Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:00am

Edited by 64CJ5 - 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:04am
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:10am
Bruce, I took a second look and yep, it is backwards. I am a southpaw so it is backwards to me. BTW, other than that it looks a lot like mine!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:13am
LOL  It's a Dixie Gun Works rifle. If I remember right, they called it a "Tennessee Mountain Rifle". Flintlock, of course. I used to shoot it a lot. I really like it. It's really very fast, it goes off before I can flinch. Jpet is a heck of a photographer, he caught it during the flash, before the ball left the barrel!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:56am
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Which page 3?  This is page 4.  I do not see any one shooting any thing on page 3 .  

He means the last post on page 2.  You know, that page 3.  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:04am
My first flintlock was a DGW Tennessee mountain rifle flinter except mine is left handed. I have since shot the barrel out and replaced it with a green mountain 54 cal barrel. I also have a "southern mountain poor boy" in 50 cal that I built from scratch. BTW, that is the true name of dixies rifle I found out. Lets bring them in September and if we have time we can throw some lead. I guess we had better get back on the forum subject or Mike will think we hijacked it. See you in September.  Mike 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 6:27am
mine is a older Davide Pedersoli Blue Ridge with the “newfangled” caplock...on the right sideWink
I’ll throw it in for grins come September.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 12:41pm
I've got a pair of Hawken 50 calibers that I'll add to the mix.  My first one is a cap lock Spanish gun with a 24 inch barrel.  My second one is a 2008 custom built 1820 St. Louis Hawken with a 32 inch Sharron barrel.  Heavy as a howitzer, accurate as a lazer.  Shooting a round ball with a thin cotton patch on top of 50 grains of XXXX powder, it won't just hit tacks, it'll drive nails!!  No brag, just fact. Wink

I'm thinking we need to have a shoot, perhaps Tuesday afternoon after the ride.  We'll go over to the Forest and I know of a couple places there where we can set up an expedient rifle range and give folks a chance to "smoke a pole".  So bring your piece if you have one.  Don't forget a well stocked possibles bag.  We'll give pilgrims a chance to ring a gong and make some smoke. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled Jeep chat.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 4:14am
Last year just wasn't my year.  I'm hoping this year will be different.  I'll find out what else on Ol' Unreliable is unreliable.  LOL
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Last year just wasn't my year.  I'm hoping this year will be different.  I'll find out what else on Ol' Unreliable is unreliable.  LOL

How bout you get this done Before FCT!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

How bout you get this done Before FCT!

Lee

Watching Tim pull Old Unreliable off Aspen Ridge and down that hill wide open-----------priceless!
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:57am
I did mean to find out what's unreliable before September, but I thought it was reliable before the 2014 FCT.  When I first got it, I used it for years without the trouble it's given me the last 5 or so.  It was ugly, but it worked!  Wacko

I do appreciate that Tim was willing to yank me out, too!

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:59am
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 5:46pm

I did mean to find out what's unreliable before September, but I thought it was reliable before the 2014 FCT.  When I first got it, I used it for years without the trouble it's given me the last 5 or so.  It was ugly, but it worked!  Wacko

I do appreciate that Tim was willing to yank me out, too!

I recommend to everyone who is planning to attend FCT that they go through their Jeep and check all the systems, all the fluids, all the settings, all the lights, and all the joints to make sure they are in good shape.  Fix them while you have time, and your tools.  You don't want to fix them here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  There is no time!  We're too busy Jeeping or socializing.   And you don't want to have to use my tools.  I got all the wrong sizes, and they're dirty, and everyone else is wanting to use them to fix their Jeeps.  So do us all a favor and fix your Jeeps before you come so we can just enjoy our time here at TDR together.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 6:24pm
Mike, It sounds like you are describing my tools!  I have already started checking everything I can think of on "Joey". I even took out the fuel tank to check if it was rusted or not. Don't want it rusting through in the middle of nowhere and I believe it is original. Mike
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 1:46am
FCT will be upon us before you know it. 

Remember the 7 P’s!

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 1:48am
Okay George, I'll bite...the 7 P's???
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 3:47am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Okay George, I'll bite...the 7 P's???

Big smile  I know what they are, but it's George's deal, so I'll let him tell you....... Clap  BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:59am
You got my curiosity up too!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:01am
m38mike said: "I recommend to everyone who is planning to attend FCT that they go through their Jeep and check all the systems, all the fluids, all the settings, all the lights, and all the joints to make sure they are in good shape."
  This is a very good idea for getting ready for any run, especially those at high altitudes. The most common problem at altitude seems to be fuel delivery, or lack thereof. A fuel delivery system that delivers fuel "without any problems" at lower, "flatlander" altitudes may cause headaches not only for the poor jeep owner, but the entire group! First, (obviously? apparently not) make sure your tank is clean, clean, clean! Running a dirty, rusty tank, thinking a fuel filter will stop the crap, is not the answer. Foreign material in the tank can clog the outlet temporarily and then float free, (try to find that one!) especially on those that have had the fuel line connection shifted to the drain, (Why do you suppose they did that? Because they couldn't get fuel out of the normal outlet? DuhWacko) or the newer replacements that don't have the small tube inside the outlet. Another thing - you cannot trust the new, commonly available fuel filters to clean your fuel. I had one, a major brand, on my 2A and still had rust and dirt in the pump screen. Turns out that the little filter element inside was only glued to the filter housing about 1/2 way around - the fuel and dirt were going right by. If you have dirt and rust and a good fuel filter, the filter will soon become plugged, and cause problems of its own. 
  It is best to NOT use any connections that consist of a piece of hose slipped over a piece of straight tubing. If you must use hose, the tubing should have a "dog-knot" on it to make the hose fit very tightly. I have been almost convinced that the cheap spring clamps are better for this than the worm-screw clamps, which tend to "bunch-up" the hose and cause an air leak. If you have to use the worm-screw clamps, use the right size, not a bigger one screwed down. And for cryin' out loud, if you must use hose, use 1/4" hose on 1/4" line, not 5/16", thinking the clamp will tighten it up. The best set-up is a solid piece of steel tubing from the correct tank outlet to the flex hose at the pump. If you must install a filter on the inlet side (the best place for it), put it here - at the pump inlet, where you can see it and get to it. If you see ANY air bubbles in the glass bowl on your pump, air is leaking into the system on the inlet side, and you don't want air, you want fuel. Another place for air intrusion is at the gasket under the bowl. The fuel flows thru the bowl and into the pump chamber, so the bowl is still on the inlet side. Carry spares! Another is the inlet fitting on the pump. Guys leave them loose because they tighten up facing the wrong way. Do what you have to do, but make that fitting tight, facing the right way. Do not use Teflon tape! One time, taking your carb apart on the trail because of a shred of Teflon tape in the needle valve or one of the jets, will convince you. There will be an air space at the top of the dome, that will almost never go away, but the fuel level must be above the brass screen. If it is not, your pump is pumping air, not fuel. Again - I cannot say it enough - ANY bubbles are too many! You don't see any leaks, you say? It's because air can leak IN, aided by atmospheric pressure, where fuel with no pressure on it cannot leak out.
  Why the rant? How, you may ask, does Bruce know all this, and what makes him an expert? I'll tell you. Several years, on more runs than I care to relate, I fought fuel delivery problems with my 2A. I even had to leave it behind one day at FCT and ride with someone else. (That was a good one - A PO had sealed the gauge sender with silicone. A screw pushed a little "worm" of silicone thru the screw hole into the tank. The gas swelled the worm to the size of a pencil eraser. It plugged the outlet very nicely, then floated away for a while after being blown clear.) I have seen all of these problems and have cured them. I have a clean tank, solid steel from the tank to the factory-made flex line, a good fresh bowl gasket, a tight fitting, no bubbles, and no more problems, right up to over 13,000 ft. And every year, at NCR and FCT, we have delays caused by flatlanders with patched-up fuel lines and hard, dried-up bowl gaskets, that work fine "down below". Mike is being nice, and diplomatic. Me- I'm tired of it. Please, take my advice, fix your fuel system, and maybe you won't have to be "Yanked out of the woods".                 BW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>