Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 7:56pm
This year will be all brand new. We will camp in our own "Hood" near Deerfield Lake. This camp is hand picked and attested as "fantastic"by our own Rick R.  I've been there twice, once to recon a camp site, and 2nd to test the trails. They are 62" or less, ATV trails. You will again need a Trail sticker from the Forest Service and your complete camp kit. This means you will need a weeks worth of water, fuel, and food. Stand alone camps are forbidden to have a camp fire. Gas cooking is fine. I don't think charcoal brickets are allowed either. This site will allow access to motorhomes and trailers. When turning off the main gravel road to access camp, you will need to walk the area first to plan your particular rigs needs for travel. 

There are several routes to get to our location. Depending on which direction you are entering the Black Hills, I can recommend which way to go. Contact me and I'll describe the road conditions and options. The pavement way will bring you to within .8 miles of camp. That's 8 tenths. Basically here is the route: from the town of Hill City, SD, take highway 17  (19 miles) to Deerfield Lake. At the West end of the lake, turn south on Forest Service Road 291. That's called Ditch Creek Road. Go .1 mile and turn West on FS road 294. Go .7 mile. You have arrived at camp which is on the right or North side of the road, and is where a logging spur exits. (Road 294 1A) 

Google Earth Deerfield Lake, SD, and watch your Latitude and Longitude readings at the bottom. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:05pm
All Right! Here We Go! Thumbs Up   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:11pm
Continued: campsite readings are: 44* 00'  28*.10 N   103* 50' 29.24" W. Elevation is 6169 feet. the highest point in the black Hills is 7100 feet. GPW's run fine here------LOL. 

Last year we maxed out my home carrying capacity, and ran the risk of me getting a notice to acquire a Lawrence Co. campground permit. By moving to a new location, we are at the trails, and have plenty of room. Down side is no motels or I Bar with railroad stair steps.Embarrassed

Wrongway has agreed to help guide group two if we need to separate a large attendance. radios would be a help if you have one. If you don't , we want you to form up behind the leader so no communication confusion will happen. 

On Wednesday, the plan is to drive Jeeps to Hill City for lunch at the Alpine restaurant and ride the 1880 Train. The food is the best. we may have to wait and separate, but it's worth it. There is also a train museum and tourist shops all over. Hill City has gas and groceries too. 

There are 3 different Forest Service campgrounds in the area, however, no showers and a central outhouse and water. 20 bucks a night. Not enough spots to fullfill our needs reservation wise. We may be able to pay a small fee and get water there, but try and bring your own. 
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:19pm
WahooEmoticonsEmoticons

Thanks for the target dates.  Ruthie & I will be ready by then.  I just have to get the M-38 finished.
I think Dan & Vicki will be there too.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:27pm
Great news Oilly!

Looking forward to the Chooo chooo ride!

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:28pm
Continued: I plan on getting to camp early. Possible Sunday in order to be sure and get our spot "reserved". It's been used frequently by others. I have another spot picked out in case camp 1 is taken. 

Camp two: go 2.8 miles South on Ditch Creek Road or FS 291 to a right hand road exiting the main road. FS 6021. 43* 58' 35.20" N   103*50'   103* 50' 47.24" W.  This is the alternate only. 

I've not driven all the trails, so some will possibly be a "Adventure". Hey, you've done this before and we made it right????? Big smile We also are not far from Flag Mountain Fire Lookout, and we will be in the same Area Custer camped twice in 1874. One thing for sure-----it will be fun. Maybe we'll get Rock Soup, HBR's, or who knows what from our guests. 

A chainsaw will be along with me. There are a fair amount of dead pines along the trails and they blow down regularly.  

I'm glad to share these trails with you as a early start to the Jeeping season. The Big Horns do not open up until late July due to snow like the Colorado Rockies. You now have a 6 months to get Skinny Jeeps Ready. Oilly

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 8:34pm
Any "extra curricular" wheeling in the area for rock heads? 
Not that there has to be, but there are sometimes certain idiots that want to go off somewhere and, well, you know, extra cirriculate.  

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 9:29pm
I pumped to get to this event. Hopefully I can get there and back without sleeping at the wheel. Probably need to stick to driving in the daylight.

Stern Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 10:01pm
Goody goody!  John, you rock!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 11:33pm
My 2018 trail permit & map arrived in the mail today!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:10am
Got to say it, I love my friends. Life sucks without good Jeep friends. As Jpet said-----family reunion. Stan, we are not near a rock crawling creek. Cry If we head back Saturday AM (45 miles my way home), we certainly can go back to "THAT CREEK" you so wanted to try from the bottom. I'll follow on foot and rescue you. It most likely would be easier in the woods then where you will be. I admire you and Jeff's "interest" but I like my Jeeps condition too much to "Rock It". You worried me at Moab, and Rubicon. You really need a rollbar. That said, I think you have a rocking talent with GJ! 

I hate to wait 6 months, but the trails are closed anyway so get your Jeep running well and assemble your spare parts, extra antifreeze, gas, water, food, etc. One thing about where we are going is that yes there are some challenging spots with very tight turns, and rocks, mud holes, but you won't bash your Jeep. The gals were actually enjoying things and didn't have to look down 3000 feet off a shelf road. You felt like getting out and relaxing. 

We will visit a old sand mine that rumor says was used to mine silica for high quality optics during WW2. I've not been able to verify that, but it's a cool stop and photo op. 

I didn't get done typing today to announce this meet and bang---------3 replys. You guys must have withdrawl or room rot. LOL Oilly
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:40am
Some level of cabin fever.  Went to Rapid yesterday.  Picked up things that we could have gotten in Nc.
But we needed an excuse to get out.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:35am
-20 here, so sweating in a tent in June is sounding pretty good! .... I'm looking foreword to this as always, my "Right Seater" on this adventure will be my granddaughter Ava, Santa brought her a cot on Christmas for this trip!..... Many thanksTo John & Rick & others for scouting out this area and making this possible!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Runs with Beer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runs with Beer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:38am
My wife and I are planning to be there. We will be there Saturday. Looking forward to the event. Thank you for holding these get together.
Original Side×Side
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:07am
This looks like a really neat event that we have been looking forward to attending for the last couple years. Now that Rojo is done and it is also skinny we are planning on being a part of it. We have never wheeled in the Black Hills so we may even throw 2 Jeeps on the trailer if we can find some trails to and from the BHR that Blueberry can fit on. 
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:26am
Hmmm, I did the google earth thing and looks like there is a big barn just off to the left of the road. when you turn west. Is the proposed camp spot near this barn? 

Just to be sure - no problem getting a 30' motorhome with a 16' car trailer in?

Yea even in Texas we get cabin fever after a few days. 
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

My "Right Seater" on this adventure will be my granddaughter Ava...

You gonna let her drive some? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

My "Right Seater" on this adventure will be my granddaughter Ava...

You gonna let her drive some? 

Yup!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>