Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID Help. Barn find, less the barn!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID Help. Barn find, less the barn!?!
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:02pm
Hello all. I'm new to the forum but not rebuilding Jeeps. Refurbed a 72 CJ5 a year ago and I can't get rid of the virus. So, I found the next project to occupy my time and drain my wallet. The PO said he "drove it up there three years ago" -BUT- it smoked A LOT after replacing the piston rings. He said he drove it 3 or 4 miles and the smoke abated a little, but still a mosquito killer. He was discourage and quit. So now it's mine. After getting it home and melting the snow what I found seems to be a mis-mash of many things Jeep. From the research I've done on the forum I believe the engine, frame, and tub are from different eras. 

Does the glove box offer any clues on the type of tub?

Kaiser "Supersonic" head. Casting 141422

Serial number stamped on boss near water pump U81198A. Above the serial number is stamped 644.
Also, what is that sheet metal fin under the water pump bolt?
Block casting numbers 10-19 641087-L-W7 A N1-CR-N2    with a CC above all that.

Carb is a Carter WO 146-249

Transmission T90A-1
Tranfer is a Spicer 18

Rear diff with tag 43:8

Front diff with same tag, 43:8

The steering bell crank is mounted on the frame cross tube, not the axle. PO said it was all together, flat fenders and a 9 slot grill!

What I found so far:
-engine is from a '48 wagon or truck. 
-frame not sure. CJ2 or 3?
-Tub. No idea.
===================================

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is always a way....
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:21pm
I'm guessing the shield is to keep from blowing the flame out of the spark plugs... LOL  seriously looks like a bubba mod to help keep water spray from the fan off the spark plugs during a water crossing

yep jeep salad... bunch of parts tossed together to keep it running, are the carb mount bolts inline with the crankshaft or 90 deg to it( Kaiser motor had the different intake and super sonic head, same motor as jeep Lhead though 

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:25pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:44pm
The glove box and 9-Slot grill do give clues.... They appear to be military, Ford GPW Or Willys MB. No tailgate also could indicate military.... Cool find, enjoy!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:28pm
5.38 gears, bell crank on cross tube, t90 transmission, Those are CJ characteristics. Grill, no tailgate and glove box are military.
Weird stuff  going on in the bed.
Looks like a fun mystery to sort out.

Welcome to the forum.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:03pm
Welcome!

It is hard to tell what you have - looks like it will be a great project!

Here is what I see:  It does have some early civilian (CJ2 / WW2) Jeep favor -  Grill, glove box.  The rear of the tub is custom.  With all that snow I cant see any CJ2A bow pockets or bracket.  Dana 25 has the heavy (sought after heavy metal front cover).  The frame does not have extender mounted under the bump stops like the farm jeeps had - but the front exhaust manifold stud is long like is used when a governor is installed.  Supersonic head is nice and give an few extra horse.  It has a Cj2a/3a parking brake.  Looks like a 6 volt generator based no step in the back of the case.  The key coil mount looks like it is being used as a bracket to hold a coil in the engine compartment.  Hard to tell but it appears to not have a skid plate on the engine oil pan.

All good stuff to build a cool trail jeep.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 9:01pm
Many Jeeps in there. ( Like a bunch of them are after 70 years roaming around)

Also look like a decent start for a project.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:56am
Bubba flat-out molested that tub.  If it was actually an MB/GPW tub, it sure isn't now, though the glovebox certainly suggests MB/GPW.  Can't tell if it's an actual MB/GPW grille.  It might be repro, though the OD on that front fender may argue against it.  The back end of the tub is Bubba custom, as is the front floor. 

The rear axle is a Dana 41, so that's 2A.  So the sheetmetal may be WWII and the frame and running gear 2A.  Not restoration material, just make it go and have fun!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 2:37am
Welcome to the "nobody cares how I build it club"

Mine currently has parts from 27 different Jeeps (many of them new service parts from much later years then the 1948 title) They include Body mount brackets and the right motor mount from a 1946 CJ-2A Frame from 1957ish CJ-5 engine from a 1959 DJ-3A rear axle from a 70 1/2-71 CJ-5 Front axle from a 1948 CJ-2A (the one from the title) The Clutch is mid 1960's CJ-5 the Brakes late 1960's Wagoneer, Steering Jeepster Commando like, Master cylinder 1972 CJ-5 Windshield 49 CJ-3A and on and on.

If you want a near perfect restoration your going to need to start with a different critter. If you want a fun jeep Build it how you want. Your not going to be responsible for messing up a piece of history.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bob 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 11:31am
Thanks to everyone's critical-eye identifying the ingredients of my jeep salad. I agree it is not restoration material, but it will be fun to bring back to life regardless. The local chatter has already reached "a guy who knows a guy" and I sourced a correct radiator. This guy had parts, frames, and engines. And I spotted a restoration worthy -2a for my follow-on project in his storage shed (he doesn't know this just yet). I think I need medical help. Anyway, this critter will be my focus for the foreseeable future. 

The crankshaft turned over easily by hand. The carb throat was well sealed with duct tape. There was no water in the engine oil. Removed spark plugs and squirted some oil into the cylinders and rotated the crankshaft by hand a few revolutions. With the spark plugs still removed, placed a battery in and spun the engine with the starter to remove excess oil. Then did a compression check:

1-115, 2-115, 3-90, 4-115

Feeling the wind at my back, I cleaned and replaced the spark plugs, traced the wires from from the key to the coil to the distributor and repaired all loose/bad connections. Filed burnt points and reset gap. Installed newly sourced radiator and rigged up a temporary fuel tank system. With my trusty fire extinguisher nearby, the engine started! Big smile And smoked! This prompted a drivetrain evaluation as the shop's atmosphere was rapidly loosing its ability to support human life. It moved out of the shop under its own power to idle for awhile. 

After a while, (I was too excited to provide an accurate elapsed time) the engine temp reached 180. Then 200. At 210 I shut it down. Very minimal smoke at this point. Pushed it back in the shop and after it cooled pulled the thermostat housing. Searched this forum on my handy mobile device and discovered more bubba fixes. The spacer for the thermostat was a piece of radiator hose jammed in the housing, and there was not a 1/8" hole drilled in the thermostat. Those parts are on order.
====================================
Questions:

- Can anyone identify this water pump? I may replace it for good measure. You saw the snow. I will need a heat system.
- Ugly ugly ugly front frame. Any suggestions on the best quality replacement front frame rails?

Enough rusty photos. I'll finish this post with a shiny picture of my '72 CJ-5. I drive it most days....except if its -15F outside, or above 80F, or if it snowing, or raining. My wife calls her Goldilocks; she only come out if its juuust right!

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Bob 201 Bob 201 wrote:

You're such a tease...  Let us have a better look at that blue beauty.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Bob 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 10:01pm
I don't want to hijack my own thread, but here are a few more photos of the '72. The LED shop lights and phone camera make hue a bit lighter. The photo above is a more representative color. 

Stock 232 I6. New timing gears and chain. 88K and still strong.
T14 three speed. I rebuilt with Novak kit. 
86 CJ7 pedals with Novak hydraulic slave clutch kit (pedals are a royal pain to make fit, Novak stuff easy)
86 CJ5 steering column (another PIA mod)
32/36 Weber carb
JB Custom Fabricators transfer case shift levers (original was single-lever, didn't work well at all)
Drop-in HEI ignition by CRT Performance (drop-in distributor, add power wire, drive away. Lick and stick!)
Another heater is under the wood center consul. (I spent a lot of time fitting original heater in the fiberglass tub, what a waste of said time. Stock heater outputs noise, no heat.)
Hurculiner on interior surfaces. (smelly stuff to apply, but tough and looks nice.)

A  sprayed the paint in his body shop. For payment I welded in body panels on rusted trucks. Now I'm there 4 days a week and have a new friend.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 6:36am
Although my '89 YJ is red (they didn't make a blue I liked in '89) blue is my favorite color.  I like the 5! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply