Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Too cold for jeep work, old sewing machine instead
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too cold for jeep work, old sewing machine instead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too cold for jeep work, old sewing machine instead
    Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 12:32am
Its just to cold in  the garage, so today I started refurbishing a 70+ year old Singer sewing machine. Antique and vintage sewing machines are another hobby of mine. This is a heavy duty tailor's machine made in 1945. Hey, at least its from the CJ2A era! 

The table needs some work and the machine needs a thorough disassemble, clean and lube. These are great old machines suitable for upholstery and canvas work too. 

Willys content: I may make a bikini top for my jeep after its finished.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:09am
I have a Singer base/table exactly like that, with a Consew head !!!!!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:35am
Consew is a fine machine!
I made good progress cleaning the machine. It was pretty dirty. 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:40am
There are a lot of small parts. After running them through an ultrasonic cleaner, they look much better!

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 3:19pm
How is the timing belt?  Mine was all cracked on the surface.  It was a pretty easy replacement.  If you replace the timing belt mark the main rear bearing/bushing so you get it back in the exact same place.  There are two set screws that hold it in place.  The one I have is a 1939 machine.  It has been great to sew Willys tops and do heavy canvas work with.

I would like to get a long arm machine with two needles from the 1930 - 1940 period.  

Keep it well oiled when you run it.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 4:32pm
Fortunately, this one does not use a timing belt, it is all mechanical. Timing is set on the needlebar. But the timing is fine, it sewed fine before I tore it down. I just finished the machine this morning and it sews great and is smooth as silk.

The table has some veneer separation issues, so I'm taking care of that before refinishing it. It's a fun little project when it's too cold in the garageSmile
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 4:37pm
In the background of the above photo you may notice another old beast. It's a Singer 29-4 cobbler's machine made in 1916. It was in sad shape when I got it. It had taken a fall and broken a number of small pieces in the needle head and walking foot. It took a lot of work, but it sews great now.

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 5:25pm
That's funny, I've been doing the same thing, but all of mine are the table top carry type.
The one I'm working on now is a Singer Featherweight I paid 15 dollars for and looked like
it came out of a old leaky shield. I have it cleaned up and paint the bad spots and have it
running now. Still a little work on the timing and tensioning still to do.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 6:05pm
wow - you stole that featherweight! I'm sure you know they can go for crzy money. I have over 40 machines, almost all are home size. I like the early and odd ones especially. One example is this is a Howe model A from around 1870 that I brought back to life. It's a sweet little machine.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 7:04pm

I picked this one up at a yard sale down the street - the first two days I didn't bother to ask the price because I thought it would be crazy high like a lot of her stuff. The third day "everything must go!" and there was a roll-off dumpster in the driveway. I was going to offer $100 when I saw that it now had a price tag on it - $50.
  All of the drawers and the stool are full of thread, needles, attachments, and what I guess they call "notions" - buttons, binding, lace, etc. 
  I would love to learn more about it, and how to use it. I hate to think it would have gone in that dumpster had I not gone back that day!      BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 7:18pm
if i'm not mistaken, that's a Singer model 15-91. I can't see the back, but it appears to have the gear driven potted motor, rather than the common belt drive motor. That is a real top of the line model, comparable to the model 201, except on this one the feed dogs drop. That's a popular feature for folks who do free motion quilting. 

More info and the manual are here.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 7:33pm
That is a 15-91, and that is the other model I'm working on now. Not having at much luck with it yet.
RICH

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 7:48pm
  1. some quick photos of my toys
RICH

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 8:26pm
Thanks for the link, chf, I learned some things about my machine already. It was made sometime between 1938 and '41, or in 1947. The cabinet is Model #42. Looks like sewing machine mfgr's (or at least, Singer) halted production during the war and resumed after the war with the pre-war model until new models could be designed and production started. Just like the auto mfgr's. I know I've heard of M1 Garands or M1 Carbines, or both, being made by Singer. I'm really pleased to find that my sewing machine was produced around the same time as my jeeps!
  I dug out another sewing machine that I almost forgot that I had - It looks very similar to my Singer, but it is belt-driven. It's a Montgomery Ward, made in Japan. I'd bet that it's post-war.
  Thanks again.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 8:45pm
I'm surprised and pleased to see others here share this sewing machine interest. I was drawn to old sewing machines 7 or 8 years ago. I love all kinds of old mechanical things. The precision and design of these machines is fascinating. I'm constantly amazed at the engineering that went into these things.

The 31-15 I'm working on was made in September of 1945, right at the end of the war or right after. The wartime machines were mostly blackout models. Meaning most of the plating was replaced by chemically blued parts. Some of these blackout models continued into the 50s. I have a blackout model 128 with crinkle finish from 1951.

There are a lot of parallels to post war jeep production.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

In the background of the above photo you may notice another old beast. It's a Singer 29-4 cobbler's machine made in 1916. It was in sad shape when I got it. It had taken a fall and broken a number of small pieces in the needle head and walking foot. It took a lot of work, but it sews great now.

Awwwww! My granddad, who was a shoe repairman from 1917 to 1962 had one in his shop just like that. What a beauty!

I remember my dad sewed us boys a tent on granddad's machine and it was really heavy duty canvas. The original project was a cover for his Yellowjacket runabout boat, but he had canvas left over and we boys got the tent. Did many an overnighter in it when we were kids.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 11:52pm
If anyone is interested in more details of the Singer 29-4 cobbler machine resurrection, I documented the project over on the Victorian Sweatshop forum.

Today I worked on the 31-15's table a litle more, then sanded, prepped and painted the table stand. Lastly, I polished the nickle plated lamp and installed a new socket and LED bulb. Made a lot of progress.
Steve
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 12:53am
Looks like a serious amount of finger pinch potential, very cool though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>