Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Too cold for jeep work, old sewing machine instead
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too cold for jeep work, old sewing machine instead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 8:16pm
Just FYI, but this is the best set of free sewing machine repair manuals anywhere. They cover the common Singer models 66,99,15 and 201s.  They have step by step detailed instructions with photos.  I printed these out and have them in a binder.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 12:18am
I was painting some parts tonight ans thought maybe you guys would be interested in my little paint booth. I made this up a couple years ago when it was too cold to paint outside. It's just a cardboard box with a furnace filter and box fan on top. The fan runs on low to pull the excess paint mist into the filter. There is a rod running through the side of the box with coat hanger hooks to hang things. I'm always painting small parts of one sort or another. This let's me paint in the basement where it's warm and dry. 

It can be used for Willys parts too!

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 2:30am
That's really a good idea. I may have to give it a try.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 11:33am
As an aside. My wife's father was an accountant for Singer back when it was a top notch blue chip company and people invested heavily in the stock. You guys know; when so much was mfd. in the USA. Very interesting. Thanx.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 12:51am
I've made good progress over the last few days. Got the table repairs done, then sanded, stained and 3 coats of finish on it. All the small parts have been cleaned and painted as needed. I put new feed dogs in the machine and a new matching needle plate. Just an hour ago the new electronic servo motor arrived. I'll give the table a couple days to cure, then start putting it all back together.

It's warming up a bit here, so hopefully I can get back to work on the Willys brakes soon!
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 12:16am
The only warm days here I was at work. Now that I'm off again it is as cold as hell.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 1:13am
I got hit hard by a stomach bug today. No Willys or sewing machine work until I get over itDead
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:57pm
I finished up the sewing machine project yesterday morning. A friend came over in the afternoon and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So its gone off to a new home and will be used to make 19th century period garments.

Now I can get back to jeep work LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12