Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huckleberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:38pm
with base camp being off six mile instead of castle creek, Boles Canyon would be the easier way from the west. From Newcastle, hwy 16/85 intersection  head east on hwy16 approximately 8.5 miles. Turn left on fs117 / Boles Canyon road. If you cross into SD on hwy 16 you went too far. You will cross into SD on the gravel shortly. You will head northerly about 18 miles (I am guessing, I have never clocked it). At Moon you will make a right hand turn onto fs301/six mile road. It is approximately 9 miles to four corners / ditch creek road. Stay on six mile road another 2.9 miles to base camp. This route will avoid travel on ditch creek Rd with a trailer. Boles Canyon and six mile are wider and less twisty. I hope this helps. POINT of interest, 3 miles after you turn on six mile you will reach Compton Canyon. Old log barn on the right. You can wave, but I won't be there to wave back. I will be in camp. Dan K
I'm Your Huckleberry!

1953 CJ3B (Huckleberry)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Huckleberry Huckleberry wrote:

Oilly,  would this be sawmill draw? Dan

Nope, Windmill draw, next one east.  Wink

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 04 June 2018 at 11:56pm
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Oilly, for us from the south, do you think it would make any sense to come up from US 16 (from Newcastle) on forest rd 288 (Lightening Creek rd.) which then turns into 291?  It looks to be about a 15 mile+- trip from US 16, which would save us from driving through Custer and Hill City and way north.  Your thoughts on this plan?  288 and 291 look like pretty good roads on the Nat. Geo. map.

Tom, to be honest, I've driven Boles canyon road up to Mallo from Newcastle, and driven from Ditch Creek to Newcastle once in my life. I used a map that had all the main roads only marked like the ones handed out to all during previous BHR's. I can't answer your question since I've never driven that route. There are a few rough spots along all of them due to spring runoff. They are dry and navigable , but you may have to go slow. I also have had to pick up the road markers at intersections to read what the road is. Probably knocked down by winter snows. It's your call. If I was coming from Denver, I would turn off 85 at Mule Creek Junction, go through Edgemont, and hook up on 385 North to Hill City. Gas available and pavement easily driven. Oilly
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:06am
Can someone that is better at Google maps than me drop a pin on the lat Lon coordinates that Oilleaker posted earlier?

I can’t make it work so I can’t find my way. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:12am
Here's a link to a Google Earth map with the roads and trail numbers marked in an overlay. Courtesy  of my lovely wife Linda.  I hope you can open it, It works on mine.

https://outlook.live.com/owa/service.svc/s/GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATE2MTIwLTg4AGY3LWE2MzItMDACLTAwCgBGAAADseqrNF0eN02L1RZqxQxkgQcAlVezB6h0r0KEzunUpi%2B6zgAAAgEMAAAAlVezB6h0r0KEzunUpi%2B6zgABs06kdQAAAAESABAA5F5yen9WBkibHaj7p2UwBg%3D%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=C_cjoAq1kkC0BVhWbazs75CRvTuWytUYlJk69qrpimsyVxqzw61MBmuF_w1Qmv7kdCEsKnwHPZ4.

As far as what Oilly said about the dead standing trees we my have a trail delay or two if we get high winds in the next 2 weeks. Oilly and I will have out trusty chain saws in the lead outfits.
 Yes there are some tight turns on some of the trail detours through the woods so if you have a perfect paint job you may want to add a couple coats of wax before the run. Thumbs Up  We will also be along a few environmentally sensitive areas such as creeks, wetlands and watering holes. These are strictly off limits unless you are walking.
 We had a blast scouting out the new trails and you never know when you are following Wrongway You just might to discover some new areas too!
 Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!
 Wrongway
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Can someone that is better at Google maps than me drop a pin on the lat Lon coordinates that Oilleaker posted earlier?

I can’t make it work so I can’t find my way. 

Stan, take your FS map and load Google Earth if you haven't already on your computer. Type in Deerfield Lake, SD.  Find 291 where it leaves the lake. Then fly down along the road as per my directions with your mouse. At the bottom of the screen with Google Earth, you can read the Lat. and long. It's 5 draws or roads over to the East. My indicated Lat. and Long. readings are right where you turn off the gravel road is. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:54am
Thought I'd mention also that campfires and charcoal is forbidden except in FS campground approved grates in their campgrounds only. A campfire would end our meet so don't even think about it. Wink
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:31am

Can someone that is better at Google maps than me drop a pin .......

Paste this into your google maps:

n 43.926 w 103.783

..... Google maps needs decimal coordinates
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:14pm
A few more recon pictures

RWILLYS (Space R)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:21pm
Thx 4 posting. Keep'em comin'!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:39pm
I don't like seeing how old I look. More Jeeps please---------LOL. Rick R. and Wrongway are a big help to me. Better planning and ideas. We did have allot of fun. The last day we tried a new area and ended up on a hillside completely full of downed trees which hid the actual trail. You had to break trail and fight to get through. Small ATV's were the only tracks there. Those little buggers can turn a absolute 90. I was basically out of chainsaw gas on the last blockage when we entered a area with no bug killed trees. No trees down in there and we bottomed out on the actual trail. We would have had to go back up that mountain if it had continued. I have no plans on taking that trail with the group. Wrongway might-----LOL 
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:46pm
Ha! Oilly you know me to well!  I'll probably at least take another look at it with my big chainsaw and my grapple skidder attachment for the Willys Wink 
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:15pm
OK, for some reason I am getting a message that I can’t insert image in current location. Got to do other stuff now. Unload truck. Rearrange jeeps (got 5 in the shop now and will have 1 more by weekend).

Maybe I’ll delete a bunch of photos and try again.
RWILLYS (Space R)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

OK, for some reason I am getting a message that I can’t insert image in current location. Got to do other stuff now. Unload truck. Rearrange jeeps (got 5 in the shop now and will have 1 more by weekend).

It has been my experience that a picture can not be the first thing in your post. You have to type something first or you get that “can’t insert image at current location” error message.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:32pm

Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

It has been my experience that a picture can not be the first thing in your post. You have to type something first or you get that “can’t insert image at current location” error message.

Actually, if you just click in the white space first, before uploading the pic, you don't even have to type anything.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:27pm
Thanks for the tip Jeff.

RWILLYS (Space R)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:44pm
I s this the turn off to the camp site?

Dropped Pin
near 6 Mile Rd, Hill City, SD 57745

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:54pm

I s this the turn off to the camp site?

Dropped Pin
near 6 Mile Rd, Hill City, SD 57745

Yep, that's it Stan. As you can see, we aren't there yet---------LOL

The well traveled dirt road is not being used due to lots of blow down across it. We traveled the two track in the middle of the grass area. In one of the camp recon photos you can see a couple of FS trucks at the gate and fence line. This is behind or to the rear of camp. We have no trees to bother us out in the middle. Wink 

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 05 June 2018 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>