Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2018 - Event Date: 17 July 2018 - 22 July 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 7:14pm
Thumbs Up  You've got it, Muley! It will be great to see you! It's been a long time! Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:25pm
Is this the right place?

dDropped Pin

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:10pm
Looks like it. BW

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:06am
Bruce, I just checked into fire conditions and Larimer county does not have any fire restrictions, and the National Forest does not have any restrictions currently for that area.   As you know, we've got lots of hot weather to come between now and then, so we'll keep an eye on the web sites where the restrictions get published.   At this point I'm adding marshmallows to my grocery list for NCR.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:24am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

At this point I'm adding marshmallows to my grocery list for NCR.  

Graham crackers and hersheys too?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

At this point I'm adding marshmallows to my grocery list for NCR.  

Graham crackers and hersheys too?
Already have them as camp staples, but may have to increase the quantity.  Good point! 

And speaking of camp eating, we'll add some diced up summer sausage for the rock stew.  We'll dice it up bite size so it's easier to ladle up and eat.  Bruce are you bringing your big stirring spoon with you or are we gonna have to go find a clean big stick again?  

Edited by m38mike - 28 June 2018 at 1:23pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 8:35pm
Good news Mike! It would be great to be able to have a real campfire. Even so, great care must be taken, and every camp should have a fire bucket and shovel.

I think the stick lends a special flavor to the stew, and it's kinda gotten to be a tradition, like the stew itself.

It would help if everyone could let me know what they intend to bring for the stew, so I can make sure we don't have a big pot of potato soup. So far it looks like summer sausage soup. Step up, folks! I'm sure you will step up when it's time to serve!Big smile

I suppose a headcount of prospective jeepers would help as well, so we all will know about how much of each ingredient to bring. We might need two pots again.

BW

Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 9:09pm
I got a big spoon I will bring, I will bring chrizo and keolbasa.
48CJ2A
Tiny
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:04pm

Not sure I can make it but I'm gonna give it a helluva try. Are these directions coming from the west still current? (I suck with lat/long and google earth). a paper map would sure help.. This was posted by M38Mike last year..

If you are coming from the west, either follow 14 from Walden to Chambers lake and go north on 103, or from Woods Landing, WY go south on WY-10.  It will become 103 at the CO line.  From the intersection of County Road 103 and 80C, go east about 11.5 miles and watch for the meadow on the left with a two-track trail going through it.  That is where our camp will be. 

If you look on Mapquest use the address 35350 Sand Creek Rd, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, and it will take you right to the turn into the meadow where we'll camp.

Bruce, Mike.. For the uninitiated (me) is there a paper map showing the roads in from Laramie that a guy who failed his tracking merit badge in Cub Scouts could use in conjunction with the written directions? If so please post.. I tried the mapquest thing with no joy.. Muley..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:22am
  I think I might have a Wyoming hiway map around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. If I do, I can mark it and send it to you. Or maybe someone can download and print one or part of one and mark it for you. I don't have a printerOuch. There's probably a way to download the map, mark it on "paint" or something, and e-mail it to you. That's 'way beyond my pay grade.Confused   BW

aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:33am
Rick, I like the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps.  #111 "Red Feather Lakes / Glendevy" is the one you want that shows the camp.  #113 might also be useful getting you there from Wyoming.  They are waterproof and tearproof.  The Colorado and Wyoming Gazzetteers always come in handy too. 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:48am
Count me in Bruce! I'm bringing onions and celery, maybe green chilis. Yes, veggies. I hope you'll let me stay anyway ….
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:57am

Not sure I can make it but I'm gonna give it a helluva try. Are these directions coming from the west still current? (I suck with lat/long and google earth). a paper map would sure help.. This was posted by M38Mike last year..

If you are coming from the west, either follow 14 from Walden to Chambers lake and go north on 103, or from Woods Landing, WY go south on WY-10.  It will become 103 at the CO line.  From the intersection of County Road 103 and 80C, go east about 11.5 miles and watch for the meadow on the left with a two-track trail going through it.  That is where our camp will be. 

If you look on Mapquest use the address 35350 Sand Creek Rd, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, and it will take you right to the turn into the meadow where we'll camp.

Bruce, Mike.. For the uninitiated (me) is there a paper map showing the roads in from Laramie that a guy who failed his tracking merit badge in Cub Scouts could use in conjunction with the written directions? If so please post.. I tried the mapquest thing with no joy.. Muley..

Muley, if you'll pm me with a good email for you I can give you the directions from Laramie to NCR camp.  In the mean time, here's a fair map to show you the way.  It's about 2 hours from Laramie to camp.  This will take you from Laramie to Woods Landing (30 minutes) on WY 230, then on to camp using my directions above.  All the roads in CO coming this way will be gravel or dirt.  Take your time.  We'll leave the light on for you.  

P.S.  Be sure to watch your mileage once you are on 80C/Sand Creek Road.  It feels much longer going to camp than it really is from County Rd 103.  11.5 miles.  BTW there is a large corral at that intersection (103 and 80C), and it was well signed last time I was there.

Edited by m38mike - 29 June 2018 at 10:54am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 12:05pm
Muley, here's another option that is shorter, with fewer hills to climb, but more gravel to travel.

This route is 39 miles Laramie to NCR.  From 230 turn left on county road 37. Turn right on CR 34.  Cross into CO.  34 becomes 89 in CO.  At end of 89 turn left on 80C.  Go 3.7 miles to NCR camp.  Once you leave WY 230 you will be on gravel, but it's good road all the way through.  And you don't have the hills to climb like on the west end of 80C.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:05pm
Thanks Mike, much better resolution than I was getting.. Muley
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:16pm
  It seems that they grade 80C and 103 about once a year, usually about a week after I have to use them. Be aware.

Got a good deal on about 1-1/2# of German Sausage today, it will go into the rock stew. About the time I picked it up, a thought hit me - Why not throw in a can of Kraut? On the list for the next grocery store trip.Big smile  BW

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:25pm
My mouth just started watering. I still have the HBR stock that was in the camper all ready to go until--------------------------"Bud" showed up. Angry 17 days until launch. Tours begin Tuesday right?
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:58pm
I'm very jealous! .... There seems to be plenty of roadkill to add to the meat pot, don't rule that out!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>