Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 12:05pm
"Yanked out of the woods".    Shocked   So that's what a Yankee is!

I helped you on Uncle Lindon that year.  My '43 GPW never had fuel delivery problems anywhere until Ouray Colorado's super high runs. At 10,500 feet, it began to show up. A WW2 Jeep's fuel runs over and up to the top of the firewall on the passenger side just below the hood. Then through a large filter and around the front of the engine. It has the worst fuel delivery system of all Willys Jeeps that I own. The only reason it made it was every 100 feet I had to use the hand assist lever on the WW2 fuel pump. 

This rang a bell that said hey, I like the extra helper arm. Some guys add a electric fuel assist pump. I've seen this work, and not work. That smacks of another problem somewhere. 

A stock military M38 fuel pump also failed me at another of Mike's meets. It has 6 check valves instead of two. ????????  I finally found that the check valves were leaking past the gaskets underneath the check valves. No suction. 

So,  in retrospect, it's advisable to carry a brand new fuel pump with you. I'm guilty of the hose on the tubing with a ring gear clamp. Using flared fittings with barbed hose ends would be the best fix for that. 

This is the most common failure we seem to have and altitude will show it every time. Good Info. to consider. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 1:42pm
Well, I've never been to an AA meeting, but I think we're there.

My name is Katie and I drive a cj2a in some wonderfully ridiculous places. I know where the gas goes into the tank, where is goes from there is a mystery. Thank you Lord for these wonderful men who would fix me on the trail and not grumble a bit.

Okay, would anyone else like to share? I'm learning a lot.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 2:07pm
proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

I have to give credit to my Army buddy for that one!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 2:33pm
Well Katie, I am one of those guys who have and would help you anytime (as well as anyone else), but I am also one of those flatlanders that has been known to have fuel delivery issues from time to time. Angry
But, those that know me, know I have worked non stop on trying to figure my issues out (fuel issues you smart a**es). Kind of hard to test at my elevation. Look forward to seeing everyone on the trails.
Glen
49 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

....But, those that know me, know I have worked non stop on trying to figure my issues out (fuel issues you smart a**es). Kind of hard to test at my elevation. Look forward to seeing everyone on the trails.
I feel your pain Glen, Not all fuel/elevation issues are due to lack of service. On GW I made sure pickup tube was clean and clear, changed, lines, fuel pump, carburetor, even the engine one year. Like you said, Can't test it till you get there. Some jeeps are just allergic I think. People ask me, "why don't you bring Gen'l Willy's anymore?" Well, that's why. I got tired of being, "that guy".
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:08pm
Here is another thought about fuel delivery especially if you are coming from lower altitudes. When you come over either fill up with alcohol free gas or come over low on fuel and fill up here with alcohol free gas here. The alcohol will tend to boil at our high altitudes especially if it is warmed up a bit as happens with the mechanical pump due to its location on the engine. I ran into that on Imogene pass a few years ago. It actually vaporlocked in the pump. I just packed the pump with snow for a short time and was on my way in short order. I could find no problems with the pump but when I went with the "good gas" the problem went away. Also on occasion when I would stop at a higher altitude the carb would boil over and flood the engine making it very hard to start. The glass bowl on the pump would look empty but was actually filled with gas vapor. The station we always go to here has the good stuff. Just a thought for discussion! Mike 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:43pm
... those are exactly the things that happen to mine except it makes no difference what kind of gas you use.

The hill climb by the hot springs on the back way to BV is a great test for anyone who wants to check out their system before hitting the trails. If you can't make it up that hill, you're not going to have a fun week. Make some adjustments/changes before the official runs start.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:23pm
One question, do you have the stock carb gasket with the diffuser on it? That is a thicker gasket and I have seen many jeeps with a thinner gasket on it. That could cause the carb to get hotter than normal. If you are vaporlocking in the fuel pump still, you may have to go to an electric pump. 
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 7:48pm
Glen,
" (fuel issues you smart a**es). "

Good thing you clarified as I was going to step right through that door LOL Seriously, thank you for all the help you have given me on the trail, I enjoy the friendships made through the love of these old machines.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 8:02pm
Dennis, I'm sure you weren't the only one Thumbs Up Like you, that is one of the things I enjoy the most about the trail rides, chipping in and helping out. Or in my case, more often than I care to admit, being helped. Hope to see you guys this summer.
Glen
49 CJ3A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:14pm
I think I can make it this year!

I hope I can make it this year.

Alan
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Why do you suppose they did that? Because they couldn't get fuel out of the normal outlet?

In my case, I did it so I could use 5/16" steel fuel line all the way from the tank to the carb.  It worked just fine--for some time, just not when I really needed it...  It did get me home from Nathrop that night in '16, just fine all the way, though.  Maybe the falling snow helped.  I don't want to see snow when it's the FALL Colors Tour, not the WINTER Colors Tour though, ya know?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I think I can make it this year!

I hope I can make it this year.

Alan

We want you to make it this year!! 

As far as the difference between Fall colors tours and winter colors tours, we don't want to discriminate.  We want you to enjoy all the colors nature has to offer.  So bring a warm coat!!  

And Glen, some times you just have a way with words that makes the rest of us think.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:24pm

And Glen, some times you just have a way with words that makes the rest of us think.  

Yep, all part of the fun Wink
Glen
49 CJ3A
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 7:10pm
Bruce gave fantastic advice.  I know Bruce has the skill set to get anyone up and running on the trail, but I think he would rather be driving his jeep than wrenching.   
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:41am
Mike & Nancy - good news, I got my eyes checked and now see that Diane & I will be making this our 3rd year in a row to join in the fun this year.  Let us know if you need help getting the place ship shape before the run on Monday.  It was a hoot last year getting to know the gang while 'relocating' piles of jeep stuff.... Jim
JeepRobbins
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:03pm
Got a question for those using the FR radios.

I much prefer running with solid copper plug wires on my Willys engines.
But I've never been able to run copper wires and listen to CB radio at same time.
As you know the copper wires create too much static.

Will the the hand held FR radio work around copper plug wires ?
Surely some of you guys are running copper wires right ?
Are the copper wire users not effecting everyones communications ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:32pm
Ken, I'm running solid copper wires and have no problems with radio interference, and nobody has complained that they get noise when my jeep is near them.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 39>