Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2018 - Event Date: 17 July 2018 - 22 July 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:54pm
Thumbs Up
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Now, where do you suppose we might find some Jin-you-wine Idaho Spuds, Oilly? Wink
How many ya need??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:56pm
Shocked  Maybe one would be enough..........   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:01pm
Yer gonna need a bigger pot...
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Mike and I are both watching for any news from the FS. I would imagine that the idea of closing the forest has come up in their circle as well as ours. 

BW

I think we just heard the young boy crying "wolf".  The young boy being the unknown FS employee speculating on a Forest-wide closure.

The probability of the Forest closing the entire forest to the public is slim to none.  They will close areas affected by fires or floods while they are being affected.  But in 25 plus years of working for the Forest Service I've never seen an entire National Forest closed because of a possible fire.  Currently they have some closure areas around the Sugarloaf Fire west of Denver.  The Sugarloaf fire does not affect where we'll be camping.  It's a long way away.

The Badger Creek fire in Wyoming may affect us with smoke.  It's only 25 miles away, and upwind of our campsite.  It's 21,000 acres and growing slowly.  But they reduced the staffing on the fire to a type 3 team so the Regional Fire big whigs don't see the fire as a big threat.  Besides, it's 80% contained so it should only annoy us with some smoke at most.  

Bottom line on this is that we'll have to have a fire in the general area near our camp site before the area would get closed to the public.  And if there were to be a fire close by, we would not want to be there anyway.  So pray that no one leaves a campfire burning when they leave the forest, and that there are no thunderstorms between now and then.  If that prayer is met, then we'll have a great week of Jeeping and fun in a very scenic National Forest. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Runs with Beer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runs with Beer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 9:04pm
Runs with Beer and Mountain MA ma will be there and will bringing barley and turnips and some kind of meat for the soup! Beef or ham.
Original Side×Side

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 10:17pm
Our county commissioners put on fire restrictions today effective immediately and running through 8/3. 

Shouldn't really affect us, but good to know going in.

Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:54am
  I just made some changes to the post on page 5. So far it looks like 9-12 jeeps, a nice-sized group, and the stew is coming along nicely. 

Two Weeks!  BW

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 11:31am
We're up to 11 large fires in CO, but the closest fire to our Jeeping area is the Badger Creek fire in WY.  It's holding steady at 33 square miles and 90% contained.  In the last week we've been averaging 15 new fire starts every day, but fire crews have been able to get on them very quickly and either contain or kill them before they blew up.  Lots of stupid campers out there leaving campfires burning when they pack up to go home.  A few of the starts have been lightning caused. 

We're still under Stage 1 fire restrictions which I posted before.  No change to that.  

Weather wise it looks like there will be afternoon thunderstorms in the area the weekend before our rides, and clearing skies starting on Tuesday.  Not sure yet what the rest of the week will look like.  Temps look like highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's.  So chilly mornings and T-shirt afternoons.

Edited by m38mike - 08 July 2018 at 11:38am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 7:34pm
M38Mike said, "...Temps look like highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's.  So chilly mornings and T-shirt afternoons."

Sounds good to me! Clap  BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runs with Beer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:29am
What day do you plan to make the stone soup?
Original Side×Side
Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:16am
Hey everybody, so I thought I was gonna be able to do shirts for the run, but work and life went kind of crazy and I have just run out of time. That being said, I can do the shirts after the run and give them out at FCT or mail them. I will send a sticker with my dad and he can take orders while he is up there.
Sorry everybody!
Sarah
48CJ2A
Tiny
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:07pm
Since our Baofeng radios also receive FM radio I thought I'd check out what radio stations might be available out of Laramie.  That's the closest town, and we almost have line-of-sight to town from our camp.  What I found is a pretty good mix of music types available out of Laramie.  Here's the list.

88.5   Classical
90.1   Jazz
91.9   Public Radio
95.1   Country
98.7   Classic Rock
102.9 Oldies

Cheyenne also has quite a list of radio stations that we may be able to get.  Even Chugwater has a Christian Contemporary station.  So if you're looking for some tunes to enjoy around camp, or out on the trail, this list of stations should reach us pretty well.  These stations may also help us keep an eye on changing weather in the area, or any news of fires that may start nearby.  

Don't know how to get FM radio on your Baofeng?  Quickly press and release the top button on the left side of your radio.  That puts the FRS frequency into the background and turns on the FM receiver.  Then use the up and down arrows to change the frequency and find a FM station you like.  The handy part of the Baofeng is that if you get a radio call on the FRS frequency, it will temporarily stop the FM broadcast and will change to the FRS channel as long as someone is talking.  Once the FRS talk has stopped for a few seconds then it will automatically go back to the FM radio station.  No it will not receive AM radio signals.  Just FM.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:15pm
Personally, one of the things I have always enjoyed about our runs and our camps, is the absence of radio noise. It's one of the things I go to the mountains to escape. I'm not going to say "No music allowed" I'll just ask you to keep it to yourself. Thanks. BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:34pm
Planning to make the trip, BW if you still have room.  Put me down for mushrooms and some wild rice. 

A bit foggy on the timing again...is everybody getting there on Tues. now, or Wed. or what is the plan?  Just show anytime and put in a claim for some level ground?

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 11 July 2018 at 9:02pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:54pm
Tom, you can take up my slack.  My project just kicked into high gear.  Working long days for a stretch.   Frankie and i cant make it.  Major bummer.  Bruces ride is awesome.  Take lots of pics for me.

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 11:23pm
  We have plenty of room, Tom, especially now that Lew won't be there. WinkLOL Just pick a spot and throw down your stuff.
   Show up whenever you like. It sounds like some are going to show up in camp as early as Sunday. I don't know if I'll be able to be there that early or not, but I hope to. The event doesn't really start until Wednesday, but those who are there early can make impromptu runs if they desire. As you know, my runs are mostly "impromptu" anyway. I figure the early part of the week to allow folks to come in, set up camp, and then set in the shade with a cold drink and relax while they watch the newcomers set up.Big smile
  BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runs with Beer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:16pm
We are planning to be there Sunday. As of right now we are enjoying Wyomings Medicine Bow mountains running the trails around Esterbrook.
Original Side×Side
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:40pm
I plan on arriving Mon PM. I've got a 5lb bag o' spuds for the stew..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>