Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Staring rebuild serial# questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by bocephus0697 bocephus0697 wrote:

...does the gap in tub and tailgate numbers concern you?

I'll sleep ok LOLWink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 11:00pm
Welcome to the madness!

Since those numbers may well be stock from the factory, I would not give them another thought. Who knows why they do not match, IMHO, Willys did not care even a little bit about getting the numbers to match. They cared about building & selling these Jeeps. No customers cared about "matching numbers" in those days. Most still do not care. It is only the "collectors" that care. Heck, I do not care about that myself. I want a good running Jeep that fits my needs.

A few questions if I may,
1. What are your end game plans for this Jeep? Wheeling, Daily Driver (DD), or a weekly ice cream getter?
2. Have you ever done a "frame off" restoration before? It can be very frustrating.
3. You do plan on having help from the driver in the first picture, right? My boys & I did a similar project together. It was fun! We will always remember that one.

Now a few comments. I am a don't fix what ain't broke kind of guy, so keep that in mind when you evaluate these comments. That is a good start for a project. I would have gotten it running & driving before I pulled the tub off. That way I would have had a better idea as to what needed attention, & what was just fine as is. For example, does the seat work for you as is or do you want to move it further aft? Does the engine run fine or does it need a complete rebuild? Do you want an overdrive? The list is endless.

Whatever you do, do not get so discouraged as to just quit on this old girl. Ask any question you have. There really is only one bad question, it is the one that you did not ask! It can cause you some real grief. We do not mind "stupid" questions. When you use the search feature, click on the "advanced" button, otherwise it is useless.

That is enough for now. IHTH, Cpt Logger.

bocephus0697 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bocephus0697 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 3:54pm
Thanks for that. To answer your questions. My end game is to have it look like it did in 1947 when it rolled off the showroom floor. It will be driven, but only on nice days and not off-road. I have never done a frame of before. I'm mechanical, but not a mechanic. I do have a good friend that is a certified jeep mechanic that will help on the more technical stuff. Yeah.  He's my youngest I have three boys that will be helping me. That's the best part. 

I really appreciate the help. This board is great! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bocephus0697 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Welcome.

What is the engine number?  It can be found on the boss just above the water pump on the front of the engine.  Matching numbers on a mid production Willys Jeep is not something that really ever happened at the factory.

Post some pictures.  Dash, engine compartment, Rear seats, and so on.

Sounds like a winner so far.  Keep that step on the passenger side.   They are not that common and if you don't want it post it in the for sale section of the 2A Page someone else will want it even if it is in bad shape.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bocephus0697 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 3:59pm
Body tag is a bit rough but it looks like there's enough there to thi k it's a match. What does the engine number tell you? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bocephus0697 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 4:01pm
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:48pm
   Geeze Louise !

That transmission / transfer case assembly looks petrified !

This may be the first time it will be cleaned and de-greased.

You have yourself a top-notch project for re-furbishing.

So the real-rusty plate lower photo, is that on the engine block ?
   on the rear passenger side ?

She's a keeper ........ hahaha

Len
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:13am
Just a thought on your project.  If you make it too nice you will not want to do a lot of cool stuff you can do with an old Jeep.  I have two CJ2A's because I ended up going way to far with the rebuild.  So I built a second one that gets used for everything except a car show.  The restored one gets out maybe 3 or 4 times a year on a big year and that is only if the weather is perfect.  It never goes anywhere that is not paved - no gravel parking lots, no wet roads, no dusty areas - It travels in an enclosed trailer.  My kids will drive the trail jeep but no one drives the restored Jeep.  The restored Jeep is stored in a dedicated garage on jack stands (in two wheel high - the four wheel drive has not been engaged for 12+ years)- the trail Jeep is sitting outside under a canvas tarp with a snow plow mounted ready to go (in low range, four wheel drive engaged - used it earlier this week).

I would not advise taking your Jeep back to as delivered condition.  If you could take it back to used a year or two after delivery condition - that would look cool and it would be usable.  It will cost a lot less to do also.

My 2 cents.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12