Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Hmmm, I did the google earth thing and looks like there is a big barn just off to the left of the road. when you turn west. Is the proposed camp spot near this barn? 

Just to be sure - no problem getting a 30' motorhome with a 16' car trailer in?

Yea even in Texas we get cabin fever after a few days. 

There is a open area when you turn off on 294 1A The smoothest route is through this area. The logging road has a hump that could be a problem. That's why I said you need to walk the area first and pick your spot, but yes, you can get into it. We may have to designate a trailer row.

I don't think there is a barn. If you look at Deerfield Lake, the west point of it is where FS road 291 heads South. Go one tenth, turn Right or west on FS 294 and it winds up a nice gravel road to the top of the hill 7 tenths. You will see a small power line there and just a bit farther is a home on the left. Possibly your barn you see. When you get your FS sticker and map, all the roads and trails are there for you to see and study. I'm already surprised so many want to primitive camp------LOL. Jeep folks for sure. 

We can not park or leave vehicles on this 294 1A. it's a frequently used trail. The FS actually went by Rick and I when we parked there. They liked the Jeeps and waved! Star
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

This looks like a really neat event that we have been looking forward to attending for the last couple years. Now that Rojo is done and it is also skinny we are planning on being a part of it. We have never wheeled in the Black Hills so we may even throw 2 Jeeps on the trailer if we can find some trails to and from the BHR that Blueberry can fit on. 

Brian, the trails from camp are all ATV. Otherwise it's a normal gravel road through the valleys and there is a maze of them that go all over. Boring in a Jeep but very scenic. I love the looks of Rojo. Blueberry could be used with Stan to check out the camp 5 stuff if you have time at the last weekend. The ATV trails where we are at have vehicle cattle guards that are fun to drive over. Challenge is the camp 5 stuff. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:15pm
For folks that are worried about their long rigs, there is another option. Ditch Creek Campground is 4 miles south of us on FS 291. We will drive right by it on many of our runs. It might solve those problems and you could easily drive up to camp in your Jeep and get in on the fireside chats with no fire---LOL. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

...Just to be sure - no problem getting a 30' motorhome with a 16' car trailer in?.....
George, I wouldn't wheel your motorhome. These trails are very skinny. Better use the jeep............
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:22pm
lol😂, it will be good seeing everyone again. It has been over a year since we saw the gang at FCT 2016. 
Now I just have to figure out how to cook my marshmallows without a fire pit😁
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:33pm
Hey Oilly, we'll be there for sure.  Just have to make sure the EFI is working correctly and the Mule will be ready for the skinny trails.  Any chance you could post up an overhead shot of the camp area taken from Google Earth?  

I guess this means I'd better get the FCT 2018 announcement up too! 

Thanks John! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:51pm
I sent two shots to you Mike. I'd need a computer person to sit here with me and figure out this posting photos thing. After photo kicked the bucket, allot of horror stories. If I used my phone , I'd bet they would be upside down. That would really confuse folks. The roving reporter and his buddy Stan are excellent movie producers. The camp five video explained why they both had a big smile when they returned to camp. Rock heads. LOL
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:16pm
Here are two overhead views of John's campsite for this year's BHR.  First the big picture view.  The camp site is near the middle of this photo, just above the only building you can see in this photo.

In this closeup, you can see the meadow that John has scoped out for us.  Looks pretty sweet from up here!  There's trees around it for shade and to break the breeze.  Looks like good road access for our trailers too.  And it appears we may have one of our narrow trails leading right out of the meadow into the forest.  Very Cool!!  Can't wait!  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:38pm
Yep that's where I was looking so I must have been in the right spot on google earth. I guess Lynn and I will arrange to get there on Sunday since it is about 1045 mile from Ft Worth we will make a few stops along the way. We have never been to SD so this trip will be special. looks like pretty easy access for the motorhome.

Got my application and money sent in this morning for my permit.

Edited by tumbleweed - 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:40pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 3:01pm
Ahhhh, it's good to have so many friends with better skills. Than You Mike! 

I believe for everyones sake, concentrate on arriving at the entry into the town of Hill City, SD. It's at the Northern end of main street that the junction of 385 and 17 are. (Exon Gas Station right there) This is where you head up to Deerfield Lake. You can see the lake in the first overview. 

From the east on I 90, I'd take exit 61 (the next one west of Box Elder) and drive over past Rapid City to Hwy. 16. Take Hwy. 16 towards Mount Rushmore until you hit the Intersection of Hwy. 385 and Hwy. 16. You are just over the small hill from Hill City on the North end. 

From the South, if coming up Hwy. 85 in Wyo., Turn at mule creek Junction and go through Edgemont and then take Hwy. 385 North to Hill City, go through town and find 17. -----------Or, coming up Hwy 79, go through Hot Springs, and turn North at 385 and go to Hill City.

From the West and North, Take Hwy 85 to between Deadwood and Lead. You must jog over a block from 85, and find the junction between Deadwood and Lead that is Hwy. 385. Then south on 385 to Hill City.

Pretty amazing that we can get so far into the back country and stay on pavement. 

Once in camp, I'll monitor channel 3 on my radios, or if you get lost-----605-645-9240 if I have cell reception. 

When you turn off 17 at Deerfield Lake, Look for the sign there that says "Ditch Creek". That same road takes you to Ditch creek campground in 4 miles. The optional camp for big rigs if needed, but it's first come, first serve there. 

As Bruce W. says; "Here we Go" 

update: HWY 17 at the North end of Hill City is not well marked. There is a green road sign that says Deerfield Lake Road. This is right next to the Exon Station. It is exactly 16.2 miles to ditch Creek Road from this Intersection. 

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 27 Jan. 2018 at 10:02pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I'm already surprised so many want to primitive camp------LOL. Jeep folks for sure. 

Who said we want to! , just a small sacrifice one must endure to spend a week with great people! ....... I've slowly been gathering equipment for this! , a couple questions!

1) can we go swimming in Deerfield lake.
2) If we need gas at some point, how far to a filling station, and do they have "Non Oxy"
3) Thinking back last year, and the year before, what type of underground adventure do you have planned!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:09pm
Oilly:

Just bought my 2018 MVU Trail Permit and ordered both the North and South Black Hills trail maps as we are camping close to their dividing line.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again and stirring up some dust on skinny those ATV trails.  Tongue  Yee Haa!  
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

I'm already surprised so many want to primitive camp------LOL. Jeep folks for sure. 

Who said we want to! , just a small sacrifice one must endure to spend a week with great people! ....... I've slowly been gathering equipment for this! , a couple questions!

2) If we need gas at some point, how far to a filling station, and do they have "Non Oxy"
3) Thinking back last year, and the year before, what type of underground adventure do you have planned!

Lee
1. Yes, but you will turn blue---------it's a high mtn. Lake popular with ice fisherman
2. Hill City, 19 miles away has: Cenex, 91 octane, Conoco 85 octane non alcohol gas . Last updated Oct 2017
3. Yes again, the Sand Mines have 3 openings with warnings not to go in there. So we did. LOL

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:20pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Lee

1. Yes, but you will turn blue---------it's a high mtn. Lake popular with ice fisherman
2. Hill City, 19 miles away has: Cenex, 91 octane, Conoco 85 octane non alcohol gas . Last updated Oct 2017
3. Yes again, the Sand Mines have 3 openings with warnings not to go in there. So we did. LOL

Ok!,
1) I'm from MN so I won't turn blue, perhaps a short dip, not a long swim!
2) sounds good, I'll assume they carry provisions there as well and Ice ( or put lakewater in the cooler)
3) I'm in as well, Muley can do his cave Nazi impersonation

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:47pm
Sounds good we will be there if rehab goes well. I am planning on everything being fine. Is there enough height room for the 30+ ft. Toy hauler?
48CJ2A
Tiny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:51pm
I believe that this will be a new record for Stand alone Jeep camping. I'm already thinking of looking up the trail that runs through camp for additional tent spots. We are currently at 21. As usual, I've underestimated you crazy Jeep people.  Last years BHR was amazing. When you think you've pulled ahead enough for all to park, better double that thought. We definately will run two groups out on the trail. The evening war stories should be good. Clap

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 06 Jan. 2018 at 7:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Tiny Tiny wrote:

Sounds good we will be there if rehab goes well. I am planning on everything being fine. Is there enough height room for the 30+ ft. Toy hauler?

Larry! Good to hear from you and I figured this will be a target date you'll aim at in your recovery. Clap

There frankly is limited room for large units because finding a suitable level spot in the "meadow" which is a slight hillside in places will be limited.  New ideas are already forming. Camp Site two has more level areas, but is next to Ditch Creek and may not support big rig weights. I may need the big rigs to go on down to Ditch Creek campground. They have some nice spots in there, but it most likely will not have enough room for all. That's why I thought remote would be the best. We'll do what we can and adapt to needs. 

Keep an eye on this thread. I may go down and re-think my Recon. There are even more options in this area. Deerfield Lake also has two FS campgrounds with the same basic services already described. They all are popular and have a very small number of reserve sites. Stay tuned, oilly
Joe IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 9:35pm
Hi John,

Lisa and I plan on attending also. Sounds like a good time again.

I am anxious to see Lee "roughing it".

Joe
1948 CJ2A "Norm"
1967 M715 "Buttugly"
2014 Ram 3500
2019Jeep Grand Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>