine fender wells just to try it out.

Bottom line..... Too Stiff, too tall  and the way cool narrow / skinny look goes away.

Rick G.... Personally I  think your NSS tires are much much better.
They definitely push the limits for diameter, fit, performance and the skinny look for old Jeeps

Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 4:31pm
These are 8 ply which is the minimum STA or any other manufacturer I know of offers in a 900-16 NDT.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>