Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:14am
The Belle Fourche group will be there with campers. We can come early and stake out some real estate. I’ll see what I can come up with for extra water and I’ll have 20 gallons of fuel in the truck. Hope to be back in West Dakota in time to do some more trail recon with you.

Rick (space) R
RWILLYS (Space R)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:05am
We need to meet for sure and put our heads together. More camp planning is needed. As we increase in number, the logistics change. So do the rules. For now, winter is not over, and trails do not open again until May 15th. Wrongway and Rick R. have been real troopers and stepped up to help. Thanks, guys! I'm also getting support from my fellow Colorado and regular Jeep event experts. What a team! 

One thing we need to keep in our minds, we are not near a service center, and are on our own for needs. Plan your own support . Others chip in and help, but don't plan on it. Plan for yourself. It's pack in, and pack out. Tread lightly, and leave no issues behind. I thank you! John 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 4:13pm
Sign me up, John.  Truck, jeep, 2 dogs. 

And a question for the guys that know this area:  Coming up from Wy or Co., might a guy be better off taking the Mallo Rd. from Four Corners which turns in to the West Deerfield Rd. in SD?  It looks like possibly a shorter, more direct route than going all the way to Hill City from Newcastle, but not knowing the road, maybe that would be a mistake.  Need advice on this route.  Thanks!!!

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 08 Jan. 2018 at 5:12pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

We need to meet for sure and put our heads together. More camp planning is needed. As we increase in number, the logistics change. So do the rules. For now, winter is not over, and trails do not open again until May 15th. Wrongway and Rick R. have been real troopers and stepped up to help. Thanks, guys! I'm also getting support from my fellow Colorado and regular Jeep event experts. What a team! 

One thing we need to keep in our minds, we are not near a service center, and are on our own for needs. Plan your own support . Others chip in and help, but don't plan on it. Plan for yourself. It's pack in, and pack out. Tread lightly, and leave no issues behind. I thank you! John 

Just say when and I'll be there for a planning meeting or trail scouting when the snow and mud are gone.  We're here for you John don't try to do this all by yourself!
Cheers!

Wrongway 
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 8:01pm
Tom , got you on the list. As to the route, what I posted is all pavement. You could go to Newcastle on 85 and turn South towards Custer and take the Bowles Canyon gravel road. You will make many turns onto different numbered gravel roads to end up on Ditch Creek Road, but it can be done. I have done it. Those roads are for the most part very good. The road over from Mallo may get a bit tight, bumpy, and more remote. Maybe Tom Rahls or Dan Kierlieber can comment, but I've not taken that way ever. If you still have the tourist tear off map of the Black Hills, the roads are easy to see and follow from Newcastle. 

Wrongway--------I appreciate you being on the team. We will recon the campsites together before the coming meet's time, and decide. Then post the spot for all. 

Rick Rothermel also has contacted me and is willing to help again like he did last year. Thank you Rick! You and Tom Rahls will also get a call when we recon. 4 heads are better than my small one. It has to be small to do this right??????? Dead

Oilly

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 09 Jan. 2018 at 11:13am
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 8:44pm
Oill,y,

Planning on returning again, this time with skinny tires and wheels, a front locker, and a 30ft  toy hauler.
Hauler is pulled by F-150  Supercrew.  Is the Mt Meadows Campground available for last minute fuel, groceries and maybe dinner if we can't fire up a grill?

Fltfndr

Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Oill,y,

Is the Mt Meadows Campground available for last minute fuel, groceries and maybe dinner if we can't fire up a grill?

Fltfndr

I was looking at that too, John.  Their website says they have 24 hr. fuel, store, cafe, and campground.  They don't mention having a group site, but maybe it's worth a call to inquire.  They'd have to drop their rates if we could book the whole place for a week!  Clap
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 11:15pm
I guess my main concern is with all the big rigs coming and the possibility of rain on no gravel pads. I have been in a grass campground with rain. Thats where I learned about Desert Dogs and Terra Tires some 40 years ago., but if a group rate for several of us might work.  I had not considered the possibility of camping there, just maybe gas and ice
Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 12:43am
You are all free to camp and eat there or the FS camps. My plan is for stand alone, and  bring what I need. Their place looks nice over there and it's not far from the trails. We can meet in the mornings before departing. Their prices are KOA all the way. Wink Remember, we are just a bunch of friends going Jeeping. No charge, and nothing is set in stone. If this was a commercial venture, you couldn't afford me. Oilly
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

You are all free to camp and eat there or the FS camps. My plan is for stand alone, and  bring what I need. Their place looks nice over there and it's not far from the trails. We can meet in the mornings before departing. Their prices are KOA all the way. Wink Remember, we are just a bunch of friends going Jeeping. No charge, and nothing is set in stone. If this was a commercial venture, you couldn't afford me. Oilly

He's a cheap date but he aint free.Wink I'll' do what I can do to relieve the overload. Muley..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 5:30am
Tom, On the Mallo route.  The road that drops into Mallo is very steep and has a right and a left turn on gravel.  It could be a hazard.  Thinking about that route I would pick another.   
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Tom, On the Mallo route.  The road that drops into Mallo is very steep and has a right and a left turn on gravel.  It could be a hazard.  Thinking about that route I would pick another.   

Thanks, Tom!  Just what I needed to know.  To look it over on Google Maps, it looks like a fairly straight shot on a fairly good road, but a "tourist" never knows about these things!  I will plan to stick to the paved Hill City route.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 9:48pm
Got to thinking..... We can't let Tumbleweed be the only Texican there..... Time off approved! (No offense Grumpy..... I know your a Texican at heart LOL )
Gary

51 CJ-3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 10:13pm
Gary is also a excellent radio support man. He has the perfect voice and now is up there with M38Mike for radio output. It's a plus and a honor to have him along. Grumpy's Jeep can be see from outer space and also is a help in seeing where the column is at.  Wink (pretty good fellow too). 

As I sit here, a cold front is moving in with snow and wind. It was 45 * at 5 AM and now at 3:10PM is 10 *.  I would rather be on a ATV trail. Maybe go sit in my pickup camper and dream. oh well, summers coming! John
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:53am
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

Got to thinking..... We can't let Tumbleweed be the only Texican there..... Time off approved! (No offense Grumpy..... I know your a Texican at heart LOL )

Thanks gmcjr, It will be great to have another Texan in the gathering.

Glad you got the time off! This is going to be a hoot!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

OH BOY another TEXICAN! Why don't you bring the rest of the state along? ( no offense taken.... The wife says l'm the only living heart donor)  Glad you can make it Gary we will see you there. 👍

Keith
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 5:06pm
Grumpy, you can be their interpreter. Us Yanks have a hard time understanding that Texas language.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Grumpy, you can be their interpreter. Us Yanks have a hard time understanding that Texas language.

But who will interpret Grumpy?  LOLLOLLOL
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>